April 25, 2018
College sports Latest News | Poll Questions | George H.W. Bush | Litchfield Homicide | Schoolhouse Fire

Weekend college roundup: Maine 3, Vermont 2


Women’s soccer

ORONO — The University of Maine women’s soccer team battled to a 3-2 win over Vermont on Sunday at Alumni Field. Maine moves to 5-3-1 on the season with the win, while Vermont falls to 1-9-0.

Vermont struck first just 19 minutes into the game off the Bre Pletnik. Lisa Bijman (Brantford, Ontario) tied the game at 1-1 with two minutes left in the half. Bijman’s goal came off a penalty kick due to a Catamount handball.

The second half saw back and forth play until Liis Emajoe (Tallinn, Estonia) found the top left corner of the net on the unassisted strike at the 67 minute mark. Vermont would tie the game up just one minute later with the open net goal by Alexandra Dezenzo.

Maggie Malone (Halifax, Nova Scotia) scored the fifth and final goal of the game at the 85-minute mark. Malone’s goal was unassisted, as she dribbled the ball down the endline until she launched the ball over the outstretched keeper finding the top right corner of the net.

Lauren Swant (Oakville, Ontario) picked up her fifth win of the season in net for the Black Bears, allowing two goals with five saves on the afternoon.

Ally Ramos saw her record fall to 1-4-0 with the loss. Ramos allowed three goals while saving another three shot attempts.

Maine held a 14-10 shot advantage and also held a 5-3 edge in corners.

UMFK 5 Thomas 0

WATERVILLE — The University of Maine-Fort Kent women’s soccer team blanked Thomas College 5-0 in a non-conference contest Sunday afternoon.

Arianne Pelletier (So., Ste Jerome, Quebec) scored the first of her two goals on the day in the 24th minute of the first half to open the scoring for UMFK (8-0-0). Standout Freshmen Katherine Ferland (Montreal, Quebec) scored three second half goals to record her sixth hat trick of the season in just eight games. The Bengals outshot Thomas 29-6, and held an 11-0 advantage in corners.

Kimika Forbes (Jr., Trinidad & Tobago) picked up her fourth shutout of the season making one save on one shot for UMFK while Lindsay Hoopingarner (Richmond, Maine) had 17 saves in her first collegiate start for Thomas.


RANDOLPH, Vt. — The University of Maine-Fort Kent women’s soccer team blanked Vermont Technical College Saturday afternoon in a USCAA match.

Katherine Ferland (Montreal, Quebec) recorded her fifth hat trick of the season, scoring all three goals in the first half as UMFK built a 5-0 halftime edge. Kayla Richards (Fr., Presque Isle, Maine) added a goal and two assists on the day for UMFK and Kimika Forbes (Jr., Trinidad & Tobago) got credit for her third shutout making three saves on three shots for UMFK. Elise Coolbeth and Mallory Fischer combined to make 11 saves on 20 UMFK shots for 3-4-0 VTC.

Rivier 4, UMF 1

FARMINGTON, Maine – Visiting Rivier University women’s soccer grabbed an early lead it would never relinquish, and escaped Prescott Field with a 4-1 win over the University of Maine at Farmington on Sunday afternoon.

UMaine-Farmington dropped to 4-3-0 overall with the loss, while Rivier improved to 2-5-1 with the win.

The Raiders’ Lauren Tampossi gave Rivier the lead in only the 7th minute, when she completed a lengthy run up the left side and finished with a well-placed shot just inside the far post. Tampossi doubled up the Rivier lead in the 22nd minute by finishing on a corner, with an assist going to Hillary Hee.

UMaine-Farmington’s Kayla Tuttle (Waterville, Maine/Waterville) got the Beavers on the scoreboard late in the opening half, scoring on a deep shot from approximately 30-yards out that caught the Rivier defense off-guard. Alexandra Crocker (Glenburn, Maine/Orono) was credited with an assist on the play.

Neither team was able to generate much offensively in the early part of the second half, as the teams battled in the midfield. Tampossi broke the scoring hex in the 64th minute, finding the back of the UMF goal off a pass from Sahara Brown. Rivier’s Susan O’Loughlin ended the scoring, beating UMaine-Farmington keeper Beth Lebel (Lewiston, Maine/Lewiston) in the 82nd minute. O’Loughlin redirected a ball inside the UMF box, after an attempt by Paxton Larocque.

“Overall, we just didn’t play well as a team today. Individually, we did have some good performances, but we were a bit scattered and were unable to connect with each other,” said UMF head coach Molly Wilkie.

“Rivier came out with a lot of energy, and Lauren Tampossi was pretty much unstoppable. All the credit to them – they played well, and we weren’t able to match that intensity today,” said Wilkie.

Lebel finished the day with five saves, while Rivier keeper Kendra Shaw logged six saves for the Raiders. UMaine-Farmington outshot Rivier by a 19-11 tally, but the Raiders had five corner kicks to UMF’s one.

SUNY Canton 6, UMPI 1

CANTON, N.Y. — Six different players scored for the SUNY Canton women’s soccer team as they dominated the University of Maine at Presque Isle 6-1 on Saturday in Canton.

SUNY Canton (5-4) scored five goals in the second half and outshot the Owls 36-4 including a 16-1 advantage through the first 35 minutes of the game.

SUNY Canton jumped out on the Owls from the opening whistle keeping the ball in the offensive end for a majority of the first 45 minutes and letting Presque Isle enter their offensive end on just two possessions through the first 35 minutes of play. The Roos kept firing shot after shot at Presque Isle but were stymied on several occasions by missed shots and Owls goalie Amanda Larrabee (Fr./Jackson, ME) who had a hectic day with 17 saves. In the 16th minute it looked like the Roos would get on the scoreboard when junior Melissa Campoverde (Forest Hills, N.Y.) got off a shot from the left wing off her left foot on a bad angle but Larrabee made a leaping save to keep the game 0-0.

Two minutes later though the Roos were rewarded for a dominant offensive performance in the opening half when senior Chelsea Allen (Marcellus, N.Y.) took a pass from Campoverde and blasted a shot from 20 yards out that hit the crossbar and dropped inside the goal line for a 1-0 advantage.

The floodgates opened for the Roos in the second half as they pumped in three goals in the first 15 minutes to seize a commanding 4-0 lead. Freshman Karley Cree (Hogansburg, N.Y.), who had eight shots in the first half, finished off a nice pass from Allen to make it 2-0 in the 48th minute. In the 53rd minute Campoverde slid a nice pass across the box from the right side to a wide open Shannon O’Connor (Gansevoort, N.Y.) and the junior knocked the ball in for a 3-0 lead. Campoverde then scored from senior Jackie Sedlacek (Endicott, N.Y.) in the 60th minute stretching the lead to 4-0 in favor of the home team.

Presque Isle broke up the shutout bid with a goal in the 62nd minute from Kallie Pelleiter (So./Madawaska, ME).

