May 26, 2018
Penobscot Latest News | Poll Questions | Farm Bill | Memorial Day | Pigs Buried

Medway man charged in brutal attack on Greenbush woman remains jailed

Kevin Bennett | BDN
Kevin Bennett | BDN
Nicholas Hutchinson stands with attorney Sean Ociepka at Penobscot County Jail on Tuesday, September 4, 2012, during his initial video appearance in connection with a home invasion on the East Ridge Road in Greenbush on Sept. 3.
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Medway man remained Tuesday night at the Penobscot County Jail unable to make $50,000 cash bail set by a judge earlier in the day in connection with a brutal attack on a Greenbush woman in her home early Monday morning.

Nicholas Hutchinson, 23, made his first court appearance Tuesday at the Penobscot Judicial Center on charges of robbery and elevated aggravated assault, both Class A crimes.

He reportedly knew the victim.

Hutchinson and another man demanded money and methadone from the 30-year-old victim, who was home with her two children, ages 5 and 3, according to court documents.

Investigators with the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office continued Tuesday to look for a second man allegedly involved in the break-in at a trailer on East Ridge Road at 1 a.m. Monday. The other suspect’s name has not been released.

The victim, Marcia Fieger, spoke to reporters after Hutchinson’s court appearance. She said that two men wearing masks broke in through a window in her son’s room.

Fieger told police that she was sprayed with Mace and hit with a Taser. She also was beaten with a tire iron and a fire extinguisher, according to court documents.

On Tuesday, she told reporters she had bruises all over her body from the attack and 16 stitches in her head and face.

“They did not just damage me physically; my children have been damaged [psychologically],” Fieger said. “They knew Nicholas [Hutchinson] and they are so scared. The only thing that has made them feel safe is that he is in jail at this time.”

Penobscot County sheriff’s deputies were called to Fieger’s home shortly before 1 a.m. on Labor Day by neighbors who saw the victim outside of her trailer trying to get away from Hutchinson and the other man, according to court documents.

Fieger told investigators that she recognized Hutchinson’s voice and in the struggle with him was able to pull off his mask and see his face. The two men fled on foot after she got the Taser away from Hutchinson and began hitting him in the face.

Fieger had nearly $6,000 in cash in her purse inside the trailer. It was a student loan payment she had recently cashed, according to court documents. Fieger told detectives that when Hutchinson found out she had received the loan, he demanded more money than the $350 she had paid him recently for a bike.

Sheriff’s deputies located Hutchinson hiding in a closet in the master bedroom of a trailer on Main Road in Greenbush about 6 a.m. Monday.

Investigators with the Criminal Investigation Division of the sheriff’s office have asked that anyone with information about the incident call Detective Bill Flagg at 945-4585.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like