May 22, 2018
Basketball Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft

Wofford outlasts University of Maine women’s basketball in overtime


RALIEGH, N.C. — Logan Morris and Morgan Wrightson scored four points each during the final 2:46 of overtime Saturday evening, helping Wofford hold on for a 79-76 women’s basketball victory over the University of Maine in the consolation game of the Sheraton Raleigh Wolfpack Invitational.

Ashleigh Roberts’ conventional three-point play with 46 seconds remaining in the extra period had the Black Bears (0-2) even, but Wrightson sank two foul shots with 24 seconds left and UMaine’s Brittany Wells missed a foul-line jumper with five seconds left.

Rachel Brittenham added a free throw to help Wofford (1-1) hold on.

Roberts, a junior guard, was the offensive catalyst for coach Richard Barron’s Black Bears. She scored a career-best 29 points on 11-for-17 shooting and had only one turnover in 29 minutes.

Freshman Brittany Wells drained four second-half 3-pointers on her way to 12 points and was instrumental in helping UMaine erase a 12-point deficit to force the extra period. Classmate Liz Wood contributed 11 points and seven rebounds and freshman Mikaela Gustafsson provided 10 points and nine rebounds.

Sophomore Courtney Anderson of Greene added eight points, five rebounds and three assists.

The Bears shot 43 percent from the field and outrebounded the Terriers 42-38, but UMaine committed 21 turnovers.

Wofford outscored UMaine 22-14 from the foul line led by Wrightson, who went 12-for-12. The Terriers shot 39 percent (7-for-18) from 3-point range.

Brittenham paced the winners with 18 points, Wrightson finished with 17 and Logan Morris tallied 14. Daniela Motley posted 10 points and seven rebounds.

Wofford turned a 10-0 scoring run early in the second half into an 11-point lead and Michelle Merritt’s layup with 9:05 to play gave the Terriers their biggest lead of the contest at 45-33.

UMaine trailed 63-53 with 3:35 before putting on a big push late in regulation.

Gustafsson kicked off the surge with a 3-pointer, then hit a jumper off a Roberts assist to cut the deficit to 63-58. A Wells steal then led to a Roberts jumper as the Bears got within three with 1:41 left.

Roberts sank two free throws to make it 63-62, but Motley answered with a layup at the 47-second mark. Wells struck 27 seconds later, burying a 3-pointer to make it 65-all and force overtime.

Wofford grabbed the lead early in OT and never trailed after that.

Maine returns to action on Tuesday as it hosts Syracuse at 7 p.m. in Alfond Arena.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like