May 26, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Bangor Day Trips | Center for Wildlife

Lee man charged with escape from Portland halfway house

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

PORTLAND, Maine — A Lee man serving a more than four-year sentence in federal prison on a conviction for having a sawed-off shotgun pleaded not guilty Tuesday in U.S. District Court to an escape charge.

Hazen D. Shaw, 43, allegedly left the Pharos House Community Correction Center in Portland without permission on June 30. Pharos House is a federal pre-release center for inmates within six months of their release, according to the U.S. attorney’s office.

Shaw was arrested by U.S. marshals on July 5 north of Bangor, according to the U.S. attorney’s office. Details about his arrest were not available Tuesday.

Shaw, who was sentenced on Dec. 6, 2009, in federal court in Bangor, is scheduled to be released in January after serving four years and four months in federal prison. A bail hearing on the escape charge will be scheduled before his release date, according to court documents.

The federal shotgun charge and state charges of eluding an officer, passing a roadblock, reckless conduct, theft by deception, theft by unauthorized taking and forgery filed in Penobscot County stemmed from the same incident on Nov. 30, 2008, when Shaw was arrested after he reportedly shot off a gun while visiting a relative in Springfield, then tried to run from police.

Neighbors of the relative on Old Winn Road called police after hearing the gunshot, Maine State Police said shortly after the incident. When law enforcement officers arrived, Shaw drove away, according to a previous Bangor Daily News report.

Shaw was pursued by a Maine state trooper until he reached a roadblock set up by the Maine Warden Service at the intersection with Town Line Road, according to police. Shaw drove into a ditch trying to evade the roadblock. As police surrounded Shaw’s vehicle, he allegedly continued to try to escape and in the process hit two vehicles blocking his car.

The sawed-off shotgun, which led to the federal charge, was found in his car.

The state charges of forgery and theft stemmed from the way Shaw bought the car he was driving at the time of his arrest, according to documents filed in state court. He bought the car from an elderly couple using a forged check he had stolen from his mother.

Shaw pleaded guilty to the state charges after he was sentenced in 2009 in federal court. He was sentenced to 18 months in state prison, with that sentence be served concurrently with his federal sentence.

If convicted of the escape charge, Shaw faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like