The Owls played the game without two of their captains. Lainey Herring (Sr./Houlton, ME) was serving a one game suspension after earning a red card against UMaine-Machias earlier in the week. Goalkeeper Taylor Ussery (Sr./La Verne, CA) missed her fourth match due to injury.

Husson 1, MMA 0

BANGOR – The Husson women’s soccer team beat Maine Maritime 1-0 Saturday night at Boucher Field to remain undefeated in conference play.

In the 5th minute of the match junior Kelsey Brangiel (Newmarket, NH) scored on a pass from senior Emily Zurcher (Topsham, Maine) to put Husson up 1-0. Brangiel was able to cross the ball in front of the net placing it perfectly into the left corner.

The Lady Eagles dominated ball control and kept the Mariners out of Husson territory for most of the game. First year Erin Boulier (Bangor, Maine) broke up several MMA opportunities especially one that came not too soon after the Husson goal. In the 9th minute she raced down the field to stop a Mariner break away and slid the ball just out of the reach of her opponent, successfully clearing the ball out, and defusing any chance at Maine Maritime matching the score.

Steady pressure on the Mariner net kept MMA goalkeeper Taylor O’Malley (Middletown, RI) very busy. Husson showered the goal with 6 shots in each half and 3 cornerkicks. Zurcher led the offense with 4 shots.

Husson goalkeeper Jess Poulin (Albion, Maine) came up big at the end of the game during last minute efforts by the Mariners. Poulin had 4 saves in the win.

“Tonight was a great team win for us. We came out ready to play after a fantastic week of training, and Kelsey scored a beautiful early goal. Erin Boulier, and really our whole back line, was solid, and the team worked hard to implement our game goals for the night and all the things we worked on in training this week, especially connecting with one another. I am pleased with all the offense we created and very happy that the team pulled off another important conference victory,” said Husson coach Carly Gettler after the game.

St. Joseph’s 1, Emerson 1

STANDISH — Saint Joseph’s (3-2-1, 0-2-1 GNAC) and Emerson College (4-1-2, 2-0-2 GNAC) dueled to a 1-1 stalemate in GNAC women’s soccer action at Westerlea Way Field on Saturday afternoon.

Trailing 1-0 late in the contest, sophomore forward Danielle Daigle (Dayton, Maine) scored off a Megen Pollini (Wolfeboro, N.H.) corner kick at the 87:03 mark to force overtime. Although both sides would have chances to take the victory during extra play, neither would hit pay dirt as the conference rivals were forced to settle for the tie.

After an uneventful first half and similar start to the second stanza, Emerson kicked off the game scoring in the 62nd minute when Mollie Coyne (Hamilton, N.J.) broke the deadlock off a Riana Odin (Trumbull, Conn.) pass. Odin, taking a free kick from about 40 yards out, booted the ball towards the right side of the net and found her teammate Coyne, who drilled a header into the left corner of the net to make it a 1-0 game in favor of the visitors.

The tempo of the game increased significantly following the Lions’ score, as the Monks started to mount a steady flow of offensive pressure in the Emerson defensive zone. Sam Peters (Gorham, Maine) seemed to control the right side of the field and, as a result, had several prime scoring opportunities to no avail.

In a match that featured just six total corner kicks in 110 minutes of play, the Monks were awarded a corner in the 88th minute and Daigle took full advantage when she one-timed a header into the net off Pollini’s perfectly placed kick.

Both sides had an opportunity to clinch the win before the regulation buzzer rang. Peters, near the 20, used a slick pass to find Jodi Pollack (Andover, Mass.), who turned the corner around a defender and sailed a shot just beyond the top left corner of the net. Coyne nearly netted the winner in dramatic fashion when she worked her way into daylight inside the box and hurtled a shot on target, but SJC keeper Jaci Lorenzen (Windham, Maine) jumped and batted the ball up over the net to preserve the 1-1 score.

Lorenzen was brilliant in extra play, when she made a pair of saves and left her post with reckless abandon on several occasions to either challenge an Emerson player 1 v 1 or snare an attempted crossing pass.

Although Lorenzen, who made 10 saves in the stalemate, played exceedingly well, much credit should go to the SJC defense as the group – led by senior Casey Monaghan (Portland, Maine) and sophomore Lauren Titus (Arundel, Maine) – time and again was up to the task on jump balls and passing plays out of the defensive end.

UMF 2, Lyndon State 1

FARMINGTON, Maine – Senior defender Logan Faulkingham’s (St. Louis, Mo./Maplewood-Richmond) goal in the 84th minute, just the second of her career, lifted the University of Maine at Farmington to a 2-1 win over Lyndon State College, in North Atlantic Conference women’s soccer on Saturday at Prescott Field.

UMaine-Farmington improved to 4-2-0 overall, 2-0-0 in the conference, with the win, while Lyndon State fell to 2-5-0, 0-2-0 in the NAC.

Faulkingham buried a long ball that was misplayed by the Lyndon State defense for her first goal since her freshman campaign, breaking open a game that had been tied since the 55th minute. Lyndon State’s Emily Strese knotted the game at 1-1, scoring unassisted off a long run and a finishing shot that beat UMF keeper Beth Lebel (Lewiston, Maine/Lewiston).

Senior forward Alida Peake (Penobscot, Maine/George Stevens Academy) put the Beavers on the scoreboard early in the first half, heading a ball past Lyndon State keeper Dannika Dobrowksi off a corner kick by UMF’s Ava Amador (Farmington, Maine/Mt. Blue).

UMaine-Farmington had a commanding 27-3 advantage in shots taken, with Dobrowski logging eight saves in the Lyndon State goal over the course of 90 minutes. Lebel charted two saves in the UMF goal. Farmington also had a 10 corner kick opportunities and was called offside four times, while Lyndon took four corner kicks and was whistled offside twice.

Middlebury 1, Bowdoin 0

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – In a battle of unbeaten squads, the ninth-ranked Middlebury women’s soccer team remained perfect with a 1-0 victory over Bowdoin on Dragone Field Saturday.

Middlebury held a 6-1 shots advantage in the first half, with neither team able to find the back of the net. Bowdoin threatened late in the first half, but a header from Amanda Kinneston was stopped by Panther keeper Elizabeth Foody. In the second half. Moria Sloan found Scarlett Kirk on a crossing pass, with her shot denied by a diving save from Bowdoin keeper Bridget McCarthy.

The game’s only goal came at the 51:41 mark, the first of her career for senior Lucy Wagner. The defender launched a shot from near the end line in the right corner, with the ball sailing high over the head of McCarthy and into back side of the net.

Each team had a few chances in the remainder of the second half, but the Panther defense remained unscored upon this season, securing the 1-0 victory. Foody finished with five saves overall, while McCarthy made four stops for the Polar Bears.

Keene State 3, USM 0

GORHAM, Maine – Junior Beverly Cole (Madbury, N.H.) had a goal and an assist as the visiting Keene State College Owls shut out the University of Southern Maine 3-0 in a Little East Conference women’s soccer match Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field.

The win was the second straight for the Owls, and improved their record to 3-5 overall and 1-1-0 in conference play. The Huskies fell to 1-7-0 overall and 0-2-0 in LEC games.

