June 19, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Four injured when boat runs aground near Georgetown

By Christopher Cousins, BDN Staff

GEORGETOWN, Maine — Four people were rescued by local lobstermen Monday evening after their boat ran aground near the mouth of the Sheepscot River, according to the U.S. Coast Guard and Maine Marine Patrol.

Maine Marine Patrol Sgt. Dan White said at least three of the four people in the boat were taken to local hospitals.

The owner and operator of the 22-foot center-console boat was 76-year-old Glenn Wise, who has addresses in Georgetown and Florida, according to White. His wife, Ann Wise, 74, was taken to Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick where she was treated and released Monday night. Two passengers, William and Helen Hale, 87 and 56 years old, respectively, who are from Georgetown and New Hampshire, were taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland. A hospital spokesman said late Tuesday morning that William Hale was in fair condition and that Helen Hale had been treated and released.

According to White, the four were traveling from Southport to their homes on MacMahan Island when they hit a ledge near Georgetown’s Turnip Island at about 7:30 p.m. White said the passengers were “thrown all over the boat,” but as far as he knew they were not ejected into the water.

Members of the Georgetown Fire and Rescue Department and an Inland Fisheries and Wildlife warden were among the first to arrive at the scene in the Sheepscot River, thanks to a quick response by three local lobstermen, Brian Kelly, Steve Thibodeau Sr. and Ronnie Pinkham, said White.

“Georgetown is a pretty tight-knit community,” said White. “A lot of the first responders there could be relatives of these three guys. That’s how it works pretty much all along these coastal towns.”

White said the accident was reported by the victims of the crash, who used cell phones to call 911. Initially there was confusion about where exactly they were located.

White said the boat was damaged by did not sink. It was near dark at the time of the accident and water was near low tide.

The incident remains under investigation.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like