PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Rhode Island’s economic development agency on Thursday sued former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling and some of its former officials, saying they committed fraud and other acts that misled the state into approving a $75 million loan guarantee to his failed video game company.
The suit was filed in Rhode Island Superior Court four months after 38 Studios filed for bankruptcy following a spectacular collapse that has likely left the state on the hook for as much as $100 million.
Among other things, the lawsuit claims that executives at 38 Studios, as well as former Economic Development Corp. Executive Director Keith Stokes and others, knew the company would run out of money by 2012, but concealed that from the EDC board, which made the final decision on whether to back the deal.
The board in 2010 lured 38 Studios to Providence from Massachusetts with the loan guarantee.
The lawsuit also alleges that Schilling, 38 Studios executives and others engaged in racketeering and conspiracy. The suit does not ask for a specific dollar amount but wants Schilling and others to repay the bonds and seeks triple damages.
MIAMI — The Miami Marlins’ celebrity manager was a bust, so they’re calling one up from the minors.
Mike Redmond, who spent the past two years managing Class A teams in the Toronto Blue Jays’ system, was hired Thursday by the Marlins to replace Ozzie Guillen.
A former major league catcher, Redmond had not interviewed for a big league job until he met with the Marlins last week. He received a three-year contract and will be introduced as the Marlins’ fifth manager since mid-2010 at a news conference at their ballpark Friday.
Guillen said he would be rooting for Redmond.
“Congrats Mike Redmond,” Guillen tweeted. “Good luck buddy u have great guys going to play for you. … Hope the best for you. u are a good baseball man and you will have fun with the players.”
Guillen was fired last week after only one season with the Marlins. A year ago they traded two minor league players to obtain him from the Chicago White Sox and gave him a team-record $10 million, four-year deal.
Redmond brings a much lower profile. A .287 hitter over 13 seasons, he played seven years for the Marlins and was the backup catcher to Ivan Rodriguez on their 2003 World Series championship team.
LONDON — The IOC opened an investigation Thursday into Lance Armstrong’s role in a doping scandal that has already wiped out his seven Tour de France titles and could cost him his Olympic bronze medal.
The IOC will also examine the Olympic involvement of other riders and officials implicated in a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency report that detailed “the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen.”
Cycling’s governing body, the UCI, last week stripped Armstrong of his Tour de France titles from 1999-2005. Armstrong could also lose the bronze medal he won in the road time trial at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
“The IOC will now immediately start the process concerning the involvement of Lance Armstrong, other riders and particularly their entourages with respect to the Olympic Games and their future involvement with the games,” the International Olympic Committee said in a statement.
Levi Leipheimer, a former Armstrong teammate who won the time-trial bronze at the 2008 Beijing Games, could also have his medal revoked. One of the key witnesses in the USADA’s case against Armstrong, Leipheimer confessed to doping.
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — Former major league pitcher Pascual Perez, who had a troubled 11-season career that included two suspensions for drug use, was killed at his home in the Dominican Republic in an apparent robbery, police said Thursday.
Perez, who last played in the majors for the New York Yankees in 1991, was found with a severe head wound in a town west of the capital, Santo Domingo, and there was evidence at the scene to suggest that whoever killed him had been searching for money, said Joel Valdemiro, a prosecutor who is involved in the investigation.
No one was in custody and authorities did not reveal whether they had any suspects. Police said there were several assailants and that the house in the town of San Gregrorio de Nigua appeared to have been ransacked.
Perez’s brother Carlos, a former pitcher for the Dodgers, confirmed his death.
Perez’s ex-wife Maritza Montero found his body about 8:30 a.m. Thursday and investigators said he appeared to have been slain about eight hours earlier.
The precise cause of death has not been determined but officials said Perez, who had suffered severe kidney problems in recent years, had a fractured skull from a blow to the head.
Perez, 55, played 11 seasons of in the majors and compiled a lifetime record of 67-68 with the Braves, Pirates, Expos and Yankees. But he was in and out of trouble for much of his career.
LONDON — The Olympic Stadium is in need of a tenant, and London Mayor Boris Johnson thinks the NFL could be the right match.
Just a few days after the NFL’s sixth regular-season game at Wembley Stadium, Johnson said he has spoken with the league about playing more games in the British capital.
“Sunday’s game at Wembley, in front of over 80,000 fans, further cements London’s reputation as the natural home of American football outside of the United States,” the mayor’s office said in a statement.
“Given the ever growing popularity of gridiron on this side of the Atlantic, the mayor and his team have held a number of meetings with senior executives in the last few days to explore further opportunities involving the NFL and London. The talks were exploratory. We are at an early stage, but the signs are encouraging.”
All six NFL games in London so far have been at Wembley, including the New England Patriots’ 45-7 win over the St. Louis Rams on Sunday. The two games scheduled for next season are also set for Wembley, and the NFL has a contract with Wembley through 2016.