With less than three minutes to play in the opening half, Cole scored the Owls’ second goal of the match when her partially stuffed shot from 10 yards out squirted inside the left post. The goal was the second of the season for Cole.

Cole picked up her first assist of the season on the lone goal of the second half, an 18-yard blast off the crossbar by senior Brittany Croteau (Swanzey, N.H.) in the 71st minute. The goal was Croteau’s first of the campaign.

The Owls took a 1-0 lead in second minute of play when junior Kara Pavlidis (Lee, N.H.) launched a 30-yard shot over USM freshman goalkeeper Marissa Temple (Grafton, Mass.) and under the crossbar for her third goal.

Keene State sophomore goalkeeper Torrie Crenson (North Salem, N.Y.) registered two saves to earn her first shutout of the season. Temple and senior Katie Cobb (Lewiston, Maine) split the goalkeeping chores for Southern Maine. Temple made six saves in the opening half while Cobb stopped four shots in the second half.

The Owls piled up a 21-4 advantage in shots and an 8-1 margin in corner kicks.

Colby 2, Tufts 1

SOMERVILLE – Tufts University and Colby College traded goals in the final minutes, but it was the first score by the Mules in the first half that gave them a 2-1 victory over the Jumbos in New England Small College Athletic Conference women’s soccer action at Kraft Field on Saturday.

Colby had the first scoring opportunity of the game as junior Annie Papadellis (Hopkinton, MA) was pulled down in the box in the second minute of the game. Sophomore Cami Notaro (Bethesda, MD) was unable to connect on the penalty kick however, as Jumbo goalkeeper Kristin Wright (Austin, TX) smothered the attempt.

The Mules kept the offensive pressure on through the early going in the half. In the 15th minute Papadellis broke down the middle of the field, took a lead pass from junior Crysti Tsujiura (Scarborough, ME) and drilled a low laser from the center of the field to the lower right corner of the net for the game’s first goal.

Colby threatened to break the game open in the 81st minute as the Mules had three opportunities in the space of 15 seconds. Wright made two saves and the third shot clanged off the post.

The lead remained at one until the 83rd minute when Tsujiura took a cross from senior Kate Laxson (Wazata, MN) from the right corner and shot across the cage to the lower right corner of the net for a 2-0 Mules lead. It was Tsujiura’s team leading fourth goal of the season.

Tufts pulled within a single score in the 89th minute on a penalty kick following a foul in the box by Colby. Junior Anya Kaufmann (Evergreen, CO) blasted the ball to the low right side eluding Mules goalkeeper Emily Brooke (Duxbury, MA). The Jumbos were unable to get another shot the reminder of the contest.

Each team had 11 shots during the game, with Colby holding a 6-2 edge in corner kicks. Brooke made five saves for Colby while Wright notched three for the Jumbos.

Gordon 2, UNE 0

BIDDEFORD, Maine — The Gordon College women’s soccer team scored a goal in each half on its way to 2-0 victory over the University of New England in Commonwealth Coast Conference action Saturday afternoon at Barbara J. Hazard Field.

The Fighting Scots, who had lost their two previous meetings with the Nor’easters, improved to 7-1 overall and 2-0 in conference matches. UNE now stands at 3-6 (1-1 CCC).

Gordon got on the board early when sophomore Taylor McSherry (Wolcott, Conn.) controlled a rebound and deposited the ball in the back of the net 4:41 into the contest to give the visitors a 1-0 advantage. Senior Caitlin Nedde (Colchester, Vt.) put the initial shot on goal after a service from the right corner to help set-up the play.

UNE had its best scoring opportunity of the day in the 14th minute as senior Nicole Faircloth (Westfield, Mass.) found the crossbar with a shot from long range.

The Fighting Scots gained some breathing room in the 72nd minute. Junior Woudenberg (Whitinsville, Mass.) struck a corner kick from the right side that found the head of graduate student Krysti Leach (Naples, Maine), who re-directed it into the goal.

Junior Kari Christenen (Standish, Maine) stopped seven UNE shots on goal to record the victory. Junior goalkeeper Gina Iannazzi (Methuen, Mass.) had nine saves for the Nor’easters.

Men’s soccer

NMCC splits two

The Northern Maine Community College Falcons split two road games over the weekend. On Saturday the Falcons avenged a 2-1 loss to CMCC last Saturday by defeating the Mustangs by the same score in Auburn.

Brandon Anthony converted a pass from Josh Allen at the 8:11 mark of the first half. The Falcons added another second half goal at 19:30 when Allen scored a spectacular diving head ball past the CM goalie on a pass from Anthony to put NM ahead 2-0.

CM cut the lead in half at 27:30 on an Alex Lyons goal but the Falcons held on for the win. Goalie Brad MacKenzie made 7 saves on 15 shots. CM goalie Alex Pinto 5 saves on 17 NM shots.

On Sunday against Southern Maine CC, the game remained scoreless until the 22:40 mark of the second half when SM converted a penalty kick for the game;s only score as neither team could dent the other teams defense.

NMCC dropped to 2-5 and the SM Seawolves improved to 5-2. Brad MacKenzie made 8 saves on 29 shots for NMCC while Dakota Bush made 3 saves on 5 shots for SMCC.

Colby 7, UMF 0

WATERVILLE — The Colby College men’s soccer team finally scored some goals as the Mules opened up a 5-0 halftime lead on the way to a 7-0 victory over University of Maine at Farmington in non-conference play Sunday.

Colby, now 1-2-2 overall, had not scored a goal in the opening four games of the season. The Mules’ defense has allowed just one goal in three New England Small College Athletic Conference games.

First-year forward Matt Giron (Barrington, R.I.) ended the scoreless drought at 14:32 of the opening half. Andrew Meisel’s penalty kick was saved by UMF goalkeeper Chris Roberts (Arundel, Maine), but Giron raced in and knocked in the rebound.

Sophomore Charlie Dupee (Portland, Maine), who scored two goals on the day, made it 2-0 at 26:40 when his shot deflected off a UMF defender and into the net. Meisel padded the lead to 3-0 when he ripped a shot from the top of the box just 50 seconds later.

Colby went up 5-0 at the break when Dupee had some dribbling space into the box and tallied at 35:35. Eric Nesto (Weston, Mass.) scored his first collegiate goal at 39:48 when he dribbled into the box and nailed a shot for the score.

Colby tallied 10 minutes into the second half when John Bengtson (Hebron, Conn.) scored his first collegiate goal in front off a corner kick by Chris Roccotagliata (Roslyn, N.Y.). Matt Ayers (Lewisburg, Pa.) also notched his first collegiate goal from the center of the box off a pass from Roccotagliata at 56:30.

UMF (1-7 overall) received four saves from Roberts, while the Mules used Cody Funkhouser (Hopewell, N.J.) for the first half, Josh Richards (Newton, Mass.) for 37 minutes in the second half, and Peter Quayle (Lincoln, Mass.) for the final eight minutes.

