Detectives traveling to Massachusetts to bring triple murder suspect to Bangor

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff
Posted Oct. 31, 2012, at 12:28 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A judge in Brockton, Mass., ordered Wednesday that Nicholas J. Sexton — one of two men accused of murder in the slayings of three people whose bodies were found in a burned-out car in Bangor this summer — be returned to Maine.

Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said in a press release Thursday morning that Bangor detectives were on their way to Massachusetts to bring Sexton to Penobscot County Jail. He did not know when specifically they might arrive. Edwards said Wednesday that Sexton could be in court in Bangor as early as Friday.

Sexton, 31, of Warwick, R.I., was arrested Oct. 4 at gunpoint in Brockton on a fugitive from justice warrant from Maine in connection with the Aug. 13 triple homicides. He appeared in Brockton District Court on Wednesday in front of Judge Paul Dawley, according to the Brockton Enterprise newspaper.

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick asked that Sexton be returned to Maine, and the judge agreed.

“I’ll order him transported to Maine,” Dawley said after conferring with Sexton’s public defender, James Murphy, and prosecutor Dave Belger.

Sexton hid behind a wall partition and behind his court appointed attorney during the pretrial hearing, the Enterprise reported.

A status hearing was scheduled for Nov. 9. Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy Cruz’s spokeswoman, Bridget Norton Middleton, said Sexton waived extradition.

“He’s still being held without bail,” a Brockton District Court clerk said.

Sexton and Randall “Ricky” Daluz, 34, of Brockton, who was arrested Oct. 2 in New Bedford, Mass., are both charged with three counts of knowing or intentional murder and one count of arson in the slayings of Daniel T. Borders, 26, of Hermon; Nicolle A. Lugdon, 24, of Eddington; and Lucas A. Tuscano, 28, of Bradford. The victims had been shot and their charred bodies were found by firefighters inside a Pontiac sedan that had been set ablaze in the back parking lot of a Bangor business.

The Pontiac was a rental car with a license plate that was linked to Sexton, who renewed the rental contract on Aug. 11, according to an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court in Bangor by James P. Herbert, a special agent with the FBI.

Sexton and Daluz were secretly indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury on Sept. 26, after which the fugitive from justice warrants were issued. Both have prior convictions for stabbing people in the Bangor area and for drugs, according to Bangor Daily News archives.

The Massachusetts State Police Violent Fugitive Apprehension team, Rhode Island State Police Violent Fugitive Task Force, FBI agents and U.S. marshals worked to track down Sexton, who was found at a woman’s residence on Montello Street in Brockton, according to a news release from the Massachusetts State Police.

Daluz, who is nicknamed “Money,” was arrested in New Bedford by detectives acting on a tip from a nearby police department, and quickly started pointing the finger at Sexton, according to Sgt. Dean Fredericks of New Bedford Police Department.

“While en route, Daluz began talking spontaneously and told me, ‘I’m lucky to be alive, and if he didn’t run out of bullets, I’d be dead too,’” Fredericks said in a court affidavit describing Daluz’s arrest.

“I didn’t kill anybody. Nick did it, not me,” Daluz told the sergeant. “I’m afraid of him, and I’m afraid he’s going to go after my family.”

After being returned to Bangor, Daluz pleaded not guilty Oct. 4 before Superior Court Justice Ann Murray, who ordered him held without bail. She also appointed attorney Jeffrey Silverstein of Bangor to represent him.

Daluz remains at the Penobscot County Jail, where he is being held in protective custody under maximum security, a jail official said Wednesday.

Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson, who is prosecuting the case with Assistant Attorney General Lisa Marchese, said in early October that Sexton’s attempt to fight extradition could delay his return to Bangor for as long as a month or two.

Messages left for Sexton’s court-appointed attorney, Brockton lawyer James Murphy, and Silverstein, who was in Augusta on Wednesday, were not immediately returned.

BDN writer Judy Harrison contributed to this report.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/10/31/news/bangor/mass-hearing-for-suspect-in-bangor-triple-homicides-continued/ printed on December 25, 2014