Anthony “Tony” Bowers is the 2012 Anah Shrine Potentate. Born in Island Falls in 1958, he graduated from Katahdin High School in 1977 and attended the University of Maine at Farmington from 1977 to 1979.
After moving to Long Beach, Calif., Tony received a degree in mortuary science from Cyprus College in 1983. He returned to Maine that year and, in 1985, became the fourth generation of his family to operate Bowers Funeral Homes.
A past president of the Maine Funeral Directors Association, Tony has served on the Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Team; his work with that team has included the Egypt Air Flight 990 disaster and the September 2001 World Trade Center disaster. For 17 days in 2006 he worked in Biloxi, Miss. to help identify victims of Hurricane Katrina.
A member of Molunkus Lodge No. 165 in Sherman and the York and Scottish Rite Bodies, Tony also belongs to Monument Lodge No. 96 in Houlton. He joined Anah Shriners in June 1986.
Tony and his wife, Carmel, live in Sherman Mills and have four children.
The Northeast Shrine Association 2012 officers are:
• President: Noble Anthony “Tony” Bowers, Anah Shrine;
• First Vice-President: Noble Richard Brousseau, Karnak Shrine;
• Past President 2011: Noble John E. Grant Jr., Aleppo Shrine;
• Secretary-Treasurer: Guild “Bushie” Hill, PP, Bektash Shrine;
• Assistant Secretary-Treasurer: Thomas Brison, PP. Bektash Shrine.