OTISFIELD, Maine — A local woman transported by helicopter to Maine Medical Center following a chemical explosion at her home was listed in fair condition at the Portland hospital Saturday night.
Tammy Thomas, 44, was injured Friday morning along with her parents in a pair of explosions believed to have been caused by a reaction of chemicals used to clean the family swimming pool. Thomas was the most seriously hurt in the explosions, which doused her in chlorine.
Family said Friday she suffered burns to her face and eyes and was on a respirator because she was having trouble breathing. Thomas’ husband, Shane, emailed the Sun Journal on Saturday and reported that doctors hoped to remove the breathing tube if there was no significant swelling of her airway.
Shane Thomas also reported that although the chemical burns to his wife’s body appeared minimal, doctors were still evaluating the extent of damage to her eyes.
“The doctors informed me yesterday that things could have been a lot worse for Tammy and her mom,” he said in his email.
Tammy Thomas is employed as a sergeant at the Oxford County Jail.