Bates 1, Thomas 0

WATERVILLE — The College Terriers (5-1-1, 2-0 NAC) suffered their first loss of the season, after a hard fought 1-0 defeat to Bates College (2-2-1). Mikkail Crockwell (St. David’s, Bermuda) had five saves in the loss for Thomas.

Ethan Hirshberg would score the lone goal of the contest for Bates in the 22nd minute, as John Murphy crossed the ball on a corner, and Hirshberg would head it past Crockwell in a crowded box. Bates held Thomas to just one shot in the first half, while posting 11 themselves.

The Terriers would pick up the pressure in the second half, but were unable to get one by Bates netminder Zach Shabman, who had three saves in the victory. Three penalty kicks in the later stages of the game gave Thomas an opportunity, but were not able to capitalize.

Bates had an 8-0 advantage in corner kicks in the win.


RANDOLPH, Vt. — Chris Brooks (Clarendon, Jamaica) scored twice to lead the visiting U-Maine-Fort Kent men’s soccer team past Vermont Technical College 4-1 in a USCAA match Saturday afternoon.

UMFK, who improved to a perfect 7-0-0 with the win, outshot VTC 34-3 in the contest and held a 25-1 advantage by halftime. Giovanni Sinclair (Sr., St. Elizabeth, Jamaica) and Alex Caballero (So., Orono, Maine) combined to make one save on two VTC shots while Nate James made 15 saves in goal for 2-4-0 VTC. Joaquin Currier-Cuber scored for VTC in the 46th minute.

SUNY Canton 3, UMPI 1

CANTON, N.Y. — The SUNY Canton men’s soccer won their second straight game on Saturday as they shut down the University of Maine at Presque Isle 3-1.

The Roos evened their record at 3-3 beating the Owls (4-2), who are ranked 12th in the USCAA Coaches Poll for the fourth straight time.

The Roos took control of Saturday’s contest from the onset generating several good scoring opportunities in the first 13 minutes of the game. SUNY Canton outshot the Owls 13-1 in the first half and 20-4 overall. The offensive pressure paid off in the 38th minute when sophomore Shane Powell (Yonkers, N.Y.) lofted a pass from the right wing to a cutting Abdulai Jagana (Bronx, N.Y.) who sent a quick shot into the left corner of the net for a 1-0 lead.

Two minutes later sophomore Ashley Butterworth (Preston, United Kingdom) scored on a direct kick from 30 yards out that found the far right side of the goal and the Roos took a 2-0 lead into the break.

In the 82nd minute the Roos’ Elhadji Gueye slid a pass to freshman Antonio Kadylak who blasted a low, hard shot from 35 yards out into the left corner of the goal.

The Owls got one back in the 83rd minute when Kobe Ashkir (So./Portland, ME) scored to break up the shutout.

Freshman William Banahen (Rochester, N.Y.) made one save in 60 minutes in goal and sophomore Antonio James (Black River, St. Elizabeth) had two saves playing the remainder of the game.

Joshua Mackinnon (Jr./Linsmore, NS) posted 11 saves for the Owls.

Husson 3, MMA 1

BANGOR — The Husson men’s soccer team beat Maine Maritime 3-1 Saturday evening at John P. Boucher Field.

Husson’s Sophomore Phil Frost (Bangor, Maine) started the scoring off with a goal on a penalty kick in the 3rd minute of the game. Frost placed the ball just to the right of Maine Maritime goalkeeper William Trace Lacour (Charlottesville, Virginia) putting the Eagles up 1-0.

A steady misty rain made ball handling conditions a little tougher than usual causing stirs in front of both goals making the goalkeepers work extra hard to control the ball under pressure.

Senior Captain Trevor Higgins (Kittery, Maine) struck next for the Eagles in the 49th minute with assists from Sophomore Brian Loiselle (Bangor, Maine) and Senior Captain James Crockford (Watford, England) on the goal. Higgins netted the ball after Loiselle headed Crockford’s corner kick his way.

The Mariners scored their lone goal at 80:54 into the match when Freshman Matt Leblanc (Dayton, Maine) scored off a ball from Junior Gabriel Warren (Edgecomb, Maine).

Husson Sophomore Stephen Berenyi (Levant, Maine) stopped any hopes of a Mariner comeback when he scored at 88:00 minutes into the game with an assist from Junior Zach Emeigh (Ellsworth, Maine).

Husson goalkeeper Brian Potter (Waterville, Maine) had a strong performance in net, stopping 4 out of the 5 shots he faced. In the very physical match Husson out played MMA with 15 shots and 6 corner kicks.

“It was a very solid performance tonight it was great to get Zach Emeigh and Stephen Berenyi back. We are extremely happy with the win and looking forward to next weekend now that we are in league play” said Husson coach Jeff Gettler after the game.

St. Joseph’s 2, Emerson 1

STANDISH — Saint Joseph’s (4-4-1, 2-2-0 GNAC) tipped Emerson College (2-5-0, 0-2-0 GNAC), 2-1, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men’s soccer match at Westerlea Way Field on Saturday afternoon.

With the game tied 1-1 and the clock winding down towards extra play, Zach Johnson (Westbrook, Maine) netted what proved to be the game-winner off a Ross Suleski (Amesbury, Mass./St. Thomas Aquinas) crossing pass with 5:12 remaining. After a slow start to the season, St. Joe’s seems to have found its stride and has now won three consecutive games.

Senior captain Teddy Palmer (Scarborough, Maine) started the game scoring when he tallied his third goal of the year just 4:06 after the opening whistle. Jack LaFreniere (Alton, N.H.) started the play with a well-placed throw-in that landed in the box. Emerson keeper Carter Bowers (Gorham, Maine) quickly collected the ball, but lost it when he collided with a defender and Palmer was in the right place to kick the sphere into a wide open net.

The 1-0 edge remained until the 63rd minute when Jon Havens (Williamsport, Penn.) knocked in a pass from Alex Sypsomos (Bangkok, Thailand) to knot the game at one-apiece. Sypsomos, unchecked at midfield, was found with an easy pass, dribbled down the right side of the field, and delivered a right to left crossing pass to Havens, who one-timed a kick past SJC netminder Scott Benner (Post Falls, Idaho).

The Monks mimicked the Lions’ goal just over 22 minutes later when Suleski broke free on the right side and dished a perfect right to left feed to Johnson, who toed the ball past Bowers for the game-clincher.

Benner made four saves to earn his third career win and second GNAC triumph of the year. Bowers recorded six stops in a losing effort for the Lions. Saint Joseph’s held a 16-10 advantage in shots and a 4-1 lead in corner kicks while being out-flagged by Emerson by an 8-7 margin on the afternoon.

Lyndon State 5, UMF 2

FARMINGTON, Maine – Lyndon State College tallied four goals in the second half, including two that were part of a two-minute scoring flurry, and posted a 5-2 North Atlantic Conference men’s soccer win over the University of Maine at Farmington, Saturday afternoon at Prescott Field.

