June 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Pride | Janet Mills | Urban Farming Ban

Boy taken off diverted airplane remains at EMMC

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The boy who was removed from a Delta Air Lines flight that was diverted to Bangor International Airport on Friday remained at Eastern Maine Medical Center on Monday.

“It’s my understanding that he’s doing better,” state epidemiologist Dr. Stephen Sears said. While he was unable to discuss specifics, Sears said that although some test results were still pending, there did not appear to be a reason to follow up with the other passengers who were on the airplane with the child.

Sears said the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s Division of Infectious Disease was notified Friday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that a child believed to be 4 or 5 years old and his mother were taken to the hospital after the child developed a fever, chills and swollen glands.

Sears noted that those particular symptoms are found in a wide variety of illnesses. He said, however, that tests conducted in Bangor were focused on diseases found in Europe and Africa because the child, a U.S. citizen, and his mother had visited both continents before boarding their return flight to the U.S.

Sears said the boy’s illness would continue to be monitored and that the crew and passengers on Delta Flight 259 will be notified if the illness is determined to be contagious and if there was a risk of exposure.

The Airbus A330-200, which was en route from Amsterdam to Minnesota, had 238 passengers when it was diverted to Bangor about 11:40 a.m. because of the medical emergency, BIA Director Tony Caruso said early Friday afternoon. The child and his mother were taken to EMMC by ambulance.

The flight resumed at 12:45 p.m. and arrived at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport two hours later than originally scheduled.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like