December 11, 2018
Sports Latest News | Joyce McLain | Ranked-Choice Voting | Anthony Cipolle | Today's Paper

UMaine field hockey edges Brown on last-minute goal

ORONO, Maine — Hannah Keating (York, Maine) snapped a 2-2 tie with just 57-seconds remaining in regulation to lead the University of Maine field hockey team past Brown (3-7) by a score of 3-2. Nicole Sevey (Skowhegan, Maine) and Elke Jacobse (Badhoevedorp, Netherlands) also scored for the Black Bears who move to 9-5 on the season.

Just one goal was scored in the opening half as Brown took a 1-0 edge, 20:48 into the contest. Meghan O’Donnell tallied her fifth score of the season as she took advantage of a Maine turnover inside the circle and was able to flip a shot up and over Maine goalkeeper Sydney Kolysher (White Rock, British Columbia).

Maine battled back midway through the second half with a pair of scores separated by just 1:44. Sevey tied the game for Maine with her second goal of the year. Setup on a penalty corner try, Annabelle Hamilton (North Vancouver, British Columbia) blasted a shot from the top of the circle. Sevey was in perfect position on the left side of the cage as she stuck her stick out and was able to tip the Hamilton shot up and over Brown goalkeeper Shannon McSweeney.

The Black Bears used the momentum from their first goal of the day to immediately grab the lead a short time later as Jacobse found the back of the cage for her first career goal. The freshman forward was able to gain control of a loose ball in front of the Brown cage and flick a shot up and over a downed keeper, putting Maine on top 2-1.

Brown would answer just over 13-minutes later to once again tie the game. Kolysher went down and made a nice save on the original shot on the play but Brown’s Hannah Rogers was able to snag the rebound and take advantage of Kolysher being down as she snuck a shot past the Maine keeper on the right post.

Maine would go ahead for good with just 57-seconds remaining in regulation. Jacobse dribbled the ball through a pair of Brown defenders before sliding a pass from the right post over to Keating in the center of the cage. Keating would tip the shot towards the far post, putting a perfect touch on the ball which crossed the goal line to give Maine a 3-2 advantage that it would not relinquish.

Kolysher improved to 2-4 on the season after making a pair of saves in the cage for Maine. McSweeney drops to 3-7 on the season with the loss after making seven saves.

Maine outshot Brown 13-5 while each team had 10 penalty corner opportunities.


Saint Joseph’s 2, Mount Ida 2

STANDISH – Saint Joseph’s (5-4-2, 2-4-2 GNAC) and Mount Ida College (3-8-1, 1-7-1 GNAC) played to a 2-2 stalemate in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference women’s soccer contest at Westerlea Way Field on Monday afternoon.

Sophomore forward Danielle Daigle (Dayton, Maine) netted the game-tying goal late and recorded five shots in the conference deadlock.

The Monks, who dominated statistically in every facet other than the scoreboard, struck first on a Megen Pollini (Wolfeboro, N.H.) goal in the 20th minute, but the Mustangs countered with a Briana Tomaselli (Warwick, R.I.) score less than four minutes later and took the lead when Alison Koning (Carlisle, Mass.) scored 3:20 into the second stanza. With the game-clock dwindling, Daigle finished a Lizzie Calnan (Westport, Mass.) cross with a header to knot the match at two-apiece with just 2:45 remaining in regulation.

The best scoring opportunity over 20 minutes of extra play occurred at the 108:16 mark when Daigle broke free and streaked towards the right post, but Mount Ida keeper Samantha Basler (Plymouth, Mass.) left her feet to snare Daigle’s close-range shot and preserve the tie.

Pollini’s goal, her second of the season, was intended to be a pass, but the kick – taken from the right side from about 25 yards out — sailed high and into the top left corner of the net to lift the hosts to a 1-0 edge 19:43 into play.

Both of the Mount Ida markers were the result of defensive breakdowns by the Monks. The Mustangs got on the board at the 23:22 mark when Tomaselli sprang free on a long breakaway and beat Lorenzen with a kick to the left corner to make it a 1-1 contest. The visitors would take the lead 25 minutes later when Koning, hugging the right post, deflected a cross by Isabelle Moody (Naugatuck, Conn.) into the right corner.

Despite numerous scoring chances by the Monks, nearly 40 minutes of scoreless play ensued as the hosts’ opportunities proved fruitless until Calnan set up Daigle’s tying goal with a beautiful cross pass. Hustling down the right side of the field, Calnan outworked a Mount Ida defender to possess the ball and quickly booted the sphere into the box to Daigle, who one-timed a header into the top right corner past a diving Basler to tie the game and force overtime.

SJC junior netminder Jaci Lorenzen (Windham, Maine) made eight saves while Basler tallied 12 stops in the conference deadlock.

Saint Joseph’s held sizeable advantages in shots (31-11), shots on goal (15-10) and corner kicks (12-0) and was slapped with six fouls while Mount Ida was flagged on five occasions.

With the result, Saint Joseph’s is now 5-0-1 in the history of the series with Mount Ida College.

UMFK 2, W.Va. Tech 1

At Montgomery, W.Va., the University of Maine-Fort Kent survived a scare from new USCAA member West Virginia Tech and escaped their senior night with a 2-1 win.

Liz Morneault scored the game-winner on a header for 12-0 UMFK in the 77th minute.


Monks 1, AMCATS 0

PAXTON, Mass. – Saint Joseph’s College (6-6-2, 4-3-1 GNAC) edged Anna Maria College (2-10-1, 0-7-1 GNAC) 1-0 in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference men’s soccer contest on Monday afternoon.

Junior forward Zach Johnson (Westbrook, Maine) netted the game-winner 17:34 after the opening whistle. Sophomore Fabrice Iraduha (Portland, Maine) dangled through the Anna Maria defense and found Johnson, streaking down the left wing, who finished the play with this third goal of the season.

The AMCATS’ best chance of the first half came off a set play from a direct kick at the 28:39 mark, when captain Bryan Blomgren (Auburn, Mass.) headed a pass from Enco Lika (Worcester, Mass.) just over the cross bar.

The two teams battled during a scoreless second half, but Anna Maria freshman Belwin Koduah had a chance to tie the game at the 66:20 mark when his shot towards an open net was stopped by SJC defender Jack LaFreniere (Alton, N.H.).

The Monks dominated the stat sheet with advantages over the AMCATS in shots (34-14), shots on goal (14-6) and corner kicks (6-2). St. Joe’s first-year keeper Scott Benner (Post Falls, Idaho) made five saves to record his second shutout of the year, while his counterpart, Anna Maria netminder Scott Webster (Ocala, Fla.), posted 13 saves in the loss.

Saint Joseph’s is now 2-0 in the history of the series with Anna Maria College. The Monks defeated the AMCATS by a 3-0 margin in the first-ever meeting between the sides last fall.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like