June 20, 2018
College sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Weekend college roundup: UM-Fort Kent 11, Fisher 0


Women’s soccer

FORT KENT —- The U-Maine Fort Kent women’s soccer team easily defeated Fisher College (Boston) 11-0 Sunday afternoon in a nonleague match.

Freshmen forward Katherine Ferland (Montreal, Quebec) led UMFK (4-0-0) with four goals and an assist on the day while junior midfielder Jenn Colpitts (Scarborough, Maine) added two goals and two assists. UMFK outshot Fisher 34-3 on the day.

UMFK keeper Kimika Forbes (Fy., Trinidad & Tobago) made two saves on three Falcon shots for the win while Jessica Russo stopped 13 of 34 UMFK shots for Fisher who falls to 1-4-0.

UM-Farmington 3, MMA 1

CASTINE, Maine – UMaine-Farmington scored goals on both sides of intermission to hand Maine Maritime a 3-1 setback in the North Atlantic Conference women’s soccer opener for both squads. Shelby Bryant (S. Portland, Maine) netted the game-winning goal to lift the Beavers to 3-1 (1-0 NAC), while dropping the Mariners to 2-4 (0-1 NAC).

A hard collision between a Farmington striker and a Maine Maritime defender and keeper late in the 42nd minute set up a goal kick for the Mariners. An errant strike put the ball on the foot of Bryant at the top of the box. She arched it over the head of Mariners’ starting keeper, Taylor O’Malley (Middletown, R.I.) to break a 1-1 deadlock.

Local product, Alida Peake (Penobscot, Maine), put Maine Maritime on ice finishing a scramble in the 57th minute. Kayla Tuttle (Waterville, Maine) played a back heel in the box that left the Mariners’ defense unsettled. The initial foray appeared to be lodged between keeper Kelsie Hilton (Monmouth, Maine) and a defender, but Peake pried the ball loose and popped it over the prone players for the 3-1 final.

Meryl Bond (Jefferson, Maine) and Rachel Clement (Gray, Maine) combined for Farmington’s first goal, which was answered by the NAC’s leading scorer, Annie Koensgen (Placitas, N.M.). Dani Holt (Portland) served a corner that was headed home by Koensgen for her seventh goal of the season.

Koensgen’s header was one of the Mariners’ five shots in the game, and the only one on target. Farmington peppered the Mariners’ cage throughout. Keepers O’Malley and Hilton combined for 16 saves. Working the duration of the second half, Hilton stopped 11 shots.

Bates 2, Trinity 1 (2OT)

LEWISTON — Lily Peterson headed in the game-winning goal with 3:47 left in the second overtime period, giving the Bates College women’s soccer team a 2-1 victory over Trinity College on Sunday at Russell Street Field.

Bates (1-3-0, 1-3-0 NESCAC) received both of its goals from rookies, in the Bobcats’ first conference win of the season. Trinity (1-3-0, 0-3-0 NESCAC) remained winless in NESCAC play.

Karen Lockhart put Bates on the scoreboard first in the 20th minute, when she kicked a loose ball in from five feet away from the goal line, after Trinity goalkeeper Monika Difiorio deflected Bates midfielder Sam Rose’s initial shot from the outside perimeter of the box.

Trinity erased Bates’ 1-0 halftime lead in the 48th minute, when Abbey Lake stole the ball from a Bobcat defender near the right baseline, then was able to free up a left-footed shot that passed in front of Bates goalkeeper Anabel Schmelz and into the far left corner of the goal.

With both teams playing their second game in as many days, fatigue played a factor in the late minutes of regulation time and into overtime. Although the team with the wind at its back outshot the opposition in the three other periods, the Bobcats played a tough first overtime with the wind in their faces, matching the Bantams with three shots in the 10-minute period, while Schmelz came up with one of her six saves to stop Elisa Dolan’s bid to end the game.

Difiorio made a save of her own in the second overtime, on a shot by Bates first-year Maggie Coco, to preserve the 1-1 tie. But a foul called on Trinity with four minutes left in the game gave Bates’ Camille Smith a free kick from just inside the midfield line, on the left side of the field. With the wind at her back, Smith boomed the ball into Trinity’s penalty area, where it took one large bounce toward the right post. The 5-foot-10 Peterson got behind her defender, outleaped her for the ball and pushed it past the advancing Difiorio and into the net.

Bates outshot Trinity by a 3-0 margin in the final 10-minute period, and 19-14 in the game.

Difiorio made eight saves, while Schmelz came up with six for Bates.

Maine 2, Rhode Island 1

Kingston, R.I. – The University of Maine women’s soccer team was victorious Sunday as they won by a score of 2-1 against Rhode Island. With the win, the Black Bears improve to 4-3-1 on the season while the Rams fall to 6-3-1.

Camille Varin-Tremblay (St.-Hubert, Quebec) scored the first and only goal of the opening half. Tremblay’s goal coming just four minutes into the game off the Charlene Achille (Longueuil, Quebec) assist marks her first goal in the 2012-13 campaign.

Eve L’Abbe (Laval, Quebec) scored her second goal of the season to give the Black Bears a 2-0 advantage; the goal would eventually become the game winner. E. L’Abbe found the upper left corner of the net at the 86-minute mark on the unassisted strike.

Ashley Evangelista scored her fifth goal of the season at 89:54 to cut the Black Bears lead to one. Evangelista scored off a free kick.

Lauren Swant (Oakville, Ontario) got the start in net for Maine. Swant continues her impressive first season with a near shutout this afternoon, improving her record to 3-2-1 with three saves and one goal against.

Reilly Lindsey got the start for the Rams this afternoon. Lindsey saw her record fall to 2-3-1 with one save and two goals against.

E. L’Abbe received the only yellow card of the match at the 61-minute mark.

The Rams held a 6-5 shot advantage over the Black Bears.

