April 25, 2018
Sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Deputy Shot | Cremated Ashes | Missing Boy

Maine college roundup, women’s soccer: Colby 2, Bates 0

By Pete Warner, BDN Staff

Women’s Soccer

WATERVILLE, Maine —- The Colby College women’s soccer team ended the regular season with a 2-0 victory over rival Bates College and earned the sixth seed in the New England Small College Athletic Conference playoffs on Wednesday.

The Mules, now 8-6 overall and 4-6 in the NESCAC, will play at third-seeded Amherst College on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. in a conference quarterfinal game. Amherst took a 4-0 win over Colby in the regular season.

Annie Papadellis (Hopkinton, Mass.) scored her sixth and seventh goals of the season to power the Mules, who had a 17-11 shot advantage. She scored just 3:35 into the game on Colby’s first chance with the ball over midfield. Amanda Findlay (Manchester, Maine) pushed a perfect pass to the middle and Papadellis ran on to it about the 18-yard line. With a defender on her back and Bates goalkeeper Anabel Schmelz (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) coming out, Papadellis calmly shot the ball into the left corner of the net for a 1-0 lead.

Papadellis used her speed on the first goal, but her second goal was her footwork. Maddie Tight (San Rafael, Calif.) passed the ball to Papadellis on the left side about 12 yards out. With a defender on her, Papadellis ripped a left-footed shot into the right corner of the net at 53:15. She is up to 17 points on the season.

Bates (4-9-1 overall, 1-8-1 NESCAC) had some terrific scoring chances in the second half. Just before Colby’s second goal, Nicki Brill (Wesport, Conn.) of Bates hit the crossbar on a shot from about 18 yards out. Samantha Rose (Toronto, Ontario) had her shot at 57:22 get past Brook, but was cleared away by Colby defender Kat McCarrick (Wellesley, Mass.).

Brook had to make all three of her saves in the second half for her fourth shutout of the season. Schmelz stopped six shots for the Bobcats.

Colby came into the game allowing just 28 corner kicks in 13 games, but Bates had an 8-7 advantage Wednesday.

Men’s Soccer

Colby 3, Bates 2 (OT)

LEWISTON, Maine — Nick Aubin found the upper left corner of the goal from 25 yards out to give Colby College a 3-2 overtime victory over the Bates College men’s soccer team on Wednesday, in the season finale for both teams.

Colby’s win allowed the Mules to pull even with the Bobcats in the final conference standings, in 10th place, and to finish with an identical record to the hosts: 4-8-2 overall and 1-7-2 in NESCAC play. The loss snapped a three-game unbeaten streak for Bates.

Colby took a 2-0 lead in the early part of the second half, but Bates closed the gap to less than five minutes later, then sent the game into overtime with 3:54 left in regulation.

Colby outshot Bates 8-1 in the first half, and took a 1-0 lead in the 36th minute when Matt Giron received the ball in the left corner of the Bates penalty area, with his back to Bates’ goal. Giron was able to turn and shoot with his right foot, and the ball appeared to glance off a Bates defender before finding the narrow gap between the left goalpost and Bates goalkeeper Joe Maffly-Kipp.

More Colby pressure resulted in an own goal and a 2-0 lead in the 50th minute. Andrew Woonton’s shot struck the crossbar, and a Bates defender, who was standing on Bates’ goal line, attempted to head the carom out of the goal, but the ball found the wrong side of the goal line for the home team.

With 35:54 remaining in the half, Bates closed the gap to 2-1. Ethan Kass sent a cross that was redirected into the far side of the net by Luis Pereira, for the freshman’s first career goal.

Bates turned up the heat down the final stretch of regulation time, but the clock was running out. With 3:54, Bates senior John Murphy booted a free kick from 40 yards out over to the right side of the Colby box. The ball took one bounce before Tyler Schleich fired a shot toward the left goalpost, where Bates senior Nick Barron was there to outmuscle a Colby defender and deflect the ball into the left-side netting.

Kass got off one final shot that was blocked by a Colby defender, and the teams entered a 10-minute overtime period.

Murphy got off the first shot of the extra period, sending a ball just wide of the Colby goal. With 7:45 left in the period, following a Colby throw-in and several touches by the Mules, Aubin struck a shot from 25 yards out with topspin, and the ball tumbled under the crossbar and into the upper left corner for the 3-2 win.

Colby finished with a 17-11 advantage in shots. Cody Funkhouser made two saves for the Mules, while Maffly-Kipp had six saves for Bates.

Tufts 2, Bowdoin 1

MEDFORD, Mass. – Junior Scott Blumenthal’s goal in the 84th minute gave the Tufts University men’s soccer team a 2-1 victory over Bowdoin in NESCAC men’s soccer action on Wednesday afternoon at Bello Field.

The win improves the Jumbos to 8-3-3 overall and 5-2-3 in the NESCAC. It also gives fourth-seeded Tufts home field advantage in Saturday’s NESCAC quarterfinals, where they will have a rematch with fifth-seeded Bowdoin (8-4-2, 4-4-2 NESCAC). Kick-off is slated for noon.

