Two families displaced by fires Sunday in Bucksport

By Mario Moretto, BDN Staff
Posted Oct. 15, 2012, at 1:20 p.m.

BUCKSPORT, Maine — Two families were left in the cold by unrelated house fires in Bucksport on Sunday.

No one was injured, but the fires made the two homes “uninhabitable” and killed two dogs, Bucksport Fire Chief Craig Bowden said Monday.

The first fire was reported around 4:30 p.m. Sunday. A passer-by saw smoke and flames leaping out of the front of a single-family, single-story home on Jacob Buck Pond Road. Fire crews from Bucksport, Orland and Orrington responded to the scene.

“The front picture window was blown out, and flames were up the front of the house and through the roof on the front corner,” Bowden said Monday. The husband and wife who live at the home were away when the fire broke out.

Firefighters had the blaze mostly extinguished within five minutes, but two dogs perished in the fire, Bowden said. The fire had been contained to the living room, but smoke and heat damaged much of the house.

Bowden said the fire seemed to have been caused by a candle burning unattended.

The second call came around 11:30 p.m., after a police officer reported heavy smoke and flames at a rental property on School Street. A family of four lives in the home, Bowden said.

“The family was awakened by a smoke alarm at the top of the stairs, and everyone got out safely,” the fire chief said.

Bowden said the flames were knocked down by Bucksport and Orland fire crews within 10 minutes. The fire damage was confined to the kitchen and dining rooms, but none of the house was spared.

“Almost everything on the second floor was melted,” he said. Bowden said the fire started in a trash can because of “improper disposal of smoking materials,” probably an unextinguished cigarette.

The family in the first home is staying with friends, Bowden said, and the Red Cross lodged the second family in a Bangor hotel Sunday night.

Follow Mario Moretto on Twitter at @riocarmine.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/10/15/news/hancock/two-families-displaced-by-fires-sunday-in-bucksport/ printed on September 17, 2014