BANGOR, Maine — Marcus “The Irish Hand Grenade” Davis isn’t sure what’s to come in his mixed martial arts career, but he’s pleased with his most recent experience.
“Right now I’m happy to be back in Bangor, Maine, with my family doing what I love to do, and that’s teaching,” said Davis, owner of the Team Irish MMA Fitness Academy in Bangor and Portland, in the aftermath of his three-round unanimous decision over David Bielkheden last Saturday night in Malmo, Sweden.
“But if somebody calls with an offer that makes sense, I’d definitely think about it.”
Davis arrived home from Sweden at 5:30 Sunday afternoon, less than 24 hours after improving his professional MMA record to 21-9.
“I felt like I dominated the entire fight,” said the 39-year-old Davis. “At no time did he have the upper hand. For me the only thing that would have been better would be if I had been able to submit him, but I got to show that I could beat him in his hometown.”
Davis had Bielkheden in trouble late in the opening round of their welterweight (170-pound) clash of former UFC competitors, using his boxing ability to put the Swedish fighter on his back. Davis knocked down Bielkheden three times during the second round and added another knockdown in the final round.
Bielkheden (17-12) scored his lone takedown midway through the third round but was unable to follow through as Davis returned to a standing position and went on to control the late action against his tiring opponent.
“The only time I was taken down, we were in a clinch and I was trying to throw him down and he fell on me,” said Davis. “But by the count of three I was back up again.”
Davis said he fielded a couple of offers earlier this week that didn’t pique his interest, but he’s open to other potential opportunities to continue his career.
That might include a return to Sweden, given that Bielkheden was in line for a title shot in that country had he defeated Davis. Davis could inherit that title shot, perhaps in February.
“I had a good rapport with the promoter there,” said Davis, “but right now I’m taking it one day at a time.”
Some of Davis’ attention during the next few weeks will be helping at least three of his Team Irish fighters prepare to compete at Fight Night V, the New England Fights-promoted card slated for Nov. 17 at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston.
Jon Lemke, who won his professional debut in the 155-pound division at Fight Night IV in September, is on that card, as well as amateur stablemates Andrew Hughes and Steve Sobel. Hughes and Sobel also are coming off wins at Fight Night IV.
Young’s fighters on NH card
Four MMA combatants from Young’s MMA in Bangor were scheduled to be in action Friday night on the “Unleashed” card promoted by Coliseum to the Cage at the SportsZone in Derry, N.H.
Bruce Boyington (3-3) of Brewer will face Aaron Petrucelli (1-1) in a 145-pound bout that is one of four professional fights on the card.
Ray “All Business” Wood, also of Brewer, will make his final amateur appearance in a highly anticipated bout against Sophanarith “Soap” Am of Braintree, Mass. Wood (4-1) is ranked third among 145-pound amateurs by NortheastMMA.net, while Am (4-0) is the top-ranked fighter in that division.
Wood already has scheduled his professional debut for Fight Night V on Nov. 17 in Lewiston, where he will take on John “First Class” Raio of Topsham, 4-0 as an amateur.
Two other Young’s MMA amateur fighters on the New Hampshire card are Aaron Lacey, who will face Jarad Laganas at 165 pounds, and John Cunningham, who will square off against Daniel Phelps in a 170-pound bout.
NEF card targets breast cancer
New England Fights is staging a fundraising drive to benefit the American Cancer Society’s “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” program through Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick.
The mixed martial arts promotion will raise funds for breast cancer research and awareness in conjunction with Fight Night V, with a portion of ticket sales to be donated to Making Strides.
“Breast cancer has affected millions in our nation, whether it be the afflicted or their loved ones,” said NEF co-owner and promoter Nick DiSalvo. “My mother fell victim to breast cancer at a young age, so this is very personal for me. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we will be running a special on tickets from October 12 through October 26. Five dollars from each ticket sold directly through the Colisee box office with the promo code “thinkpink” between those dates will be donated to Making Strides.”
Fans are urged to purchase their tickets through the Colisee box office between those dates using the promotional code “thinkpink.” They can do so through the box office website at www.thecolisee.com, by calling the box office at 783-2009, ext. 525, or by visiting the box office at 190 Birch St., Lewiston.
Kill Their Will, an NEF sponsor, also has designed a T-shirt for the event with a portion of the proceeds from those sales to be donated to assist a mother of three in Liberty, who recently was diagnosed with breast cancer. Those T-shirts will be available for sale at Fight Night V or at the website www.killtheirwill.com.
‘Frosty’ freed to fight
Among the fighters scheduled to participate at Fight Night V is Brent “Frosty” Dillingham of Lewiston, who will be coming off a recent suspension issued by the Combat Sports Authority of Maine, the governing body for mixed martial arts in Maine.
According to a press release from the New England Fights promotional organization, the suspension stemmed from an incident following Dillingham’s last bout at Fight Night III in June.
Dillingham (3-0) emerged victorious that night over Lubec’s Crowsneck Boutin, a day after a confrontation between the two fighters at their weigh-in. Dillingham and Boutin reportedly continued to argue after their bout and had to be separated by officials and their respective corner men.
Dillingham was suspended for reportedly inciting a heated confrontation in the post-fight medical examination area and was unable to compete at Fight Night IV in September. The suspension subsequently sparked outrage among his fans, who began a “Free Frosty” movement in social media circles.
“It’s been kind of crazy,” said NEF co-owner and promoter Nick DiSalvo. “All of these ‘Free Frosty’ messages started to pop up. We started getting emails and calls off the hook asking if that meant that Brent is returning at Fight Night V. The answer, we’re proud to say, is a resounding yes.”
Dillingham’s Fight Night V opponent has not yet been determined.