May 28, 2018
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | George HW Bush | Memorial Day | Long Creek

Rumford fire leaves family homeless, dog dead

By Terry Karkos, Sun Journal

RUMFORD, Maine — Fire left a Pine Street family of five homeless Wednesday afternoon, a fire official said.

The two-story, wooden home at 236 Pine St. sustained heavy fire damage in the living room area, and heat and smoke damage, Deputy Chief Richard Coulombe said.

Firefighters from Rumford and Mexico, and Med-Care Ambulance were called to the fire at 4:10 p.m. after smoke was seen coming from behind the house.

The insured house, which is owned by Sharon Burgess of Mexico, was being rented by Josh and Megan McLean and their three children, Coulombe said. The family wasn’t home at the time of the fire, but had left a lamp on in the living room for their dog, which died in the fire, he said.

Coulombe said department investigators believe the dog knocked over the lamp, which landed on the Styrofoam side of the couch, heating it up and causing it to catch fire.

“There was a lot of fire in the living room area, where it originated,” Coulombe said.

He said the Red Cross had been contacted to provide help for the McLeans, who will be staying with family in the area.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like