2nd suspect in Greenbush home invasion, assault arrested, makes first court appearance

By Andrew Neff, BDN Staff
Posted Sept. 07, 2012, at 9:54 a.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A 21-year-old Grindstone man has been arrested and charged as a second suspect in a home invasion in Greenbush earlier this week.

After being arrested by officers from the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office around 8 p.m. Thursday, Ryan Petrin, 21, appeared before District Court Judge Valerie Stanfill at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor on Friday afternoon.

Petrin, who was not required to enter pleas and did not do so Friday, is being charged with Class A robbery, which carries a maximum penalty of 30 years’ imprisonment and a maximum fine of $50,000, and Class B assault with a dangerous weapon, which carries a mandatory one-year prison term and a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison plus fines.

Petrin and Medway resident Nicholas Hutchinson, 23, allegedly broke into a woman’s home and assaulted her and one of her two children early Monday morning.

The victim, Marcia Fieger, was present at Friday’s hearing to urge Stanfill not to set bail for Petrin, an unemployed student at Katahdin Region Higher Educational Center.

“They never came to my front door or knocked on a door. They came through my son’s bedroom window with masks on their face … at 1 o’clock in the morning,” Fieger told Stanfill. “At this point, my 5-year-old son is scared because he knows Mr. Hutchinson, but he’s more scared because this gentleman [Petrin] threatened to snap his neck.

“So to have his bail low enough that he could walk the streets and we could run into him at the grocery store … isn’t fair. I don’t think lenience on bail is fair because they weren’t lenient when they beat me.”

Tracy Collins Lacher, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County, requested $1,000 cash bail and conditions including no contact with the victim or her family; no use of drugs, alcohol or dangerous weapons; a curfew restricting him to his home between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m.; and an order to stay out of Greenbush.

Lacher said that during the home invasion Petrin helped steal a black box that contained 20 doses of liquid methadone.

Defense attorney Dennis Hamrick said Petrin allegedly went to the home looking for money — not drugs — that was owed Hutchinson and that barring him from Greenbush was inappropriate because Petrin’s girlfriend lives in Greenbush.

“And she states herself that Mr. Petrin was wearing a mask, so I don’t understand how her 5-year-old son could be afraid of him having never actually seen him,” said Hamrick. “And my understanding is that at the time Miss Fieger had no idea who the other person was with Nicholas Hutchinson.”

Hamrick pointed out that the Lincoln-born Petrin has just two infractions in his history: a juvenile burglary in 2006 and a conviction for unlawful possession of scheduled drugs earlier this year that resulted in an undisclosed fine.

Stanfill said that given the seriousness of the charges, the state’s request for $1,000 cash bail was more than reasonable and also reflected the mitigating factors Hamrick raised.

Stanfill appointed Joe Belisle as Petrin’s defense attorney and also set a court date for 8:30 a.m. Nov. 6.

Petrin’s father was also present in court Friday to let his son know that he would post bail for him. Petrin’s family lives in Medway.

Petrin was released on bail from the Penobscot County Jail just before 6 p.m. Friday, a jail official said.

Hutchinson appeared in court earlier this week and remains imprisoned.

“Further charges will be decided by the district attorney’s office and the case will be presented to the grand jury at a later date,” said Detective Bill Flagg of the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office.

BDN writers Ryan McLaughlin and Alex Barber contributed to this report.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/09/07/news/penobscot/second-suspect-arrested-in-greenbush-home-invasion/ printed on October 1, 2014