BELFAST, Maine — Police are still searching for suspects in last week’s string of brazen home burglaries which have left many in the community on edge.
“I just really hope they find those guys and quick, before somebody gets hurt,” Belfast City Councilor Mike Hurley said Tuesday morning.
Altogether, eight homes were reported broken into last Wednesday and Thursday nights, with residents home for at least half of them. All burglaries took place in the residential district, with some occurring in the Ocean Street area near the shore of Penobscot Bay.
In at least one case, items were taken from the bedroom in which residents slept. The burglars are gaining entrance through locked and unlocked doors and windows, according to police.
Belfast Police Chief Mike McFadden said that no further burglaries have been reported since Thursday.
“Just be aware,” he said Tuesday.
McFadden urged residents to keep their outdoor lights on, to keep a telephone handy and to pay attention to things such as dogs barking in the middle of the night.
“The most important thing is to call when you hear something,” he said. “I’d much rather respond and tell you it was a skunk in your trash can, then come in five or six hours later and tell you your house was broken into.”
He also encouraged residents to be careful and use common sense, should they have an interaction with one of the burglars.
“If you wake up and there’s someone in your bedroom, don’t give chase to them,” he said.
While many — including some Bangor Daily News online commenters — have talked about how they will be arming themselves in response to the burglaries, McFadden said he hopes caution will rule the day.
“Obviously, this is a very dangerous situation,” he said. “I’d hate to see someone innocent get hurt.”
The chief said if residents hear something in the night that seems unusual, they should call 911.
Anyone with information about the break-ins can call police at 338-2420.