UM-Presque Isle 7, Fisher 0

PRESQUE ISLE — Chelsea Lynds-Beaulieu (So./Presque Isle, ME) scored three goals leading UMaine-Presque Isle women’s soccer to a 7-0 win over Fisher College on Saturday. The win for the Owls improved their record to 2-3.

Playing in the 2nd game of a men’s and women’s soccer doubleheader during the school’s Homecoming festivities, UMPI was spared much of mother nature’s wrath that the men’s team faced earlier. Instead, for the Falcons’ goaltender Jessica Russo, it may have seemed like it was raining soccer balls. UMPI put a season-high 24 shots on goal.

Lainey Herring (Sr./Houlton, ME) opened the scoring two minutes in with her team-leading 6th goal of the season. Lynds-Beaulieu punched in her lone 1st half score to give UMPI a 2-0 advantage. Jennifer Ouellette(Jr./Van Buren, ME) notched the first two goals of her season and by halftime UMPI had built a 5-0 lead.

Fisher (2-3) played the game with only 10 players and managed one shot in the contest.

U. New England 1, W. New England 0

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — First-year Kristin Dechene (Nashua, N.H.) scored the only goal of the match in the 73rd minute, giving the University of New England women’s soccer team a 1-0 win over Western New England University in the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) opener Saturday afternoon (Sep. 15) at Suprenant Field.

Dechene’s marker was set-up by sophomore Margaret Palmer (Scarborough, Maine), who found the rookie on a break with a long pass. Dechene worked past two defenders before putting a shot into the upper right corner, bringing her total to four goals in the last three games.

UNE (3-4, 1-0 CCC) survived the best scoring chance from the Golden Bears in the 80th minute, as junior goalkeeper Gina Iannazzi (Methuen, Mass.) made a driving stop on a bending shot from WNE first-year Rachel Suntag. Iannazzi finished with seven saves for her second shutout of the year.

The Nor’easters ended the match on top in shots, 14-9, but down in corners, 7-1.

Simmons 1, St. Joseph’s 0

STANDISH – Simmons College (2-3, 1-1 GNAC) defeated Saint Joseph’s College (3-1, 0-1 GNAC), 1-0, in the Monks’ 2012 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) opener at Westerlea Way Field on Saturday afternoon. SJC netminder Jaci Lorenzen (Windham, Maine) recorded nine saves in the hard-fought loss.

The visiting Sharks broke a scoreless tie in the 52nd minute of play when junior Desh Perera (Reading, Mass.), who sprinted past several St. Joe’s defenders to collect a high-bouncing clearing kick off the foot of Simmons keeper Briana Hayes (Manorville, N.Y.) near midfield, broke free on a breakaway to net the game’s only goal.

Simmons, which lost to reigning GNAC Champion Lasell College by a 2-1 margin on Wednesday, held advantages in shots (25-12) and corner kicks (7-4) in today’s match.

Sophomore Lauren Titus (Arundel, Maine) paced the Monks with three shots while freshman Megen Pollini (Wolfeboro, N.H.) attempted two shots in a losing effort. Hayes made five saves to collect the shutout for the visitors.

Western Conn. 5, So. Maine 0

DANBURY, Conn. — Freshman forward Camille Lawson (Newington, Conn.) scored a pair of goals, her first two collegiate markers, and the Western Connecticut State University women’s soccer team cruised to a 5-0 victory over University of Southern Maine in the teams Little East Conference opener at The WAC on Saturday afternoon.

In the 20th minute, junior Ariana D’Aurio (Cheshire, Conn.) put the Colonials on the scoreboard when she drove in alone from 25 yards away and deposited her team-leading fourth goal of the season.

Lawson put the home team up 2-0 when she finished off a pass from Kelsey Chaco (Plainville, Conn.) with 20 minutes left before intermission.

Senior Tracy Sales (Cumberland, R.I.) notched her second goal of the season at 55:06, twelve minutes before she fed Lawson with her second tally of the afternoon.

Sophomore Alexandra Moravsky (Sherman, Conn.) added her first goal of the season following a 20-yard pass from Alisan Sartori (Danbury, Conn.) with just over six minutes left in the game.

The Colonials, 4-1-1 overall and 1-0 in the LEC, received another outstanding performance from their defense, allowing just one shot from the Huskies over the 90 minutes. Western’s keeper corps of Caitlin Avery (East Hampton, Conn.) and Jamie Trayer(Oakville, Conn.) were not challenged but played an integral part of Western ability to build from the back.

Western had an 18-1 advantage of shots on the afternoon.

Southern Maine, 1-5 overall and 0-1 in the league, split duties between freshman Marissa Temple (Grafton, Mass.) and sophomore Sara Bishop (Hermon, Maine) with Temple making 10 of the 13 combined saves.

Amherst 2, Bates 0

LEWISTON, Maine — The No. 7 nationally ranked Amherst College women’s soccer team rode a 1-0 lead from the 18th minute until the 85th, en route to a 2-0 NESCAC victory over Bates College on Saturday at Russell Street Field.

Although most of the first half’s action took place in the middle third of the field, Amherst (2-0-0, 1-0-0 NESCAC) outshot Bates 12-6 in the period and created more scoring chances. With 27:15 left in the half, a close-in shot by Kathryn Nathan caromed off of a Bates defender and past Bates goalkeeper Anabel Schmelz for a 1-0 Amherst lead.

Bates showed greater energy and played Amherst more evenly in the second half, evidenced by a lower 7-6 deficit in shots taken. But a defensive miscue late in the game resulted in a breakaway opportunity for Amherst forward Amanda Brisco, who tipped a ball past a Bates defender to set up a one-on-one chance against Schmelz, who was virtually helpless to stop Brisco’s low shot into the far side of the net.

Schmelz turned away eight shots for Bates; Holly Burwick made six saves for Amherst.

Bowdoin 2, Brandeis 1

WALTHAM, Mass. – The Bowdoin College women’s soccer team continued its torrid start with an impressive 2-1 win at nationally-ranked Brandeis on Saturday.

