Comments for: Father recounts son’s last moments trying to save his family in Orrington fire

Posted Nov. 13, 2012, at 8:05 p.m.
Last modified Nov. 14, 2012, at 3:05 p.m.

ORRINGTON | The man who lost his life Saturday morning in a fire was awakened by a fire alarm he had purchased hours before and died trying to save his three young children after saving his wife, his father said Tuesday. “He took one deep breath and said I …

Guidelines for posting on bangordailynews.com

The Bangor Daily News encourages comments about stories, but you must follow our terms of service.

  1. Keep it civil and stay on topic
  2. No vulgarity, racial slurs, name-calling or personal attacks.
  3. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked.
The primary rule here is pretty simple: Treat others with the same respect you'd want for yourself. Here are some guidelines (see more):

  • Anonymous

    Heartbreaking….tragic….Christine I am so sorry for your losses

  • Anonymous

    I truly wish that I could do something monetary for her but I cant right now, so I hope my thoughts and prayers are enough. I am SO incredibly sorry for your loss!

  • Anonymous

    That’s all you took from this?

  • Lisa Beck

    What possible good does your post do…besides making you look ignorant with no compassion. If that was your intent well then you did well.

  • blalack family

    Such a sad loss for the mom and her family prayers for all of you.may you find comfort in your community and know others feel your loss.

  • Anonymous

    No matter what the cause or what others think we all agree this is tragic and everyone with compassion has felt this families heartbreak, There is no better man who would lie his life down for his family and that makes Ben Johnson a hero in my heart and eyes. He saved his wife and his only thought was saving his children and died with more honor than most. We all can take a lesson from his selfless last act and I only hope my life will be as meaningful when they write my epitaph. So sorry Mr. Johnson for the loss of your son and grandchildren but am heartfelt you are their for your daughter-in-law who needs you more than ever. Bless your whole family.

    • He was a good man and a great father.

  • Anonymous

    So did he buy a fire alarm, as the reporter first says, or did he buy a smoke detector? The two are not the same.

    • Anonymous

      Still waiting for that call from the BDN that they’ve got positions available?

      • Anonymous

        What??????

    • Anonymous

      Seriously is that all you care about. Not that Bangor daily will remove your comment, but they should, Its disgusting all you care about is that

      • Anonymous

        It’s disgusting to comment on a story? Reader comments aren’t supposed to be limited in scope to expressing condolences or sympathy. That’s the purview of the obituary guest books. Reader comments can be used for those things, of course. There’s nothing wrong with that. But nor is there anything wrong with readers dicsussing issues involved with a particular story (such as whether the law sufficiently covers the installation and use of smoke detectors). Additionally, there is nothing wrong or “disgusting” about pointing out a reporting error. That’s part of the story, and fair game for comment, no matter what the story is about. As a writer myself, I welcome corrections, regardless of the story.

    • You’re a complete joke.

  • Pamela 058

    yes this is heartbreaking…what this poor woman is going through in beyond me

  • cristi

    Devastating so sorry

  • jasmine stevens

    This is so tragic they say the good die young and in this case it’s absolutely true Ben is a true hero my prayers are with Christine I couldn’t imagine loosing my husband and 3 children at once she is a stronger woman than most for shure hope you get all the help you need to try to go on in this crazy world we live in

  • Frank

    Its so so sad, its even harder this time of year to see such sad things happen to good people, As a ordained minister I would have done the funeral service for free, Ben and his family deserve it.

  • Andre Linoge

    never put cardboard near a fireplace is the lesson here…give me what i want and i’ll go away

    • Anonymous

      You’re allowed an opinion. Although many may not like your comment, it is true and you are allowed to say what you feel.

  • When houses are sold they have to pass inspection dont they? I think they should not have been able to sell this house. Poor family. Please send prayers. They were only trying to make a better life for their children. Someone must have known this house was unsafe. People will do anything for a quick sale. God be this woman her pain is immeasurable.

    • Anonymous

      How is it unsafe? True, the furnace didn’t work, BUT there was a heat source. Ben would never have moved his family into an unsafe home. Yes, an error was made by storing the cardboard too close, but we’ve all made errors that could be deadly.

      • I absolutely do not hold that man or his family responsible. i do hold the person who allowed them to move into the home without working smoke detectors and a working heat source other than a unsafe woodstove. It would have never passed inspection. He was only trying to be a good husband and father. He was doing his best. I would never say anything bad about him or those beautiful children. God Bless them all. My heart breaks.

        • Anonymous

          They never said that the wood stove was unsafe – the cause of the fire was boxes set too close to the stove and that is what caused the fire, not the wood stove. As far as I could tell from the stories, this house was not unsafe.

        • Charles E. Tucker

          Everything is always somebody else’s fault! Right?

    • Anonymous

      I couldn’t get a mortgage without sufficient working smoke and CO detectors.

    • Anonymous

      They were renting this house for $1 a month? Who gives a house away for $1 a month. Never heard of anything like that. Insurance and inspection is required on a home purchase, however this home had not been purchased. Chances are it wasn’t inspected ever since it was forclosed on. Non-working furnace so it was obvious the wood stove was the heat source. Personally, I can understand why Ben moved into the home as it was eventually going to be a great house to raise his family. No blame towards Ben and the young family here. Just wondering what motivated the bank to allow somebody to live there for $1 a month. What were the bank and the real estate company thinking?

      • They were thinking about money as usual. They found a loop hole and it may get them sued.

      • Lois Theriault

        Houses do not have to be inspected before purchase. I have bought two homes in Me., and neither HAD to have an inspection. 4 people are dead, and that is where the focus should be. Helping the survivors.

        • Anonymous

          Really…I sold real estate in this state for over 8 years…I never sold not one home that WASN”T inspected. NOT ONE. Nobody said this wasn’t about helping the one survivor. Maybe some lessons can come out of this senseless loss of life so it doesn’t happen again to another young family.

  • Anonymous

    This makes my heart ache for the family left behind to cope. Prayers and condolences to all.

  • Anonymous

    Terrible tragedy. This could happen to anybody. Tomorrow is never a guarantee.

  • Anonymous

    Now THAT’S a hero! Rest in peace Mr. Johnson and children. My deepest sympathies to their family and friends for their loss. Heartwrenching.

  • Anonymous

    Heartbreaking, praying for comfort for Christine and loved ones at this time. So sorry.

  • Anonymous

    God Bless…… loving thoughts and prayers.

  • Anonymous

    If this was such an odd rental agreement could they have had insurance? Such a sad story. Thoughts and prayers to those who passed and are still here.

  • Anonymous

    I would have done the same thing.

  • Anonymous

    Enough is enough. How many morons post on here? This is a tragic story. A father and his 3 children died. And you idiots are posting about smoke detector/fire detectors, don’t homes for sale need inspections…go back to your hole. Nobody needs to read your crap. But, then again, bottom feeders like you, looking to place blame, looking for the deepest pocket, is why the court system is backlogged with BS lawsuits. There are no fingers that need to be pointed here, no blame to be laid. Show some respect for the family, scumbags. Your kind makes me sick.

  • Anonymous

    This is just a very sad thing. Prayers to all that knew and Loved them.

Similar Articles