June 22, 2018
College sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Weekend college roundup, men’s basketball: Fisher 72, UMFK 63


BOSTON — The Fisher Falcons had contributions from nine different players as they earned a hard fought 72-63 victory over the University of Maine at Fort Kent Sunday. Senior Ryan McCorkle paced the 3-0 Falcons with 14 points and 14 rebounds. UMFK (0-3) was led by Sean Doman who contributed 15 points, 3 rebounds and 2 assists.

The Falcons looked to be easing to a comfortable victory when with 4:40 left on the clock when UMFK’s Fred Sanchez hit a 3-pointer to cut the deficit to 8, but the Falcons held off the rally.

Dean 81 UMFK 53

FRANKLIN, Mass. — Dean College cruised to a 81-53 win over the University of Maine-Fort Kent men’s basketball team Saturday afternoon in a non-league contest.

Dean forced 30 UMFK turnovers leading to 22 steals on the day as they raced out to a double digit lead midway through the first half which the Bengals were unable to recover from. Yoshives Belizaire led UMFK in the loss with 20 points.

Women’s ice hockey

Maine 2, Bemidji State 2

BEMIDJI, Minn. – The University of Maine women’s ice hockey team skated to a 2-2 draw against Bemidji State University on Saturday night. The Black Bears won the shootout 2-1. Maine slides to 2-7-1 on the season with Bemidji State moving to 2-6-2.

Maine’s Brittany Dougherty notched the first goal of the game, as she was able to beat the goalie at 14:50 into the first period. Chloe Tinkler picked up the assist.

Mackenzie Thurston tied the game at 1-1, scoring 15:32 into the first period with an assist from Danielle Williams.

Lauren Merkley gave the Beavers a 2-1 lead at 9:20 of the second period.

Dougherty notched her second goal of the contest, finding the back of the net on the unassisted try 7:17 into the third period.

Regulation ended in a 2-2 tie and the five-minute overtime period went scoreless.

Hailey Browne and Audra Richards were able to capitalize on the shootout opportunity for Maine.

Brittany Ott made 36 saves for Maine and Jessica Havel had 14 for Bemidji.

Men’s Soccer

Roger Williams 8, Husson 2

BRISTOL, R.I. — Fifth-seeded Husson fell to first-seeded Roger Williams 8-2 in the ECAC semifinals on Saturday.

The Eagles finish at 15-6-1 in a season that saw the first nonconference postseason victory in program history as they defeated Norwich in the ECAC quarterfinals. Roger Williams improved to 17-2 as they head to the ECAC final to face Coast Guard.

Billy Kissane, Bradley Macdonald, Tyler Peckham, and Andrew Carlson put Roger Williams on the board in the first half for a 4-0 first half lead and added another to start the second.

Husson scored its first goal when. Stephen Berenyi crossed a beautiful ball that Cam Libbey got on the end of. Libbey’s first volley was stopped, but the rebound returned to him and he buried it, bringing the score to 5-1 in the 56th minute.

Roger Williams responded with two more goals before an Andrew Austin flip throw was misplayed by the Roger Williams defense and went in for an own goal.

Tom Mangels made two saves and Jon Pelloso had one for Roger Williams while Mason Smith had eight for Husson.

Williams 2, Thomas 1

WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — Goals in each half were enough to send the No. 9 Williams men’s soccer team to a 2-1 victory over Thomas College in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday. The Ephs stretched their record to 14-1-3 with the win, while the Terriers closed out the season at 15-3-2.

The Ephs set the tone for the first half right from the opening kick, when they put together an impressive string of passes that culminated in a low, left-footed shot for Patrick Ebobisse towards the near post that Thomas keeper Mikkail Crockwell dove to his left to stop.

Eight minutes later, Ebobisse came even closer to putting the Ephs on the board when he took a free kick for Williams from about 25 yards out and sent a rifle shot with a hook towards the back post seemed certain to break the tie. But Crockwell outdid his previous effort and just managed to tip the ball off the post with a valiant leap to his right to keep the scoresheet clean.

The Terriers received some additional help from the woodwork in the 21st minute, when Peter Christman hit the crossbar with an attempt off a broken play for the Ephs.