The Polar Bears remain unbeaten, improving to 4-0-0 for the first time since 2007 under first-year head coach Brianne Weaver. The 18th-ranked Judges concede their first two goals of the season and fall to 5-1-0 overall.

The first half of the contest was evenly played, mainly in the midfield, with Bowdoin owning a 6-4 edge in shots and 4-1 advantage in shots on goal. The Polar Bears broke through in the final minute of play, when sophomore back Kathleen Smith fed rookie forward Audrey Phillips at the right side of the 18-yard box. Phillips lofted a high shot that went just over the outstretched arms of Brandeis senior Francine Kofinas and under the crossbar just 48 ticks before halftime.

Brandeis turned up its pressure in the second half, outshooting Bowdoin 10-4, but rookie Bridget McCarthy made six of her seven saves after the break. Her finest moment came in the 67th minute, when she made a diving save on Brandeis sophomore forward Sapir Edalati to push the ball past the right post. McCarthy also made a nice stop on the ensuing corner kick, getting in front of a shot by junior Mary Shimko.

The Polar Bears got a key insurance goal in the 85th minute, when junior midfielder Mary Popolizio one-timed home a cross from rookie Jennifer Hofstetter. The additional goal would prove to be crucial, as Brandeis scored just 3:05 later. Edalati got a head on a corner by sophomore midfielder Alec Spivack for her second goal of the season. But the goal was too little, too late, as the Judges couldn’t muster another shot in the final 2:52.

McCarthy finished with seven saves for the Polar Bears, while Kofinas had two and sophomore Michelle Savuto had one in the second half.

Middlebury 3, Colby 0

WATERVILLE, Maine —- The 10th-ranked Middlebury College women’s soccer team improved to 3-0 overall after a 3-0 victory over Colby College in NESCAC play Saturday.

Rachel Madding (Hillsborough, Calif.) scored the lone goal of the first half at 28:12 when she took a pass from Maddy Boston (Mill Valley, Calif.) and scored on a long blast.

Hannah Robinson (Davidson, N.C.) made it 2-0 at 65:36 of the contest off an assist from Julia Favorito (Winchester, Mass.). The Panthers finished the scoring when Ali Omsberg (Belgrade, Maine) tipped in a shot off a pass from the corner by Scarlett Kirk (San Francisco, Calif.).

Elizabeth Foody (Ottawa, Ontario) made one save to earn Middlebury’s third shutout in three games. Jayde Bennett (Lynn, Mass.) played the first half for Colby and made two saves, while Emily Brook (Duxbury, Mass.) came on to start the second half and also stopped two shots.

Men’s soccer

UMFK 10 Fisher 1

FORT KENT — Ten different players scored for the U-Maine Fort Kent men’s soccer team as they rolled past visiting Fisher College (Boston) 10-1 Sunday afternoon in a nonleague match.

UMFK (4-0-0) outshot Fisher (0-5-0) 20-2 and had a 8-0 edge in corner kicks. Giovanni Sinclair (Sr., St. Elizabeth, Jamaica) and Alex Caballero (So., Orono, Maine) were not forced to make a save on one Fisher College shot.

Gary Maldonado scored the Fisher goal in the 81st minute and Steven Masterson and Joseph Green combined to make three saves on thirteen UMFK shots.

Bates 0, Trinity 0 (2OT)

LEWISTON — There was plenty of action in a well-played and even game between the Bates College and Trinity College men’s soccer teams on Sunday at Russell Street Field, but no goals scored, leaving the NESCAC rivals with a 0-0 tie to show for all their effort.

With each side generating its fair share of scoring chances, Bates (1-2-1, 0-2-1 NESCAC) outshot Trinity (2-1-1, 1-1-1 NESCAC) by a 21-14 margin, including a 4-0 edge in the first overtime period, when the Bobcats had the wind at their backs.

The teams switched ends for the final 10-minute overtime, and both sides got off two shots apiece, though the Bantams tested Bates first-year goalie Zach Shabman, forcing him to make two saves to preserve the stalemate.

Shabman made five saves in all to earn his first collegiate shutout, a 110-minute one at that. Meanwhile, Trinity’s James ciano was credited with eight saves in his shutout effort.

Trinity was whistled for 22 fouls to Bates’ nine, and the Bantams were yellow-carded three times in the contest.

Jason Symonette put both of his two shot attempts on goal for Trinity; Alex Harvey led the Bantams with three shots taken. For Bates, Ethan Hirshberg put two of his five shots on goal, and John Murphy put two of his four attempts on net.

MMA 3, UM-Farmington 1

CASTINE – Nicholas George (Bangor, Maine) factored in on all of Maine Maritime Academy’s goals in a 3-1 win over UMaine-Farmington. George netted the first two and assisted on the insurance marker to get the Mariners (3-2, 1-0) off to a winning start in North Atlantic Conference play. The Beavers dropped their fourth consecutive contest.

Abduallah Alkhayyat’s (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) through ball at the top of the box late in the 16th minute was sent to the lower left corner by George to give the Mariners an early jump. It was the only goal scored in the first half, but not the only time Alkhayyat set up for George. With the game knotted at 1-1, Alkhayyat inserted a ball into the box from the right side for a George finish. His fifth goal of the season held up as the game-winner, however, he tacked on the helper on a late insurance marker finished by Kyle Haslam (Lamoine, Maine), who punched in for the fourth time in his freshman campaign.

Dahir Muktar (Lewiston, Maine) accounted for the Beavers tally. A nifty give-and-go down the left side of the box left Mariners’ keeper, William Trace Lacour (Charlottesville, Va.) with little shot to stop the Beavers’ advance. Lacour posted a pair of saves, including a dandy from point blank to seal the victory. Farmington keeper, Paul Dupre (Rehobeth, Mass.) turned away seven Mariners’ shots. Maine Maritime fired off 21 shots to Farmington’s five.

