May 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Old Town man charged with aggravated assault after striking man with baseball bat, police say

Kevin Bennett | BDN
Kevin Bennett | BDN
Laray Davis appears in court at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor on Monday, October 29, 2012 for his initial appearance on charges that he allegedly assaulted a man with a baseball bat.
By Andrew Neff and Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

OLD TOWN, Maine — An Old Town man’s version of what an assistant district attorney called “vigilantism” landed him before a judge Monday afternoon at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

Laray Davis, 38, who allegedly wanted revenge on another man who he said damaged his vehicle, ended up in jail when he assaulted the victim with a baseball bat Sunday, according to Old Town police.

Davis was charged with aggravated assault, a Class B crime that carries a maximum 10-year prison sentence. He also was charged with Class C criminal threatening, misdemeanor assault and misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Superior Court Justice William Anderson set Davis’ bail at $2,000 unsecured.

Anderson told Davis and defense attorney Dennis Hamrick that it was only because of Davis’ gainful employment as a facility manager, six years’ residence in Old Town, and minor criminal history that he was inclined not to require secured bail. Anderson did attach bail conditions, including no contact with the victim or two witnesses, no use or possession of weapons or intoxicants, and voluntary submission to random searches.

Tracy Collins Lacher, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County, had requested that bail be set in the amount of $300 cash and $300 surety.

The nonprofit faith-based group Volunteers of America sponsored Davis’ bail, which was posted later Monday afternoon.

Police went to Davis’ home at 2 a.m. Sunday after he had complained his vehicle had been damaged, according to Old Town police Capt. Kyle Smart.

“Someone had bent his wipers, wrote something on the windows and spat on this vehicle,” said Smart.

When police were taking the initial report, Davis said he knew who had damaged the vehicle and wanted to “take care of it himself,” something officers advised him not to do, according to Smart.

Davis apparently didn’t take the officers’ advice, as police were called at 4:45 p.m. that day for a reported assault, according to Smart.

When police arrived, seven people were standing outside a residence on Stillwater Avenue and indicated Davis had arrived with a baseball bat, assaulted a man and fled the scene.

The victim told police he managed to punch Davis as he approached, but Davis subsequently struck him with the bat twice and left, Smart said. Since police had responded to Davis’ house earlier in the day, they knew where to find him.

Shortly after police arrived, Davis contacted dispatch to report that he was a victim in this case, repeating his story from earlier in the day, according to Smart.

Police didn’t buy it, as the victim had a gash on his elbow, and Davis was arrested and charged with aggravated assault.

He was taken to the Penobscot County Jail.

Anderson selected Seth Harrow as Davis’ court-appointed attorney and set his next court hearing for Dec. 10.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like