Blumenthal’s tally came after taking a dish from the top of the box from first-year Jason Kayne. Sophomore Maxime Hoppenot picked up the secondary assist.

Bowdoin scored first in the 17th minute off a 40-yard blast by freshman Andrew Jones that went up over the out-stretched fingers of Tufts junior keeper Wyatt Zeller. The chance came after the Polar Bears pinned the ball deep after a corner kick. Senior Alex Thomas earned the assist. For Jones, it was his fourth goal of the season.

The Jumbos evened the score about 20 minutes later when sophomore Kento Nakamura passed the ball ahead from midfield reaching Kayne at the top of the box. Kayne then chipped it over the head of Bowdoin junior keeper Will Wise for his third tally of the year.

Each team had two shots on goal in the first half with each goalie picking up one save. The Polar Bears had three chances on corners while Tufts had a pair.

Bowdoin had the first chance of the second half on a free kick by sophomore Eric Goitia. Zeller moved left to right to lunge and punch the ball away from the top corner.

Tufts had a strong chance with about 15 minutes left on a corner kick that came down to the middle of the box. Junior Luke Booth quickly skimmed it off the turf, but Wise was able to see through the bodies to make the stop.

Bowdoin won the shot battle, 12-8. Both goalies finished with four saves for the day.

Field Hockey

Colby 4, Bates 3

LEWISTON, Maine — Colby College netted three goals in the opening 15 minutes and built a 4-0 lead before holding off Bates College’s second-half rally for a 4-3 NESCAC field hockey victory Wednesday night at Campus Avenue Field, in the season finale for both teams.

Megan Fortier scored two goals for Colby (6-8, 2-8 NESCAC), which received all of its scoring from first-year players. Misha Strage and Ellie Donohue also scored.

For Bates (4-10, 1-9 NESCAC), Caroline Falcone, Riley Kundtz and Lexie Carter all scored in a four-minute span of the second half.

Just over five minutes into the game, at the 5:25 mark, Bates goalkeeper Cristina Vega saved an initial shot by Fortier, but fellow Strage was there to put away the rebound.

With 27:07 left in the half, Fortier scored one herself, jabbing a shot from along the left baseline that jumped off a Bates stick and into the air, volleying high over Vega’s head and hitting the right interior of the goal for a 2-0 lead.

Less than six minutes later, with 21:30 left in the half, the lead expanded to 3-0 after an excellent individual play by Fortier. From the top of the circle, the first-year backed into her defender, twice switching directions, before turning and shooting from 10 yards out through Bates defense and past Vega.

Colby tacked on another score with 17:20 left in the second half, as first-year Ellie Donohue finished off a team offensive push with a shot from a tough angle that hit a stick or two before finding its way to the back of the cage. Colby seemed comfortably in the lead, at 4-0 with 17 minutes to play.

But Bates got on the scoreboard with 12:23 left in the game, when Falcone had a clear shot from the center of the circle and cracked it into the back of the cage.

With 10:37 left, Bates finished off another offensive surge. Polly Merck recovered a loose ball on the left side of the circle and drove baseline. Her shot glanced off a Colby defender and out to Kundtz, who swatted in a looping shot past Colby goalkeeper Michelle Burt to close the gap to 4-2.

Just 2:10 later, with 8:27 left in the game, Bates closed the gap to 4-3 on a penalty corner. Merck started the play, inserting the ball to Bridget Meedzan, who stick-stopped the ball for Lexie Carter’s rocket of a shot from the top of the circle.

Bates’ final flurry, including a penalty corner with 55 seconds left, passed with no further shots attempted.

Colby outshot Bates 8-6 in the first half, but Bates turned the table in the second half with a 6-3 edge. Penalty corners were 5-4 in Bates’ favor.

Burt finished with three saves for Colby; Vega made one save and Katie Knox, who played the final 56:30 in goal for Bates, also made one save.

USM 3, New England College 2 (OT)

GORHAM, Maine – Junior Cristina Mountain (Dexter, Maine) knocked in the game-winning goal in the fourth minute of the overtime period to lead the University of Southern Maine Huskies to a 3-2 overtime win over the New England College Pilgrims Wednesday evening at Hannaford Field in Gorham, Maine.

The win is the third straight for USM and improves its overall record to 8-11. Suffering its second consecutive loss, New England College falls to 8-11 on the season with the loss

The Huskies grabbed a 1-0 lead despite being outshot and out-cornered by the Pilgrims 16-6 and 11-0 respectively in the first half. Junior forward Ariel Kaplan (South Berwick, Maine/Marshwood) scored her fifth goal of the season in the 20th minute off of an assist from junior Natalie Harkins (Windham, Maine).

The score stood at 1-0 until late in the game, before New England College senior Katherine Rich (Westborough, Mass.) and senior Rachel Carnaroli (Bellingham, Mass.) connected for a pair of goals in the 61st and 66th minutes. Rich scored both goals off of adeptly slotted balls fro Carnaroli following penalty corners.