Bowdoin 1, Babson 0

BABSON PARK, Mass. – Zach Danssaert scored the game-winning goal with 4:04 remaining to give the Bowdoin College men’s soccer team a 1-0 win over 10th-ranked Babson on Sunday afternoon.

With their third consecutive victory, the Polar Bears improve to 3-1-0 and beat a ranked opponent for the first time since 2010. Babson loses its first game of the season and drops to 5-1-1 on the year.

The two sides engaged in a physical, defensive battle for the much of the afternoon, with Bowdoin finally making the most of one of its few scoring opportunities. The Babson defense blocked shots by Danssaert and first-year forward Andrew Jones in the moments leading up to the deciding goal. Eddie Jones won a battle for the ball in the corner and dealt a short pass from the right flank to Danssaert, who tucked a shot inside the right post for his team-leading fourth goal of the season.

The Beavers pressed forward in the final four minutes and nearly equalized to force extra time in the waning seconds. Junior back Dillon Ventura hit a 30 yard blast that caromed off the cross bar and out of harm’s way with just 31 seconds remaining.

Outside of the final moments, both teams had their best scoring opportunities in the opening 30 minutes of the game. Babson’s Brenden Matthews ripped a shot from just inside the top of the box that Bowdoin junior keeper Will Wise tipped over the cross bar in the 21st minute, and senior Eric Anderson had his header bounce just over the frame off a cross from junior Kevin Israel in the 29th minute.

Bowdoin’s Sam White missed just high in the 18th minute, and Jones hit a rocket from 30 yards out that Babson junior goalkeeper Jackson Klein was able to knock down before smothering the rebound in the 24th minute. Senior forward Michael Gale nearly put the Polar Bears ahead just after halftime with a blast from just outside the box, but Klein made a diving save to his right to keep the game scoreless.

Wise made one save to earn his third consecutive shutout for Bowdoin, who has not allowed a goal in its last 331:57. Klein made three saves for Babson. Bowdoin outshot Babson 15-8 on the afternoon, including a 10-3 advantage in the second half.

UM-Presque Isle 10, Fisher 0

PRESQUE ISLE — Brandon Caverhill (So./Caribou, ME) scored the first two goals of the game and the University of Maine-Presque Isle men’s soccer team never looked back in defeating Fisher College, 10-0. The win improves UMPI’s record to 4-2.

A deceptive calm descended upon Park Family Field just before the Homecoming matchup on Saturday. No sooner had the contest started than the skies opened up and the Owls started scoring. Caverhill’s first goal came four minutes in.

While the downpours were intermittent thoughout the game, the Owls’ scoring was constant. Already up 2-0, UMPI scored in the 20th, 22nd, 26th, and 28th minutes, to take a 6-0 lead into halftime.

UMPI was able to spread the wealth with 9 different players scoring goals including Matt Vick‘s (So./Van Buren, ME) first college goal. Joel Massa (So./Millbury, MA) continued his hot start to the season, scoring his team-high 6th goal to start the 2nd half.

The Falcons’ (0-5) goalkeeper Steven Masterson was busy facing 29 shots and saving 19. Fisher played the game with only 7 eligible players as both teams played with less than 11 in the 2nd half.

St. Joseph’s 2, Mount Ida 1 (OT)

NEWTON, Mass. – Saint Joseph’s (2-4-1, 1-2-0 GNAC) snapped a five-game winless streak with a 2-1 overtime victory over conference-rival Mount Ida College (1-3-1, 1-2-0 GNAC) on Saturday afternoon.

Trailing 1-0 midway through the second half, the Monks ended a 228-minute scoring drought with a goal at the 63:16 mark from senior captain Teddy Palmer (Scarborough, Maine) to knot the contest at one-apiece. Palmer’s second goal of the season came on a strange play, as his shot clanged off the crossbar in the middle of the goal, but the ball deflected downward and across the goal line.

The stalemate remained until the sixth minute of overtime, when freshman midfielder Ralph Houanche (Portland, Maine) netted his second game-winner of the year on a deflected shot that trickled between the legs of Mount Ida goaltender Matt Pils (Monroe, Conn.) and into the left corner of the net.

For the second consecutive contest, St. Joe’s would experience an early deficit after allowing a goal in the first 10 minutes of play. In a loss to Albertus on Thursday it was a fifth-minute score that led to the Monks’ demise, but on this day Saint Joseph’s was able to overcome a tally toed in at the 9:33 mark by Mount Ida sophomore midfielder Dishawn Miller (Bristol, Conn.). Freshman Carlos Martinez (Chelsea, Mass.) ignited the play with a perfect through pass and Miller finished with a shot to the lower right corner.

SJC freshman netminder Scott Benner (Post Falls, Idaho) would deny three Mount Ida shots while Pils made six stops for the Mustangs in a losing effort.


Bowdoin 6, UM-Farmington 0

BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College men’s soccer team scored four first-half goals and cruised to a 6-0 non-conference win over the University of Maine-Farmington on Saturday afternoon.

The Polar Bears (2-1-0) held a decisive 43-2 advantage in shots over the Beavers (1-3-0) an got goals from five different players in the victory.

Eddie Jones got Bowdoin started just moments into the game, receiving a beautiful over-the-top pass from Andrew Jones and putting home his own rebound in the third minute. Hunter Clark doubled Bowdoin’s lead in the 25th with a hard shot from the 18 and Zach Danssaert followed a minute later by finishing off a cross from Ben Brewster. Thomas Henshall rounded out the first half onslaught by collecting a mis-played ball by a UMF defender and knocking home a breakaway tally in the final minute to give the hosts a 4-0 lead at the break.

Michael Gale scored twice in the second half, just two minutes apart, both off assists from Ben Citrin in the 61st and 63rd minute to close out the scoring.

Chris Roberts made 11 saves in the first half for Farmington before giving way to Paul Dupre, who stopped nine in the second half. Bowdoin’s Will Wise, Eric Edelman and Kyle Gurtowski all saw time in net for the Polar Bears without needing to make a save.

