May 21, 2018
Sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Concussions | Maine Media College | Boston Red Sox

Second-half rally lifts Waynflete past Fort Kent in ‘C’ state girls soccer final

By Ernie Clark, BDN Staff

SCARBOROUGH, Maine — It wasn’t an ideal situation the Waynflete of Portland girls soccer team faced Saturday, trailing at intermission of its Class C state championship match.

But like they did in winning their Western Maine final, the Flyers rallied from behind with the gold ball on the line, using second-half goals from Arianna Giguere and Isabel Agnew to score a 3-2 victory over Fort Kent at the Kippy MItchell Sports Complex.

“We’ve been down a lot in the past, we’re kind of a second-half team,” said Waynflete junior midfielder Walker Foehl, who assisted on both second-half goals. “We sometimes come out a little slow but this is states, the biggest game. It’s what we’ve worked for since preseason and we just wanted to come out and give it all we had until there’s nothing left.”

Fort Kent held a 2-1 halftime lead on goals by Alexis Desjardins and Jessica Morin, but Waynflete used the wind at its back after intermission to press its offensive attack.

That pressure yielded two goals within 43 seconds midway through the final period.

“I told them at halftime that it’s the last 40 minutes of our season and we had to go out and push as hard as we could to get that goal back and then push to get another one,” said Waynflete coach Todd Dominski, whose Flyers rallied from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Saint Dominic of Auburn in the WM final. “We’ve been down a lot at halftime and been very fortunate to be able to fight to get back into games.

“The other piece was we knew we had the wind and I knew that would definitely play a part.”

Giguere’s goal came after Foehl advanced the ball down the right wing and took a hard shot that Fort Kent goalie Alexa Pelletier blocked before Giguere one-timed the rebound into the right side of the net to tie the match with 20:20 remaining.

Waynflete (12-2-4) earned a corner kick shortly after play resumed, and Foehl lined the ball from the right corner toward a scrum near the net. Pelletier couldn’t get close enough to gain full control of the ball, and Agnew scored on the rebound to give Waynflete the lead with 19:37 left.

“We’ve had some trouble finishing off corners in the past but we got one today and it was really exciting,” said Foehl.

Fort Kent (13-4-1) did generate some late offensive pressure, with a high, left-footed shot from the right side by Desjardins requiring a jumping save by Waynflete goalie Juliana Harwood.

Waynflete had a 15-11 advantage in shots on goal, with Harwood making nine saves and Pelletier 12.

Waynflete took a 1-0 lead 6:53 into the match on a goal by senior tri-captain Sadie Rose. Foehl’s shot from the right wing ricocheted off two Fort Kent defenders and right to Agnew near the goal line. Agnew tapped the ball across the crease to Rose, who deflected it into the net.

Desjardins nearly scored the equalizer eight minutes later when her long direct kick glanced first off Harwood’s gloves and then hit the crossbar.

The senior defender broke through less than a minute later, with her direct kick from the left wing sailing over Harwood and curling into the upper right corner of the net.

Morin, a freshman, gave her team the lead with 8:48 remaining in the half, outracing a Waynflete defender to a high-bouncing ball near the 18-yard line and tucking it into the right side of the net.

“Credit them because they got us out of rhythm with what they were trying to do,” said Dominski.

Fort Kent coach Robby Nadeau declined a request for comment after the match.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like