OLD TOWN, Maine — A two-story family home that holds two apartments in Old Town was damaged by fire Friday afternoon.
Old Town Fire Chief Steve O’Malley said a man living in the downstairs unit at 788 Main Street was cooking oil on the stove and fell asleep.
“He awoke to the smoke detectors going off,” said O’Malley.
The man was preparing to cook some french fries, O’Malley said. He tried to put the fire out with a lid but burned his hand and left the building.
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control quickly, containing it to the kitchen area, O’Malley said.
The kitchen had heavy smoke and water damage. O’Malley estimated total damage will be between $5,000 and $10,000.
The name of the man who burned his hand wasn’t immediately available. He was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor for treatment, O’Malley said. Nobody else was injured in the fire.
Orono and Milford fire crews provided backup at the scene.