Amherst 2, Bates 0

LEWISTON, Maine — Federico Sucre assisted Jae Heo on the opening goal in the 53rd minute, then added an insurance tally in the 78th minute to lead the No. 3 nationally ranked Amherst College men’s soccer team to a 2-0 win at Bates College on Saturday at Russell Street Field.

Amherst (3-0-0, 1-0-0 NESCAC) outshot Bates by a 26-1 margin, including a 12-0 difference in the first half, but didn’t get on the scoreboard until Heo cleaned up the rebound of an outside shot by Sucre, which clanged off the crossbar and bounced back to Heo.

The 6-foot-5 Sucre gave Amherst a 2-0 lead at 77:45, heading in a nicely placed cross from Max Fikke from just beyond the right end of the Bates penalty area.

Thomas Bull played all 90 minutes in goal for Amherst to get the shutout, despite recording no saves.

Bates first-year Sam Polito played a strong game in goal for the Bobcats, making eight saves. Zach Shabman played the final 4:24 after an injury suffered by Polito.

Middlebury 1, Colby 0 (OT)

WATERVILLE, Maine —- The Middlebury College and Colby College men’s soccer teams made it four straight years with an overtime game, but this time the Panthers came out on top in a 1-0 NESCAC victory on Saturday.

Colby (0-2-1 overall, 0-1-1 NESCAC) won 1-0 in overtime last year at Middlebury and took a 2-1 win in an extra session at home two years ago. The two teams battled to a 1-1 tie in 2009.

Middlebury’s Alvand Hajzadeh (Williamstown, Mass.) scored just 39 seconds into overtime on a header. Rob Cole (South Burlington, Vt.), who had an assist on the play, hit a shot off the crossbar and Hajzadeh was in the right position for the header

Middlebury (2-1 overall, 1-1 NESCAC) had an 11-6 advantage in shots and both teams had three corner kicks.

Zach Abdu-Glass (Lexington, Mass.) made one save in earning the shutout, while Colby’s Cody Funkhouser (Hopewell, N.J.) also stopped one shot for the Mules.

W. Conn. 1, So. Maine 0

GORHAM, Maine – Junior Gabriel Goja (Naugatuck, Conn.) scored the only goal of the match in the 41st minute and goalkeeper Jack Holub (Sherman, Conn.) recorded four saves as the Western Connecticut State University Colonials slipped by the University of Southern Maine Huskies, 1-0, in the teams’ Little East Conference opener Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field.

The win was the first of the season for the Colonials are improved to 1-3-1 overall. The Huskies dropped their third straight match to slip to 1-5-0.

Goja took advantage of a Huskies miscue on the back line to pick up a loose ball at the top of the 18-yard box, take a touch and slip a 12-yard shot past USM senior goalkeeper Jeremy Turner (Portland, Maine/Deering). The goal was the first of the season for Goja.

Holub came up big on two occasions in the first half to keep the game scoreless. The junior keeper made outstanding saves on USM scoring bids by freshman Harrison Hall (Kennebunkport, Maine/Kennebunk) in the 11th minute and sophomore Mazen Aljari (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) in the 15th minute.

Turner kept his team within a goal with a one-handed tip over the crossbar of a long-range bid from Goja in the 68th minute. Turner finished the match with two saves.

Southern Maine had a slim 8-7 edge in shots while Western Conn. had a 6-2 margin in corner kicks.

W. New England 1, U. New England 0

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Junior Ryan Williams (Brewster, Mass.) scored the lone tally 4:53 into the match to give Western New England University a 1-0 win over the University of New England in a Commonwealth Coast Conference mutual opener played Saturday (Sep. 15) afternoon at Suprenant Field .

The victory was the second straight for the Golden Bears, who evened their record at 3-3-1. UNE saw a two-game win streak come to an end to drop to 3-3.

Williams’ team-best second goal of the season came on an assist by junior Jake Bartnik (East Longmeadow, Mass.). The Golden Bears were unable to add to their scoring output the rest of the way, despite holding a 26-5 advantage in shots.

UNE sophomore goalkeeper Aidan McParland (Brockville, Ontario) had a busy afternoon, coming up with a career-high 14 saves.

Senior tri-captain Nick Starr (Somers, Conn.) needed just one save to record the shutout for the Golden Bears, who play a non-conference match at Westfield State University on Wednesday (Sep. 19).

Field hockey

Maine 3, Pacific 2

DURHAM, N.H. — In a game dominated by the Black Bears in which they held a 20-1 edge in penalty corners and a 34-13 advantage in shots, the No. 23 University of Maine field hockey team was able to narrowly escape with a 3-2 overtime win against Pacific (3-5) on Sunday afternoon. Cassidy Svetek (Burlington, Ontario) was able to score the difference maker 14:41 into the overtime to give Maine its fourth-straight victory as the Black Bears improve to 5-4 overall.

The Tigers struck first as Jenna Vivian tallied her third goal of the season 29:48 into the contest. Hannah Bettencourt started the action as she sent a pass to Vivian at the top of the left circle. Vivian carried the ball into the middle of the circle and sent a low shot that snuck past Maine goalkeeper Sydney Kolysher (White Rock, Britsh Columbia).

Hannah Keating (York, Maine) knotted the score up a 1-1 just under five minutes later with her second goal of the season. Keating carried the ball into the Pacific circle alone and fired a shot through traffic and into the top right of the cage.

Maine grabbed its first lead of the contest at the 54:58 mark when Zoe Berkey (Duncan, British Columbia) hit the back of the cage for the first time this season. Zoe Adkins (Coquitlam, British Columbia) began the play for Maine as she inserted on the penalty corner. Berkey made the stop at the top of the circle and slid a low shot past Tiger goalkeeper Maggie Corder.

