Fire in USM dorm was arson, officials say

Posted Sept. 03, 2012, at 10:12 a.m.

GORHAM, Maine — Officials say an early morning fire in a dormitory at the University of Southern Maine Gorham was deliberately set.

The fire in a recycling closet in Upton-Hastings Hall was reported at 2:37 a.m. Monday when a sprinkler system went off inside the closet.

Staff evacuated 200 students from the hall.

WMTW-TV reports the students were allowed back into the dorm at 5 a.m.

Story continues below advertisement.

College spokesman Bob Caswell says there was no fire or smoke damage outside the closet and all rooms are inhabitable.

Recommend this article


Similar Articles

More in Portland