Four different players contributed goals for Lyndon State (2-5-0, 1-1-0 North Atlantic Conference), who took a 1-0 lead out of the first half and survived a UMaine-Farmington (1-6-0, 0-2-0 North Atlantic Conference) rally early in the second.

Lyndon’s Lueth Lueth extended the Hornets’ lead to 2-0 with 39:41 remaining in the second half with an unassisted goal. UMaine-Farmington responded 55 seconds later, with defender Uriah Forrest-Bully (Turner Falls, Mass./Turner Falls) beating Lyndon State keeper Jason Gray off an assist from Alex Slack (Wiscasset, Maine/Wiscasset).

Any lift UMF might have gotten out of Forrest-Bully’s goal was short lived. Lyndon State’s Shane O’Donnell-Leach again gave the Hornets a two-goal advantage, scoring with 38:18 showing on the second half game. The Hornets’ Colin Brady was credited with an assist.

Lyndon State’s Patrice Lumumba added goals in the 60th and 74th minutes to stretch the Hornets’ lead to 5-1, but the Beavers’ Austin Dooley (Buckfield, Maine/Buckfield) cut the margin to three goals with a marker in the 80th minute off a nifty passing play. UMF’s Nick Grim (Ipswich, Mass./Ipswich) played a crossing ball from the near corner right through the six-yard box to Dooley, who one-timed a shot into the goal from the far post.

Each team finished the day with 19 total shots, with eight shots on goal for the Hornets and four for the Beavers. Gray logged two saves in 75 minutes of play in the Lyndon State goal, while reserve keeper Jason Marks did not record a save in his 15 minutes of work at the end of the game.

UMF keeper Paul Dupre (Rehoboth, Mass./Xaverian Brothers) charted three saves over his 78 minutes in goal, before Chris Roberts (Arundel, Mass./Thornton Academy) came on for the final 12 minutes of play.

Gordon 5, UNE 0

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Junior Andrew Vandervoort (Memphis, Tenn.) scored four goals to lead the Gordon College men’s soccer team to a 5-0 shutout of the University of New England in Commonwealth Coast Conference play Saturday at Barbara J. Hazard Field.

The victory snapped a five-game losing streak for the Fighting Scots, who improved to 2-5-1 overall and evened their record at 1-1 in conference play. UNE (3-5, 0-2 CCC) suffered its third straight setback.

After Gordon junior goalkeeper Tim Hardy (Gorham, Maine) stopped a UNE penalty kick in the 23rd minute, the Fighting Scots seized momentum right away. Vandervoort converted a header off a set piece initiated by sophomore Andy Gurthrie (Beaver Falls, Pa.) from the left flank to give Gordon a 1-0 lead in the 28th minute.

Vandervoort would double the visitors’ margin just three minutes later, converting a penalty kick after a UNE defender was whistled for a foul in the box.

Gordon pulled away with three-second half tallies. Vandervoort registered a hat-trick off a centering pass from sophomore Kevin Payne (Grant Pass, Ore.) in the 55th minute, then notched his fourth marker of the afternoon less than three minutes later, converting a rebound of a saved Nick White (Glenside, Pa.) shot on goal. Sophomore Alek Duba (Bristol, N.H.) completed the scoring with an unassisted goal in the 73rd minute.

Hardy earned the win in goal with one save over the first 79:09. Reserve netminder Aaron Horton (Douglas, Mass.) came on to make one stop the rest of the way.

Sophomore Aidan McParland (Brockville, Ontario) had five saves for the Nor’easters, who were outshot 19-12 for the match.

Keene State 2, USM 1 (OT)

KEENE, N.H. — Junior Brain Swindell’s (Milford, Mass.) goal 2:22 into the first overtime lifted the Keene State College men’s soccer team to a 2-1 victory over the University of Southern Maine in a Little East Conference game played at Owl Athletic Complex on Saturday.

The win was the fifth in the last six games for the Owls who are now 6-2 overall and 2-0 in LEC games. The Huskies, who suffered their fifth straight loss, fell to 1-7 and 0-2 in conference play.

Senior back Ian Ferguson (Millwood, N.Y.) set up the winning goal by lofting the ball into the box. Swindell headed the ball into far corner for his second goal in as many games.

Southern Maine opened the scoring at the 5:19 mark of the first half. Freshman Luke Pugsley (Kennebunk, Maine/Milton [Mass.]) sent a short pass ahead to classmate Harrison Hall (Kennebunkport, Maine/Kennebunk) who buried a hard shot in the far corner of the net.

After a sluggish first half, Keene State took control of the game and got the equalizer at the 57:06 mark of the second half. USM senior goalie Jeremy Turner (Portland, Maine/Deering) was able to make the initial stop on a shot by KSC senior Kyle Leavitt(Plymouth, Mass.), but senior Preston Ingram (Derby, Vt.) knocked in the rebound to knot the score with his first goal of the season.

Keene State had several opportunities to win the game in regulation. Turner came up big, diving to make a save on a bid by Swindell later in the half.

KSC senior goalie Malcolm Cheney (Hopkinton, Mass.) finished the game with three saves. Turner turned aside 10 shots for Southern Maine.

Keene State outshot USM 22-8, limiting the visitors to just three shots in the second half and overtime. The Owls had a wide 12-2 advantage in corner kicks.

Colby 0, Tufts 0

SOMERVILLE, Mass. —- The Colby College defense and goalkeeper Cody Funkhouser once again were tough in a New England Small College Athletic Conference game during the Mules’ 0-0 overtime tie with 22nd-ranked Tufts University on Saturday.

The Mules, who are still looking for their first goal of the season drop to 0-2-2 overall and 0-1-2 in league play. Colby has allowed just one goal in the three NESCAC games. Tufts came into the game unbeaten, but its record is blemished slightly now at 4-0-1 overall..

The first half of regulation was played primarily in the middle half of the field with neither team having a good scoring opportunity until late in the stanza. Colby had the game’s first legitimate chance in the 41st minute off a corner kick, but a shot went wide. Tufts’ best chance came less than a minute later as sophomore Gus Santos (Framingham, Mass.) blasted a rocket that went just high.

Shortly before the half, senior Andrew Meisel (Newtown, Conn.) lobbed an intercepted Jumbo crossing pass over charging Tufts goalkeeper Wyatt Zeller (Sea Ranch Lakes, Fla). The ball floated over the crossbar and landed behind the Tufts goal.

The Mules came out blazing in the second half taking two shots in the first minute of play. Colby kept up the pressure and had the game’s best scoring chance in the 51st minute, but Zeller engulfed a point-blank shot from five yards out. Zeller had another big save in the 89th minute off the foot of junior Nate Tolman (Scarborough, Maine) to send the game to overtime.

Colby nearly tallied the game winner in the second overtime as a shot off a corner kick went just wide left. Tufts’ best opportunity for the golden goal came two minutes later as a shot by Santos was blocked by a Colby defender at the goal mouth.

Tufts had the advantage in shots in the game by a count of 13-7. The Jumbos also had 10 corner kicks to six for Colby. Funkhouser (Hopewell, NJ) had three stops for the Mules.