With just 38-seconds remaining in regulation, Dinah Compton tied the game once again. Kolysher was able to make the initial save in the action on Emily Trudeau’s shot but the rebound kicked out to Compton who took advantage and scored her first goal of the season, sending the game into overtime.

Svetek ended things 14:41 into the extra time period as she tallied her fourth goal in two days to win it for the Black Bears. Berkey assisted on the play as the sophomore began things by sliding a pass from the top of the circle down to Svetek. Svetek, set-up in the middle of the circle, was able to take advantage of the open cage, recording her fifth goal of the season to give Maine a 3-2 victory.

Kolysher picks up her first win of the year as she moves to 1-3 overall after making six saves in the cage for the Black Bears. Corder falls to 3-1 for Pacific after making 17 saves in the loss.

St. Joseph’s 1, Simmons 0

STANDISH – Freshman forward Amanda Celata (Dedham, Mass.) broke a scoreless stalemate with 15 seconds remaining in regulation to lift Saint Joseph’s (4-2, 2-0 NAC) past Simmons College (1-5, 0-1 NAC) in a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) field hockey contest at Mercy Field on Sunday afternoon.

With extra play seeming imminent and the Sharks attempting to clear out of their defensive end, junior captain Theresa Hendrix (Scarborough, Maine/Cheverus) pick-pocketed a Simmons defender in the right corner and quickly fed freshman Allyson Allard (Parsonsfield, Maine), who served a crossing pass to Celata at the goalmouth. Celata finished the play with a one-timer shot to the bottom right corner of the cage for her third goal of the year and second game-winner in the last week.

Celata’s goal was the first to go up on the Monks’ brand new scoreboard, which was installed just a few days ago on the southwest end of Mercy Field.

Both teams had opportunities to net the game’s first goal earlier in the contest and the Sharks registered three such chances over an eight-minute span early in the second stanza. In the 46th minute, following a penalty corner taken by freshman Amy Cronin (Georgetown, Mass.), sophomore midfielder Meghan Fay (Foxboro, Mass.) took a shot that clanged off the left post. Less than 30 seconds later, Fay had a prime opportunity to score again but was denied by SJC freshman defender Kayla Royer (Greene, Maine), who blocked Fay’s shot to record the first defensive save of her career.

Freshman Brenna Fitzgibbon (Exeter, N.H.) would duplicate Royer’s effort about eight minutes later when she stopped a Cronin shot from crossing the goal line at the 53:49 mark for her first career defensive save.

Senior keeper Taylor Allison (Pawtucket, R.I.) notched her third shutout of the year after making one stop for the hosts while Simmons netminder Renna Smith (Belfast, Maine) played very well with eight saves in a losing effort.

Overall, Saint Joseph’s held sizeable advantages in both shots (13-4) and corners (16-6) in the conference victory.

Colby 2, UM-Farmington 1

WATERVILLE, Maine —- Megan Fortier (Falmouth, Maine) scored 9:32 into the second half to break a 1-1 tie and lead the Colby College field hockey team to a 2-1 non-conference win over University of Maine at Farmington on Sunday at Bill Alfond Field.

The Mules, who had a 28-2 shot advantage, move to 1-2 overall. Maine-Farmington falls to 1-3 on the season.

All three goals came off penalty corners, with Colby’s Caitlin Murray (Chatham, N.J.) getting the first one off assists from Kellie Walsh (Andover, Mass.) and Lucy Gerrity (Cumberland, Maine). Gerrity struck the corner, Walsh did the stop, and Murray ripped a hard shot to the right corner just 5:49 into play.

Chelsea Morley (York, Maine) answered back for UMF about seven minutes later on a corner. Morley ripped a shot from the right side off assists from Emma Daniel (Acton, Mass.) and Lily Barry (Hermon, Maine).

Natalie Fischer (Freeland, Md.) picked up the assist on Colby’s game-winning goal. Her blast was deflected by Fortier, who scored her second goal of the young season.

Michelle Burt (Woodbridge, Conn.) played the first half and first-year Sarah Evans (Cohasset, Mass.) played the second half in combining for no saves. UMF keeper Curran Brierley (East Hampton, N.Y.) stopped 11 shots.

Trinity 2, Bates 0

LEWISTON, Maine — No. 17 nationally ranked Trinity College controlled play with a 26-9 advantage in shots attempted en route to a 2-0 NESCAC victory over host Bates College on Sunday at Campus Avenue Field.

Trinity (3-0, 3-0 NESCAC) attempted the first six shots of the game and 11 of the 12 taken in the first half. Tough defense and some excellent, aggressive goalkeeping by Becca Otley held the Bantams scoreless until the 23rd minute, when the Bantams converted a penalty corner play, with Haley Thompson shoveling a nice pass across the top of the circle to Sarah Duncan for a hard shot past Otley. The final 12 minutes of the period included just one shot for either team, with Otley stopping Trinity’s Shannon Ryan from increasing the lead, and the Bantams took a 1-0 lead into halftime.

Bates bounced back with a much better effort in the second half, with eight shot attempts to Trinity’s 15 and a 5-4 edge in penalty corners in the period. But Trinity’s lead wasn’t threatened before Hadley Duncan jammed in a close-range shot in a scramble near the Bates goal.

U. New England 7, W. New England 1

BIDDEFORD, Maine — University of New England junior Casey Clark (Bethlehem, N.H.) scored three second-half goals and assisted on two others, as the Nor’easters overcame a 1-0 halftime deficit on their way to a 7-1 victory over Western New England University in a mutual Commonwealth Coast Conference opener Saturday afternoon at the Big Blue Turf.

The victory gets the Nor’easters over the .500 mark at 3-2 thus far, while the Golden Bears drop below .500 at 2-3. UNE is now undefeated in seven meetings all-time between the two squads.

Despite controlling play for the majority of the first half, UNE saw itself down 1-0 at intermission after Western New England senior Caitlin Foster (Hyde Park, N.Y.) scored with under two minutes remaining in the stanza. First-year Tori Cirocco (Carmel, N.Y.) was credited with an assist on the play.

