LISBON, Maine — A garage was flattened and an attached home damaged after a fire erupted possibly from the smoldering debris of an earlier blaze Wednesday on Frost Hill Avenue.
Around 1:30 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of a garage fire at a home at 72 Frost Hill Ave.
Upon arrival, homeowner Christina Siragusa, her dog and all occupants were outside the house, Lisbon Fire Chief Sean Galipeau said.
He called a second alarm because of the time of day in order to ensure enough manpower. Durham, Topsham and Lewiston fire departments responded to the call; Sabattus and Bowdoin departments provided station coverage in Lisbon.
Galipeau said the homeowner stated she’d had a kitchen fire an hour or two before the garage fire, had put the fire out and disposed of burned debris in the garage.
Galipeau estimated the damage at $40,000 to $50,000.
“We made a good stand,” Galipeau said. “We got lines in from the unburned side and actually were able to hold it at the garage. The kitchen and the living room took a beating because up in that top loft area” the fire began to spread.
But firefighters stopped the fire there, “so it’s a good stop,” Galipeau said.
The homeowner has insurance, Galipeau said.
Luckily the fire was knocked down when it was: Galipeau said firefighters lost water service because a water main broke down the street. Firefighters then used water from a tanker and set up a dump tank.
“If that would have happened during the heavy involvement, this may have been a totally different story,” Galipeau added.
Two vehicles on the property were damaged. Siragusa declined comment Wednesday.