BELFAST, Maine — A Stockton Springs teen who was killed a month ago when his car crossed the centerline of Route 1A and collided with a dump truck was not texting or using his cellphone at the time of the crash, according to police.
Owen Krause, 16, had been on his way to class at John Bapst Memorial High School in Bangor on Sept. 19 when the accident occurred.
Chief Deputy Jeff Trafton of the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday that police received records from the teen’s cellphone company on Friday. He said that the cause of the crash is undetermined.
“I’m assuming that’s the way it’ll be closed,” he said of the case. “There’s nothing else to follow up on. It’ll be one of those accidents we’ll never really know what happened.”
The phone records showed that Krause was not on the phone and no recent texts had been sent or received, he said. Police now look at cellphone use history as part of standard operating procedure as officials investigate fatal or serious vehicle accidents, according to the chief deputy.
The high school junior was remembered by John Bapst cross-country coach Joe Capehart as a “great teammate.”
“[He was] very good natured, self-effacing, always willing to help out and lend a hand, and he’s going to be sorely missed,” Capehart said in a news item that was posted last month on the school’s website.