June 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Contractor accidentally starts fire in Orrington home

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

ORRINGTON, Maine — A fire that was accidentally started by a home repair contractor Monday afternoon caused thousands of dollars of damage to a home on Dornish Road, an Orrington Fire Department official said Monday.

The fire at 17 Dornish Road was reported at 3:48 p.m. according to Assistant Fire Chief Scott Stewart.

He said the fire began shortly after a contractor who was working on the house accidentally pounded a nail through the house’s main electrical wire, located up near the attic of the 1 1/2 story structure, Stewart said.

Though the fire did not start right away, the contractor called the fire department because a great deal of heat was coming from the area.

The heat eventually started a fire that damaged parts of the attic, the roof, the siding and some of the house’s ceilings, among other things, Stewart said. He said the house also appeared to have sustained some structural damage. He estimated damage at least $15,000 to $20,000.

Stewart said the homeowner, whose name was not immediately available, is insured and that no one was injured. The homeowner reportedly is staying with family or friends in the area until repairs can be made, he said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like