Although the Ephs managed to maintain possession for a large majority of the period, the Terriers still managed to create some quality chances against the run of play. In the 23rd minute, fullback Zeon Robinson’s long free kick found Michael Hand in the box. Hand corralled the ball and attempted an ambitious blind bicycle kick from about 12 yards out that wowed the crowd but was well off the mark. Two minutes later, Paul Rechichi sent a deft chip over the Williams back line for Dakota Duplisse, who did well to gain possession before firing a shot over both a charging Than Finan and the crossbar for a goal kick

Ultimately, the Ephs found the breakthrough they were looking for in the 28th minute off a devastatingly simple play. Once again, Ebobisse was the catalyst: he got free on the left wing and sent an inswinging cross with his left into the 18. The Williams front line crashed the net and froze Crockwell, leaving Mohammed Rashid free to send a running header into the side netting for a 1-0 Williams advantage.

Undaunted, the Terriers continued to look for opportunities and managed to find an equalizer just under nine minutes into the second half. The play innocently enough with Josh Phelps carrying the bal up the middle of the field. Rather than dish wide though, Phelps rode a wave a brilliant footwork toward the touchline, where he shook off two Eph defenders before finally passing to Hand, who took one touch before coolly sliding a shot past Finan and into the lower left corner of the goal.

As they have so frequently this season, the Ephs responded well after the setback and ramped their intensity up a level. Two minutes after the goal, Ebobisse got free inside the box and took a low shot, only to find himself denied yet again by a diving Crockwell.

Ebobisse finally got the better of Crockwell just before the clock hit the hour mark. His pass sprang Rashid down the right wing, where he made a move before sending a cross for Ebobisse, who fired an uncontested shot on goal from close range. Once again, Crockwell got a piece of it, but this time the ball ricocheted into the roof of the net, giving the Ephs a 2-1 lead and cementing Ebobisse’s status as the man of the match.

“[Ebobisse] was working very hard, providing a lot of leadership and creating havoc,” said Williams coach Mike Russo after the game. “He’s what we call a schemer, a playmaker, but he can finish too. I thought he had a very good game.”

Field hockey, NCAA Tourney

Tufts 2, Bowdoin 1

GENEVA, N.Y. — The Tufts University field hockey team scored twice in the final 20 minutes to take a 2-1 win over Bowdoin in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday at William Smith College.

The Polar Bears finish their season with a record of 16-4 and, for just the second time in the last eight years, will miss out on the Division III Final Four.

Tufts advances to its first NCAA Semifinal appearance since making back-to-back bids in 2008 and ’09. The Jumbos improve to 17-2 on the year and will face DePauw in the national semifinals next Saturday in Geneva, N.Y.

Tufts had the first great chance 10 minutes in, as a penalty corner resulted in a bouncing ball to the right side of the cage. Lia Sagerman put a stick on it, but the ball caromed off the post out of bounds. Bowdoin rebounded with a push downfield, earning a penalty corner of their own. A scramble in front came to Katie Riley on the left side of the net. Riley lifted the ball to Lauren Schroeder on the back post, who knocked it home for a 1-0 lead at 10:27.

Tufts had a sustained possession with about ten minutes remaining and had a pair of nice chances that were both kick-saved by Kayla Lessard to maintain the one-goal edge. Bowdoin pushed downfield with under three minutes left in the period and were awarded a penalty stroke with 2:30 left on a transition play. But Brianna Keenan made a diving stick save on the stroke attempt to keep it a one-goal deficit at intermission.

The teams traded possession to open the second half before Bowdoin garnered a great chance off a penalty corner with 23 minutes remaining. Brooke Phinney’s initial shot was blocked, but her rebound attempt slipped through the Tufts defense. Rachel Gerhardt came to the rescue for the Jumbos, swatting the ball off the goal line to keep it 1-0 Polar Bears.