Bowdoin 1, Middlebury 0

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – Bowdoin sophomore Andrew Gray came off the bench to score the game-winning goal with 10:01 remaining as the Polar Bear men’s soccer team earned a 1-0 road win at Middlebury on Saturday afternoon.

With their fourth consecutive win, the Polar Bears improve to 4-1 (1-1 NESCAC) this fall. The Panthers fall to 3-2 this season (1-2 NESCAC).

Both teams traded plays in the midfield in the opening half, with the best chance coming for Middlebury in the 28th minute when a string of nice passes brought the ball to the foot of Sam Peisch, who played a nice cross to the direction of Noah Goss-Woliner. Bowdoin goaltender Will Wise made a diving break-up, however, to keep the game scoreless into intermission.

Bowdoin’s best chances all came in the second half, starting in the 57th minute when Andrew Jones struck a low, hard shot that sailed through the defense but skipped just wide. The Polar Bears again came close in the 76th minute as an Eddie Jones strike soared just over the cross bar.

The Polar Bears finally put one home with just over 10 minutes to go as Eric Goitia played a free kick into the box. The ball rattled around until coming to the foot of Andrew Gray, who ripped a shot that was deflected by Middlebury goaltender Zach Abdu-Glass but rolled into the net for the go-ahead goal.

Middlebury made a bid to tie the game immediately following the Bowdoin goal, as a corner kick came to Deklan Robinson, who lobbed a shot towards the net. Eddie Jones cleared the ball off the goal line to preserve the lead, and the win, for the Polar Bears.

Wise was credited with one save for Bowdoin, who held a 5-3 advantage in shots. Abdu-Glass did not make a save for Middlebury.

Field hockey

UMF 7, Lasell College 2

NEWTON, Mass. – The University of Maine at Farmington field hockey responded to an early-second half deficit with six unanswered goals and posted a 7-2 win over North Atlantic Conference foe Lasell College, Sunday afternoon at Grellier Field.

UMaine-Farmington remains undefeated in NAC play with a 3-0 record, 3-3 overall, while Lasell fell to 3-6, 1-4 in the NAC.

Tied at halftime, Lasell’s Ainslee Thompson gave the Lasers a 2-1 lead with 30:37 left in the second half on a penalty stroke goal.

The Beavers’ Emma Daniel (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxborough) knotted the game at 2-2 with an unassisted goal with 28:55 remaining, kick-starting UMaine-Farmington’s comeback bid. Lily Barry (Hermon, Maine/Hermon) gave the Beavers their first lead of the day just under two minutes later, with an unassisted marker.

Kaitlyn Bullen (New Sharon, Maine/Mt. Blue) scored her second goal of the day with 17:46 left to play, with Daniel earning the assist, and Chelsea Morley (York, Maine/York) gave the Beavers a 5-2 lead with 11:36 remaining. Barry added her second of the day in the 62nd minute of play, and the scoring ended with a Lasell own goal on a penalty corner with 3:31 showing on the clock.

Sophomore Curran Brierley (East Hampton, N.Y./East Hampton) played all 70 minutes in the UMaine-Farmington cage, but did not record a save. Lasell’s Cassie Aviles and Taylor Sheehan shared the goalie duties, with Aviles recording all 12 Lasell saves over 62 minutes in the Lasers’ cage. UMF enjoyed a 26-4 advantage in total shots, and had 19 penalty corners to Lasell’s three

Simmons 1, Thomas 0

BOSTON — Simmons (2-7, 1-2 NAC) defeated Thomas College (2-5, 1-2 NAC) 1-0 in a North Atlantic Conference field hockey game Sunday afternoon. Junior Monica Doucette scored just 2:02 into the first half to lift the Sharks to the victory.

The Sharks controlled the opening minutes of play with clean passing through the midfield. Sophomore Meghan Fay (Foxboro, Mass.) sent a cross ball through the circle to Doucette who buried a shot past Terriers goalkeeper Sofia Sourgiadakis to put the Sharks on the scoreboard.

Thomas saw their best chance in the second half off a penalty corner when Brittany Premo (Concord, N.H.) sent a ball to the top of the circle to Ally Kennedy (Winthrop, Maine) who swept the ball just wide of the Sharks cage. Simmons responded three minutes later with shot by Seneca Martensson that beat Terriers goalkeeperJasmine Bishop (Waterville, Maine) but defender Becca Boyce (Corinna, Maine) was there for the defensive save.

The Terriers remained on attack with nine penalty corners in the second half alone but the Sharks defense of Caroline Bishop, Avery Hines, and Michaela Sangillowere steady and consistent in front of goalkeeper Renna Smith, who picked up seven saves in the win.

The Sharks held a 25-15 advantage in shots while Thomas held a slight edge in penalty corners, 18-14. Sourgiadakis and Bishop combined for 16 saves for the Terriers.

Saint Joseph’s 4, Rivier 3

NASHUA, N.H. — Freshman Kayla Royer (Greene, Maine) scored 8:14 into the second overtime to lift Saint Joseph’s (6-2, 3-1 NAC) past Rivier University (1-8, 0-4 NAC), 4-3, in a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) field hockey contest on Sunday afternoon.

Royer netted her first collegiate goal in dramatic fashion, beating Rivier keeper Makenzie Flagg (Shirley, Mass.) on a well-executed penalty corner for the winner. Rachelle Messuri (Atkinson, N.H.) and Carley Denis (Lewiston, Maine), who took the corner in bounds, were both credited with assists on the play.

Rivier senior Ashley Ruocco (East Kingston, NH) scored two first half goals as the Raiders held a 2-1 advantage at the horn. Ruocco netted her first goal after senior Kristen Tyler (Thornton, NH) threaded a pass through a pair of SJC defenders at the 4:53 mark. The duo would reconnect later in the half (31:42 mark) as Ruocco took the pass from Tyler and dribbled around Monks starting keeper Emily Gallant (Rumford, Maine).

The visitors scored their first-half goal eight minutes later when Denis knocked home a rebound in front of the Rivier cage.

The Monks would tie the game and take the lead in the second half. Brittany Locke (Waterville, Maine) hammered home a shot from the 16 in the 49th minute off a corner with assists going to Theresa Hendrix (Scarborough, Maine/Cheverus) and Elizabeth Andersen (Cumberland, Maine).

Messuri went on to provide the Monks with their first lead of the afternoon when she scored on a penalty corner at the 56-minute mark. Denis tapped the ball into Messuri, who lifted a shot up and over a diving Flagg, and was awarded an assist on the score.

Trailing by a goal, Rivier would mount a tremendous push inside the final minute. Tyler took a shot from inside the 16 and the rebound fell on the stick of Breanna Budyrk (Tewksbury, Mass.), who put the ball into the wide open cage to tie the game at three-apiece with just 21.7 seconds remaining in regulation.

Saint Joseph’s was awarded a penalty stroke when Flagg left the cage and covered the ball three minutes into the first OT frame, but the Rivier keeper swallowed up the shot taken by Messuri to preserve the stalemate.

