June 22, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Drunken Sea Dogs fan arrested after making scene at Hadlock Field, police say

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

PORTLAND, Maine — A local man struck out with police Sunday afternoon after causing drunken disturbances at a Sea Dogs game.

Christopher Chappell, 34, had been warned twice by police not to return to the stadium, according to Lt. Scott Pelletier, but Chappell earned his third strike and a trip to jail when he tried to come back to the ballpark a third time.

The trouble started around 3 p.m. when Portland police Officer Thomas Kwok, who was working at the ballpark during the game between the Sea Dogs and Binghamton Mets, was informed by Hadlock security that a man later identified as Chappell was acting disorderly in the concourse, Pelletier said.

“He was very intoxicated, stumbling as he attempted to walk away, talking with a slur,” said Pelletier.

Chappell, who was at the game with his girlfriend, had been yelling obscenities in the stands, the lieutenant said. There were numerous children around at the time.

When security attempted to eject Chappell from the stadium, he kept refusing to cooperate.

“Chappell was argumentative with staff and the officer about his state of intoxication,” explained Pelletier. “He said that he wasn’t intoxicated.”

Chappell finally agreed to leave and was asked not to return, Pelletier said. He subsequently went into a stadium parking lot and was asked to leave a second time.

“He had to at least go across the street,” Pelletier said.

Chappell was given a disorderly conduct warning and did leave the stadium premises, but just after 4 p.m., Kwok was informed by Sea Dogs security that Chappell was wandering around in a players’ parking lot, and police had had enough.

“As Officer Kwok went to put the handcuffs on, he tensed up,” said Pelletier.

Chappell resisted by pulling his arm away from the officer, swinging at him but not hitting him, Pelletier said. Chappell tried to escape by shoving through security officers, but Kwok and Hadlock security were able to get Chappell to the ground.

Even then, Chappell continued resisting, and Kwok eventually pepper-sprayed him and got him into custody.

Chappell was booked into the Cumberland County Jail on charges of criminal trespass and refusing to submit to arrest, both Class D misdemeanors. He remained there Monday.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like