Moments later, Gerhardt came up big again, ripping a shot from the right side of the circle that Chelsea Yogerst redirected in front to deadlock the score with 19:52 remaining. Tufts took the lead ten minutes later, as a hard shot from Gerhardt off a corner was saved by Lessard. The ball came out to the middle of the circle where Dakota Sikes-Keilp slipped a turnaround shot that skimmed inside the right post with 8:30 remaining.

Bowdoin had two penalty corners in the closing moments, including one with no time remaining, but could not covert as the Jumbos held on to the win.

Lessard made six saves for Bowdoin, who were out-shot 11-9 by the Jumbos. Keenan made two saves for the Jumbos.

Bowdoin 3, MIT 1

GENEVA, N.Y. – The Bowdoin College field hockey team advanced to the Third Round of the NCAA Division III Tournament with a 3-1 win over MIT on Saturday at William Smith College.

The Polar Bears (16-3) advance to the regional finals for the seventh time in the last eight years and will take on Tufts University, a 4-2 victor against William Smith, for a trip to the Division III Final Four on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. MIT finishes its season with a record of 17-3 and has its season come to an end in the NCAA’s against the Polar Bears for the second consecutive year.

Bowdoin’s first goal came from a familiar pairing off of the Polar Bears’ second penalty corner of the afternoon. Brooke Phinney ripped a shot from the top of the circle that Cathleen Smith redirected through a crowd at 23:05 to give the Polar Bears an early lead. MIT evened the score with 17 minutes remaining in the period as Molly Duffy snuck behind the Bowdoin defense and tapped the ball past charging Polar Bear goaltender Kayla Lessard to make it 1-1.

The Polar Bears regained the lead five minutes before halftime, as Brooke Phinney blasted a low drive off a penalty corner inside the left post. Bowdoin added to its margin with 1:03 remaining in the period as Katie Riley centered a pass to Colleen Finnerty, who notched her first goal of the season with a low blast to give the Polar Bears a 3-1 lead at intermission.

MIT had the first great chance of the second half, as an entry pass was redirected in front by Kimberly Barker. Lessard made a diving stop to maintain the two-goal lead and made a nice pad save on the ensuing penalty corner to keep it 3-1 in favor of the Polar Bears.

Bowdoin made a bid to extend its lead with 20 minutes left, but MIT defender Michelle Dion swept the ball of the line for a defensive save to preserve the two-goal deficit. The Polar Bears continued to control possession and kept the ball in their offensive zone for the majority of the remaining time, finishing with a 15-2 edge in second-half shots and 26-4 advantage overall.

Kayla Lessard stopped two shots for the Polar Bears while Jenna Klein made eight saves for the Engineers.

Sunday’s regional final will be the third meeting between Tufts and Bowdoin in the span of 17 days. The Jumbos defeated Bowdoin 3-1 in the regular season finale on October 24 before the Polar Bears bounced back in a 4-1 win in the NESCAC Semifinals last Saturday. Bowdoin is 16-1 in their last 17 NCAA Tournament games and last met Tufts in the NCAA Tournament in the 2008 final, won in overtime by the Polar Bears.

Women’s Basketball


CONCORD, N.H. — The University of Maine-Fort Kent women’s basketball team defeated New Hampshire Tech 69-60 to win the New Hampshire Technical College Tap-Off Saturday. UMFK improves to 3-0 with the win.

Tournament MVP Taylor Boucher of UMFK knocked down 5 of 6 three point attempts and was joined on the All-Tournament team by teammate Jenn Colpitts. UMFK has won three games in three days to open their season.

Women’s Soccer

Ithaca 2, Bowdoin 1

ITHACA, N.Y. — The Bowdoin College women’s soccer team’s magical season came to an end Sunday in a 2-1 loss to Ithaca in the Second Round of the NCAA Division III Tournament.

Under first-year head coach Brianne Weaver, the 24th-ranked Polar Bears finish one of the finest seasons in school history with a record of 11-4-4. Sixth-ranked Ithaca wins its program-record 19th game and advances to the Round of 16 with a 19-1-2 record.

The Polar Bears netted the game’s first goal in the 27th minute of action to lead 1-0 at intermission. Ithaca twice answered in the second half to earn a spot in the Sweet Sixteen and improve to 11-0-1 on its home turf this season.