The Nor’easters came out strong in the second half, reeling off seven unanswered markers over the opening 20 minutes. Junior Hayley LaPointe (Topsham, Maine) tied the score for UNE at 41:28, then Clark notched the game-winner less than three minutes later.

Clark and junior Brittany Liptak (Westfield, Mass.) added two goals apiece over the ensuing six minutes to give the Nor’easters a commanding 6-1 cushion with 16:24 remaining. Sophomore Kayla Lambert (Bedford, N.H.) would conclude the scoring less than two minutes later with her first collegiate goal.

Clark’s eight-point afternoon moved her into sixth place on UNE’s total point list, giving her 60 to pass the career mark of Nicole Mace ’08 (56).

Bridgewater St. 8, So. Maine 3

GORHAM, Maine – Senior Beth Phillips (Worcester, Mass./Saint Peter Marian) scored three goals to lead a powerful Bridgewater State University Bears offense to an 8-3 romp over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in a Little East Conference field hockey game Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field in Gorham, Maine.

The win is the fifth straight for the Bears who remain undefeated at 5-0 while improving their conference record to 2-0. The loss stops a two-game win streak for Southern Maine and cuts its record to 4-2 and 1-1 in the Little East.

Phillips scored two of her goals in the first half as the Bears jumped on top of the Huskies early and cruised to a 4-1 halftime lead. Phillips scored her first goal of the game just two minutes after the starting whistle on an assist from junior Demi Miskiv (Centerville, Mass./Barnstable). Miskiv finished the game with a pair of goals and an assist.

Trailing the Bears 5-1 in the 43rd minute after a goal from BSU senior Shelby Farland (Fiskdale, Mass./Tantasqua Regional), the Huskies fought their way back into the game. USM sophomore Peyton Dostie (Standish, Maine/Bonny Eagle) scored her team leading sixth goal of the game in the 44th minute, while freshman Kelsey Morin (Buxton, Maine/Bonny Eagle) scored her first collegiate goal in the 57th minute for a 5-3 Bears’ lead.

Dostie nearly brought the Huskies to within a goal on a near miss to the far post minutes later, but Miskiv notched an unassisted strike in the 66th minute to give the Bears a two-goal cushion. Frehsman Kelsey Kiely (Mansfield, Mass.) and Phillips each scored a goal in the final two minutes of action for the 8-3 win.

Bridgewater State senior goalkeeper Cassie Johansen (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y./Comsewogue) made five saves in the win. USM sophomore Lindsey Fortin (Berwick, Maine/Noble) took the loss allowing two goals and making three saves in 19:31 of action. Junior Kayla Kennedy (Windham, Maine) allowed three goals in 27:37 with four saves, while freshman Casey White(Brewer, Maine) made five saves and allowed three goals in the final 22:52 of the game.

UMaine-Farmington 5, Rivier 0

FARMINGTON, Maine – Freshman forward Mara Balboni (Oakland, Maine/Messalonskee) scored her first collegiate goals while three other Beavers added single markers to lead the University of Maine at Farmington to a 5-0 North Atlantic Conference field hockey win over Rivier University, Saturday afternoon at Prescott Field.

Balboni got UMaine-Farmington (1-2) on the board with the game winner at the 11:21 mark of the first half, tipping in a pass from Chelsea Morley (York, Maine/York). Kaitlyn Bullen (New Sharon, Maine/Mt. Blue) logged her first goal of the season with 6:26 showing on the first half clock when she finished a cross from Kashley Weymouth (Pittston, Maine/Gardiner Area).

Weymouth added UMF’s final goal of the first half with 1:15 remaining, picking a pass from Annie Agnew (Guilford, Maine/Piscataquis Community) out of traffic in front of the Rivier goal and finding the back of the Raiders’ cage.

Senior Lily Barry (Hermon, Maine/Hermon) brought her team-high scoring total up to four goals, beating Rivier goalie Colleen Albert just 1:40 into the second half. Morley was credited with an assist on the score. Balboni closed out the scoring with just 5:11 left in the game, weaving around a pair of Rivier defenders for an unassisted goal.

UMaine-Farmington outshot Rivier (1-5) by a 35-1 margin, with Albert and Rivier backup goalie Makenzie Flagg combining for 15 saves for the Raiders. Christina Demmons was credited with a defensive save.

UMF’s Curran Brierley (East Hampton, N.Y./East Hampton) got the start in the cage for the Beavers, and played the entire first half. Felisha Taylor (Chelsea, Maine/Cony) worked all 35 minutes of the second half. Neither UMF goalie was forced to make a save, however junior defender Renee DesPres (Skowhegan, Maine/Skowhegan) made a sensational save on a shot by Rivier’s Ashley Ruocco with just over a minute left in the game to preserve the Beavers’ shutout win.

Maine 6, Holy Cross 0

WORCESTER, Mass. — Cassidy Svetek (Burlington, Ontario) tallied a hat-trick and the Black Bears would add three more goals as the University of Maine Field Hockey team downed Holy Cross by a score of 6-0 on Saturday afternoon. Annabelle Hamilton (North Vancouver, British Columbia), Zoe Adkins (Coquitlam, British Columbia) and Hannah Keating (York, Maine) each added goals for Maine who moves to 4-4 on the season with its third-straight victory.

Hamilton started the scoring for the Black Bears as she tallied her fourth goal of the season, and her third in as many games, to give Maine the early 1-0 advantage. The sophomore midfielder was able to find the back of the cage 8:35 into the contest when she controlled a rebound off an original penalty corner shot and deposited the ball into the cage.

Svetek would tally the next three goals for the Black Bears to build the Maine lead to 4-0 at the half. The freshman’s first goal of the day would come off a rebound from about five yards out. Svetek was in perfect position on her next two goals as each would also come off rebounds.