With the clock winding down towards the end of regulation, Kaplan delivered the Huskies to overtime with her sixth goal of the season in the 69th minute. In overtime, the Huskies outshot New England College 4-0 before Mountain drove in the game-winner. After a pair of saves from Pilgrim goalkeeper Courtney Duquette (Enfield, N.H./Mascoma Valley) on two shots from USM sophomore Peyton Dostie (Standish, Maine/Bonny Eagle), Mountain hustled her way to a loose ball for her first goal of the season.

Both goalkeepers were outstanding in net. Duquette made nine saves, while USM junior Kayla Kennedy (Windham, Maine) mad 17 saves. NEC outshot USM 27-19 for the game and had a 22-5 advantage in corners. Pilgrim junior Jaclyn Papagni (Lynfield, Mass.) had a pair of defensive saves, while sophomore Patricia Wright (Essex, Mass./Manchester-Essex) had one.

Plymouth State 2, St. Joseph’s 1

PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Jackie Morin (Scarborough, Maine) blasted home the go-ahead goal with five minutes remaining Wednesday afternoon as Plymouth State University came from behind to defeat Saint Joseph’s College (Maine), 2-1, in non-conference field hockey action at Arold Field.

Junior Lauren Carroll (Rollinsford, N.H.) played a part in both Panther goals, scoring the first and setting up Morin on the second. They helped PSU improve to 10-5 overall while SJC dropped to 9-7.

The teams combined for just seven shots in the first half, four by the home team. Saint Joseph’s scored the only goal of the opening frame in the 16th minute when junior Rachelle Massuri (Atkinson, N.H.) dribbled down the right side and fired a crossing pass into the middle, where freshman Meghan Williams (Greenland, N.H.) collected the ball and pushed it just inside the right post.

Plymouth State finally got on the board midway through the second half. Carroll picked up a loose ball in front of the Monks cage with her back to the goal, and shot a backhander while she was spinning around that slipped under the goalie. It was Carroll’s ninth of the season and tied the game at 1-1 in the 55th minute.

With the score tied and the second-half clock winding down, PSU tallied its second goal on a penalty corner at the 65:04 mark. Carroll took the corner from the left side, shoveled a short pass to Morin about five yards away, and Morin blasted a shot from just inside the circle that snuck through the goalie’s pads. It was Morin’s second goal of the season and proved to be the game-winner.

PSU finished with an 11-6 advantage in shots, and an 11-9 margin in penalty corners. Junior goalie Hilary Lemelin (Milan, N.H.) made five saves to earn the win in the Panther goal, while sophomore Taylor Allison (Pawtucket, R.I.) stopped seven shots for Saint Joseph’s.

Prior to the game, PSU’s only senior , co-captain Olivia Colborn (Lancaster, N.H.), was recognized as part of the Senior Day celebration.

Tufts 3, Bowdoin 1

MEDFORD, Mass. — The Tufts field hockey team secured the #2 seed in the upcoming NESCAC Championship tournament with a resounding 3-1 victory over Bowdoin on Wednesday night at Bello Field.

The visiting Polar Bears entered the game ranked #3 in the nation, while Tufts was #8. The three goals scored by the Jumbos were the most allowed by Bowdoin this season. The hosts finished with a 13-4 advantage in shots and 11-3 in penalty corners.

The Jumbos have now won 13 straight games since losing their season-opener to Middlebury. Tufts is 13-1 overall and finished 9-1 in NESCAC. Bowdoin, which saw an eight-game winning streak end, dropped to 12-2 and 8-2 in the league.

First-year Dakota Sikes-Keilp (Montclair, NJ) picked a great time to score her first collegiate goal for Tufts, redirecting a blast by sophomore Maggie Chapman (St. Louis, MO) during a corner attempt to put Tufts up 1-0 17 minutes into the game.

Bowdoin senior goalie Kayla Lessard (Enfield, CT) would make four saves in the first half to help keep the deficit at one, including two back-to-back chances by Jumbo junior Emily Cannon (Atkinson, NH) on another corner late in the period.

Just two minutes into the second half, the Jumbos took advantage of another penalty corner. Lia Sagerman (LaJolla, CA), one of five players honored on Seniors Night for Tufts, was at the post to knock in the rebound of a shot by Cannon to give the Jumbos a 2-0 margin.

Having given up just six goals total entering the game, Bowdoin found itself in an unfamiliar position and did something about it. They cut the lead in half in the 42nd minute when junior Lauren Schroeder (Milwaukee, WI) drove a perfect ball from the far right side of the field into the middle where senior co-captain Cathleen Smith (Larchmont, NY) rapped it home to pull the Polar Bears within 2-1. The goal was the 11th of the season for Smith.

However, barely a minute later, the Jumbos capitalized on a corner for the third time to go up 3-1. Junior leading scorer Chelsea Yogerst (San Diego, CA) tallied her ninth of the fall off an assist from senior co-captain Rachel Gerhardt (Worcester, MA).

The Jumbos finished off the win by earning advantages of 8-1 in shots and 9-2 in corners for the second half. Lessard recorded nine saves, while Jumbo sophomore Brianna Keenan (Greenland, NH) had two.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like