BOWDOIN — A Bowdoin man suffered “serious traumatic injuries” to his legs Sunday afternoon after a fireworks mishap at his home on Litchfield Road.
William Sawyer, whose age was not available at press time, was setting off “a plethora” of fireworks in his yard just before 4:30 p.m. when something went awry, Bowdoin Fire Chief Tom Garrepy said.
Sawyer suffered “serious, traumatic injuries” to the right rear thigh and left knee, Garrepy said.
Lisbon rescue took him to Maine Medical Center. His condition was not immediately available.
Bowdoin firefighters extinguished a small fire that ignited in dry grass near the accident, according to Garrepy.
Sawyer was outside by himself at the time, and his wife was inside. No one else was injured.
The town of Bowdoin has no restrictions on the use of fireworks.
Three investigators from the Maine State Fire Marshal’s office were on the scene shortly after the incident, and will continue the investigation.
“When fireworks injuries happen, they want to make sure they have all their bases covered,” Garrepy said.