Maine would waste no time getting back on the attack as Adkins recorded her third goal of the season just 2:45 into the second half. The captain battled in front of the cage and was able to take control of a loose ball and flick a shot past the Holy Cross keeper for Maine’s fifth goal of the afternoon.

Keating and Abbey Gutowski (Conway, N.H.) hooked up for Maine’s sixth and final goal of the afternoon. Gutowski would control the ball in the Crusader zone and was able to find Keating who fired a shot from seven yards out which beat Holy Cross goalkeeper Kelly Sotsky. The Black Bears would hold on the rest of the way for the 6-0 victory and their frist shutout of the year.

Maine goalkeeper Alicia Frisch (Calgary, Alberta) improves to 4-1 on the season after making four saves in the cage for Maine.

Amherst 3, Bates 2

LEWISTON, Maine — The eleventh-ranked Amherst College field hockey team overcame first-half deficits of 1-0 and 2-1 for a comeback 3-2 NESCAC victory over Bates College on Saturday at Campus Avenue Field.

The visiting Lord Jeffs (3-0, 1-0 NESCAC) peppered Bates’ goal with 45 shots, compared to six for the host Bobcats (1-2, 0-2 NESCAC), but junior goalkeeper Becca Otley’s 21 saves kept Bates in strong contention for an upset win.

tied the game at 2-2 in the 40th minute with an unassisted goal by Ellie Andersen, and Madeline Tanks notched the go-ahead goal with 8:51 left in regulation, giving Amherst its first lead of the game and the eventual victory.

Bates junior Bridget Meedzan knocked in her first goal of the season on Bates’ first shot attempt of the game, 5:48 into the first half, one-timing a kickout pass from Polly Merck from the top of the circle.

Amherst’s Krista Zsitvay evened the game in the 12th minute. Katie McMahon found Zsitvay open near the top of the circle with space to touch the ball twice before lining a shot that ripped past Otley. But less than three minutes later, Meedzan struck again on Bates’ second shot of the game. With 20:49 left in the half, Meedzan received a kickout pass from Laura Baran at the top of the circle, and smacked it past Amherst goalkeeper Rachel Tannenbaum for a 2-1 Bates lead.

Andersen tied the game at 2-2 in the early going of the second half, taking advantage of a momentarily passive Bates defense by advancing deep into the circle before scoring.

Tank scored the eventual game-winner by banging in the rebound of a save made by Otley on one of Zsitvay’s 11 shots in the game.

Bates’ Alie Philip and Danielle Pierce both came up with defensive saves in addition to Otley’s stellar effort.

Tannenbaum made two saves in net for Amherst.

Middlebury 4, Colby 0

WATERVILLE, Maine —- Catherine Fowler (Grosse Pointe, Mich.) and Lauren Greer (North Hampton, N.H.) both had one goal and one assist for the second-ranked Middlebury College field hockey team in a 4-0 win over Colby College in NESCAC play Saturday at Bill Alfond Field.

The Panthers improved to 3-0 overall and 2-0 in conference play, while the Mules fall to 0-2 overall and 0-2 in the league.

While Middlebury dominated possession time, Colby was able to keep the game scoreless for nearly 25 minutes. Fowler scored the game-winning goal at 24:57 of the first half when she picked off a Colby clearing pass and ripped a shot into the cage.

The Panthers, who had a 36-3 shot advantage and a 17-1 margin in penalty corners, made it 2-0 at halftime when Alyssa Dimaio (Morristown, N.J.) tallied at 27:41. Dimaio knocked in a shot after Greer managed to slip a pass to her after a big scramble in front of the cage on a play that started off a penalty corner.

Fowler picked up her assist when her cross from the left side was tipped in by Madeleine Despins (Larchmont, N.Y.) just 6:13 into the second half. The Panthers made it 4-0 when Greer was pushed down from behind and was awarded a penalty stroke about six minutes later. She calmly lifted the ball into the upper right corner for the goal.

Colby goaltender Michelle Burt (Woodbridge, Conn.) had a solid day in net with 16 stops. Colby’s defense also blocked a number of shots in the contest.

Middlebury keeper Madelline Brooks (Clayton, Mo.) did not have to make a save in earning the shutout.

Bowdoin 2, Wellesley 0

BRUNSWICK, Maine – Seniors Cathleen Smith and Brooke Phinney each scored to lift the Bowdoin College field hockey team to a 2-0 win over Wellesley on Saturday afternoon.

The fifth-ranked Polar Bears (3-0) dealt the Blue (4-1) its first loss of the season by not allowing a scoring chance in the contest. Bowdoin held a 30-0 advantage in shots and 16-0 edge in corners.

Bowdoin maintained steady pressure throughout the first half, earning six straight penalty corners. The Polar Bears finally broke through on the sixth attempt as Katie Riley inserted a ball that Lauren Schroeder quickly snapped on net. Wellesley goalie Brit Mscisz turned aside the attempt, kicking the rebound to the center of the circle. Brooke Phinney pounced on the loose ball and drilled a hard shot into the back of the net to put Bowdoin on the board at 23:55. Steady battles for possession in the midfield characterized the rest of the half, with Wellesley just breaking into the Bowdoin defensive end in the remaining minute before halftime.

The Polar Bears wasted little time increasing their lead in the second half. Less than three minutes into the period, Cathleen Smith redirected a Phinney shot to give the hosts a 2-0 lead. Mscisz made several key saves throughout the rest of the game to keep the score close, but the Bowdoin defense proved difficult to crack, as the Wellesley offense would not tally a shot.

Mscisz finished with 16 saves in net for the Blue. Kayla Lessard was not tested in the Bowdoin cage.

Saturday’s contest included the return of a pair of former Polar Bears to the Ryan Field sideline. Wellesley head coach Julia King (Bowdoin ’09) and assistant coach Emileigh Mercer (Bowdoin ’09) were members of the Polar Bears’ back-to-back NCAA Championship squads in 2007 and ’08.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like