PORTLAND, Maine — Two Portland Fire Department recruits were hospitalized last week during a training exercise, according to Acting Fire Chief Stephen Smith.
The recruits, who Smith did not identify in a written statement to the Bangor Daily News, were hospitalized after completing about 2.5 miles of a 3.5-mile run, which they were doing along with 15 other recruits as part of a 12-week training regimen for new firefighters.
“My first and foremost concern was for the health and safety of these recruits,” said Smith in the statement. “I am glad to tell you that they were treated and released from the hospital on the same day as the incident and are back participating in the training program.”
Smith, who declined to provide details about the recruits’ ailments because of laws involving the disclosure of personnel and medical information, said he discussed the issue with Portland City Manager Mark Rees on Monday morning.
“It was agreed that in conjunction with the human resources department, a review will take place of the incident to determine the facts and make sure that standard procedures were followed during the physical training exercise,” said Smith. “No further information is available at this time for members of the public or the media.”