Flagg finished the game with 20 saves as the Monks outshot the Raiders by a whopping 31-4 margin. SJC senior goalkeeper Taylor Allison (Pawtucket, R.I.) earned the win in relief after coming off the bench and made one save in 59:55 between the pipes.

Babson 3, Bates 2

BABSON PARK, Mass. — Three different Babson College players scored goals and goalies Kayla Florence and Kayla Costa combined to make nine saves in net as the Beavers held off visiting Bates College, 3-2, in a non-conference field hockey matchup at MacDowell Field on Sunday afternoon.

With its fourth consecutive victory, Babson improved to 7-2 on the season, while the Bobcats sank to 1-4 with their second setback in as many days. Bates plays host to Husson in another out-of-conference game on Wednesday at 6pm.

Babson had two great scoring chances early on, but Bates’ junior keeper Becca Otley (Cumberland, Maine) made two big saves to keep the game scoreless. The first was a blocker swat of Tricia McQuade’s shot that was deflected high into the air at 13:21, and the second was a kick save on a hard shot by Morgan Lockwood on a Babson penalty corner at 13:53.

The Beavers eventually broke through with the game’s first goal at 19:37, as Lockwood scored her team-leading 12th of the season with a sweeping six-yard shot off a short crossing pass from Alex Cabreros.

Bates mounted some offensive pressure in the closing moments of the first half, amassing three straight penalty corners and four shots on net in the final three minutes. Florence stopped the first three shots she faced, including a pair of kick saves on direct penalty corner drives from junior Lexie Carter (Saco, Maine), but the Bobcats finally tied the game with 23 seconds left in the period.

Receiving the ball at the top of the circle on yet another penalty corner, Carter smashed a drive toward the left post. There, senior Riley Kundtz (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) redirected it past Florence and into the far side of the cage for her first goal of the season, tying the contest at 1-1 at 34:37.

Bates had an opportunity to grab the lead early in the second half, but Florence made another kick save on a hard drive by Bates junior Polly Merck (Beverly Farms, Mass.) just three minutes in. The Beavers then scored the go-ahead goal less than two minutes later, as Caroline Malone swept a shot inside the far post from the left side off a perfect pass from Lockwood at 39:42. It was Malone’s sixth marker of the season and it put the hosts in front, 2-1.

Babson tacked on what proved to be a critical insurance goal in the 53rd minute, beginning with a clean breakaway by Lockwood down the middle of the field. Otley came charging out of net and made a sliding tackle to knock the ball off Lockwood’s stick, but the defection caromed out to the left wing. There, Kelly Walsh ran it down and blasted a lunging shot into the open cage for her ninth goal of the year and a 3-1 Beaver lead at 52:29.

The Bobcats cut their deficit to 3-2 six minutes later, as junior Bridget Meedzan (Ipswich, Mass.) took a penalty corner entry pass from Kundtz on the left side of the circle and ripped a direct shot into the center of the cage for her third goal of the season at 58:10.

Bates had several chances to pull even down the stretch, but Beavers’ back-up keeper Costa came up with numerous clutch stops to preserve the lead. The first came just seconds after Meedzan’s goal, as Merck found space just inside the top of the circle but had her drive denied by the rookie keeper at 58:19. The Bobcats then had another rush at 59:40, but Merck’s initial shot from two yards out was saved by Costa and Kundtz’s follow-up bid went just wide into the outside of the net.

Florence played the first 40 minutes in net and picked up the win for Babson, making a total of five saves. Costa came on in relief and went the final 30 minutes, turning away four shots. For Bates, Otley started and made four stops in 56 minutes of action, and first-year Cristina Vega (Needham, Mass.) added two saves.

Middlebury 2, Bowdoin 1

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The Middlebury College field hockey team scored a pair of first-half goals and held off Bowdoin for an eventual 2-1 win in a battle between nationally-ranked squads on Saturday afternoon at Kohn Field.

The Panthers, ranked third in the latest NFHCA Division III poll, improve to 4-0 (3-0 NESCAC) and deal the fifth-ranked Polar Bears (4-1, 1-1 NESCAC) their first regular season loss since October of 2010, snapping a string of 18 consecutive wins.

The Panthers jumped out early as Katherine Theiss connected with a breakaway pass ahead to Lauren Greer, who flicked the ball past Bowdoin netminder Kayla Lessard just 8:16 into the contest. Lessard kept her team close with several nice saves on penalty corner opportunities for Middlebury in the ensuing minutes, allowing Bowdoin to make a bid to tie the score late in the half.

Off a penalty corner, Brooke Phinney ripped a shot that bounced behind Middlebury’s goaltender Madeline Brooks, but was swept off the goal line by defender Meredith Rowe to preserve the hosts’ one-goal edge. Moments later, Greer connected with Catherine Fowler in front, who ripped a shot past Lessard for a 2-0 edge at 26:16.

Middlebury carried its lead through halftime until Bowdoin’s Katie Riley redirected an Olivia King shot at 40:20 to trim the edge to 2-1. The Polar Bears had seven shots in the second half, but could not find an equalizer.

Bowdoin’s Lessard and Middlebury’s Brooks finished with six saves each in the game. Bowdoin held a 15-14 advantage in shots.

Keene State 6, USM 0

KEENE, N.H. – Senior Kalin Billert (Center Conway, N.H./Kennett) scored three goals to lead the Keene State College Owls to a 6-0 win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in a Little East Conference field hockey game Saturday afternoon in Keene, N.H.

With the win, the Owls improve to 4-4 overall and 2-1 in the conference. The Huskies drop their fourth consecutive game to fall to 4-5 overall and 1-2 in the Little East.

After an early goal from freshman Hayley Dolan (West Brookfield, Mass./Quaboug) to spot the Owls an 1-0 lead in the ninth minute, Billert rattled off three consecutive goals, including a pair in the first half for a commanding 3-0 KSC lead.

Billert tacked on her third goal of the game just under three minutes into the second half for 4-0 Owls lead. Sophomore Marisa Lemoine (Berlin, N.H.) added two goals in the 46th and 49th minutes respectively for the 6-0 final.

The Owls outshot USM 19-4 and held a 9-2 advantage in penalty corners. Sophomore Caitlin Davino-Draper (Hanover, N.H.) earned the win making two saves in 45:14 of action for the Owls. Freshman Meghan Dwyer (Rutland, Mass.) saw 16:49 of action without making a save, before freshman Chloe Audesse (Goffstown, N.H.) finished out the final 7:57 making one save.

Junior Kayla Kennedy (Windham, Maine) took the loss allowing four goals in 41:50 of action while making three saves. Sophomore Lindsey Fortin (Berwick, Maine/Noble) made three saves and allowed two goals in the final 28:10.

UNE 3, Gordon 0

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Sophomore goalie Kaitlyn Warren (Boscawen, N.H.) posted 13 saves without allowing a goal as the University of New England finished off a 3-0 win over Gordon College in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) field hockey action Saturday afternoon (Sep. 22) at the Big Blue Turf.