Ithaca outshot Bowdoin, 14-8, and held a 9-2 gap in corner kicks.

The game opened in back-and-forth fashion before Ithaca rattled off four consecutive shots. Bowdoin goalkeeper Bridget McCarthy made two of her seven saves on the day to maintain a scoreless deadlock through 20 minutes of play.

Polar Bear sophomore Abby Einwag came off the bench to tally the game’s first goal in the 25th minute. Following a Bowdoin throw in along the right sideline, freshman Jamie Hofstetter found Einwag camped out on the left post. Einwag headed in a low ball for the 1-0 advantage.

With five minutes lingering in the first frame, Ithaca senior Rachael Palladino looked to even action on a Julie Winn corner-kick feed. Palladino’s header soared high as the Polar Bears maintained their 1-0 gap into the half.

Fifteen scoreless minutes opened the second stint. The Bombers earned a trio of corner kicks before a free kick led to the game-tying goal. Junior Anna Gray sent a free kick into the box that got batted out by the Bowdoin defense. Bomber junior Alex Liese collected the loose ball and served it into the right side of the box where classmate Ellyn Grant-Keane headed it in for a 1-1 tie.

Bowdoin surged to take a flurry of shots, but it was an Ithaca shot that followed to seal the victory for the Bombers. Grant-Keane beat a defender along the right end line before finding the feet of junior Amanda Callanan at the top of the box. Callanan dribbled in and laced a shot at McCarthy causing her to fumble the ball. It fell between her legs and crossed the plane for the score.

The Polar Bears recorded the final two shots of the game, but could not convert. Junior Molly Popolizio fired a shot from 25 yards out to the right side of goal at 86:48, but Ithaca goalkeeper Becca Salant made the save to preserve the Bomber victory. Salant finished the game with three saves.

Bowdoin advances to NCAA regional final

ITHACA, N.Y. — The Bowdoin College women’s soccer team (11-3-4) earned a trip to the NCAA regional finals with a 5-3 edge in penalty kicks over Scranton (9-7-5) on Saturday.

The teams were knotted 0-0 after 110 minutes of competition in the first round of the NCAA Tournament hosted by Ithaca at Carp Wood Field. 24th-ranked Bowdoin will advance to play the host sixth-ranked Bombers at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Ithaca defeated UMass Boston, 5-1, in the other regional semifinal.

Making their 8th NCAA Tournament appearance, and first since 2007, the Polar Bears were a perfect 5-for-5 in penalty kicks to seal the victory. It is the first time Bowdoin has advanced in the NCAA Tournament since 1999. It was the third consecutive game that the Polar Bears had decided in PK’s.

Both teams made good on their first three penalty kicks. Bowdoin converted on its fourth before its keeper, freshman Bridget McCarthy, made a diving save to the left side of goal to preserve the edge. Sophomore Alexa Yurick converted on the fifth and final PK firing a shot into the lower right corner of goal to decide who would advance.

The Polar Bears held a slight 14-10 gap in shots, while both squads were deadlocked 3-3 in corner kicks.

Scranton led the shot count, 3-1, in the first frame as the majority of chances came in the second stint. The Royals’ Sydney Parker laced a shot from 18 yards out in the 24th minute that flew just high and right of goal.

Bowdoin, who held a 10-6 advantage in shots in the latter half, surged early in the second. At 65:51 senior Toni DaCampo rifled a shot wide right of goal after recovering a loose ball during a scramble in the box.

With regulation winding down, DaCampo put one on goal. Scranton keeper, junior Kelsy McAnelly, made a stop but lost control of the ball allowing Bowdoin junior Molly Popolizio to get a shot off. Popolizio’s shot soared high of the cage.

The teams combined for three corner kicks and four shots in the waning seven minutes of regulation, but neither could convert.

The Polar Bears outshot the Royals, 3-1, in the two overtime periods, but the game was forced to penalty kicks with a 0-0 deadlock in place after 110 minutes of play.

Making its 14th NCAA appearance, and third consecutive, Scranton played its seventh OT game of 2012. It was just the third time this season Bowdoin was held scoreless.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like