Senior Laura Egounis (Boscawen, N.H.) added three defensive saves to help preserve the clean sheet for the Nor’easters (4-3), who move to 2-0 in league play. UNE has come out victorious in the last six meetings with the Fighting Scots (1-8, 0-2 CCC).

Big Blue sophomore Hannah Warren (Harrison, Maine) opened the scoring in the 4th minute, taking a pass from junior Hayley LaPointe (Topsham, Maine) and driving home a shot from the left side.

That margin carried through halftime, until a 38th-minute goal by junior Hannah Tavella (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) made the difference two. Warren and senior Emily Koehler (Pelham, N.H.) assisted on the play.

In the 54th minute, junior Brittany Liptak (Westfield, Mass.) capped the day with a finish at the left post, as classmate Casey Clark (Bethlehem, N.H.) was able to find her with a pass out of a crowd in front.

For Gordon, which ended with a 21-16 advantage in shots during the game, junior goalkeeper Anna Bury (Huntingtown, Md.) made seven stops.

Tufts 3, Colby 2

MEDFORD – Junior Emily Cannon (Atkinson, NH) scored the first two goals of her collegiate career to lead the Tufts field hockey team to a 3-2 win over Colby College in a NESCAC game on Saturday afternoon at Bello Field.

The Jumbos dominated play for most of the game, finishing with a 33-7 advantage in shots and 23-2 in penalty corners. However, Colby was opportunistic offensively and junior goalie Michelle Burt (Woodbridge, CT) made 15 saves to keep it close.

Tufts took a 1-0 lead just five minutes into the action when senior co-captain Lia Sagerman (LaJolla, CA) tallied her third goal of the year on a rebound. Colby came right back and scored on their only shot of the first half as first-year Ellie Donohue (Andover, MA) scored on an attempt that bounced off a Tufts defender in front. That tied the game 1-1 with 26:15 on the clock.

The quick scoring pace continued, as Cannon scored her first on a play in front with 11:47 elapsed and Tufts was up 2-1. That’s how the half ended, with the Jumbos holding a 19-1 advantage in shots and 9-0 in corners.

Cannon’s second goal of the game come on a beautiful backhand shot off a pass from first-year Amanda Jamison (Gaithersburg, MD) to make it 3-1 with 17 minutes remaining in regulation. The Mules cut the margin to 3-2 on a great passing play from first-year Megan Fortier (Falmouth, ME) to sophomore Kaitlyn O’Connell (Danvers, MA) with 10:36 remaining. However, that’s how it ended.

Tufts improved to 4-1 overall and 2-1 in NESCAC with their fourth straight win. Sophomore Brianna Keenan (Greenland, NH) earned the win in goal, making two second-half saves. The Jumbos turn-around and take a trip to Trinity tomorrow for a tough conference game at 1 pm.

Colby, which saw a two-game winning streak end, dropped to 2-3 overall and 0-3 in the league.

UMF 6, Simmons 4

BOSTON — University of Maine at Farmington senior Lily Barry (Hermon, Maine/Hermon) and junior Kashley Weymouth (Pittston, Maine/Gardiner) each logged a pair of goals to lead the Beavers to a 6-4 win over Simmons College, in a North Atlantic Conference field hockey contest Saturday afternoon.

UMaine-Farmington improved to 2-3 overall, and remains undefeated in the NAC with a 2-0 mark. Simmons fell to 1-8, 0-2 NAC, with the loss.

Weymouth scored the Beavers’ go-ahead goal with 23:46 remaining in the opening half, breaking a 1-1 tie to give UMF the lead. Barry extended the Beavers’ lead to 3-1 with her first goal of the day with 12:36 left in the opening frame.

Weymouth gave UMF a 4-1 advantage with an unassisted goal with 7:20 left in the frame, but Simmons trimmed the lead to 4-2 on a goal by Kelly Williamson with 28 seconds left on the clock.

Simmons’ Meghan Fay reeled UMaine-Farmington back to within one with an unassisted goal just 42 seconds into the second half. The score remained 4-3 for nearly 20 minutes, before Barry finally responded for the Beavers with her second solo goal of the night with 19:29 showing on the clock.

The two teams traded goals down the stretch, with Simmons’ Amy Cronin scoring for the Sharks and Kaitlyn Bullen (New Sharon, Maine/Mt. Blue) answering for the Beavers.

Senior Annie Agnew (Guilford, Maine/Piscataquis Community) scored UMaine-Farmington’s first goal of the game just 96 seconds into the contest, setting an early tone for the Beavers offensively. Barry was credited with an assist on the goal, giving her five points on the day.

UMaine-Farmington outshot Simmons, 26-12, and took 11 penalty corners while denying Simmons a single penalty corner opportunity. Beavers goalie Curran Brierley (East Hampton, N.Y./East Hampton) logged a pair of saves in the UMF goal, while Simmons goalie Renna Smith was credited with 15 saves in the Sharks’ cage.

NEC 3, St. Joseph’s 2

HENNIKER, N.H.– New England College (3-6, 2-1 NAC) posted a 3-2 overtime victory over Saint Joseph’s (5-2, 2-1 NAC) in a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) field hockey contest on Saturday afternoon.

New England sophomore Patricia Wright (Essex, Mass.) netted a goal 5:31 into extra play to lift the Pilgrims to their third victory of the year and first win over St. Joe’s in three meetings between the conference rivals.

New England College would waste no time getting on the board as junior forward Rachel Hunt (Harwich, Mass.) would net her second goal of the season assisted by Kristen O’Connell (Melrose, Mass.) just 1:14 into the game.

The two teams would battle through the remainder of the opening half scoreless as the Pilgrims would hold the slight 11-7 advantage in shots.

St. Joe’s would have a scoring opportunity early in the second half as Carley Denis (Lewiston, Maine) would have a wide open look at the net but NEC defender Jaclyn Papagni (Lynnfield, Mass.) would come up with a huge defensive save keeping the Monks off the board.

NEC would take a 2-0 lead ten minutes into the second half as O’Connell would find senior midfielder Rachel Carnaroli (Bellingham, Mass.) who would lift a shot over Monk keeper Taylor Allison (Pawtucket, R.I.) recording her fourth goal of the season.

Saint Joseph’s would respond just 40 seconds later as Monks’ leading scorer Rachelle Messuri (Atkinson, N.H.) would dribble through three Pilgrim defenders to net her fourth goal of the season. The Monks would knot the game at 2-2 with 11:29 remaining to play as Amanda Celata (Dedham, Mass.) would fire in a pass from Meghan Williams (Greenland, N.H.).

The two teams would force overtime closing out the game scoreless. It would be the Pilgrims who would come out on top in the first overtime as Wright would put in a pass from Alicia Bartosik (Hoosick Falls, N.Y.) 5:31 in giving NEC the 3-2 victory.

Picking up the win in goal for NEC was Courtney Duquette (Enfield, N.H.) who finished with 15 saves. SJC senior netminder Taylor Allison (Pawtucket, R.I.) finished with eight saves.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like