Boston’s Middlebrooks does not need surgery

The Associated Press
Posted Aug. 12, 2012, at 9:51 p.m.

CLEVELAND — After hearing a bone in his right wrist snap, Red Sox rookie Will Middlebrooks gladly listened to a bit of better news.

Boston’s third baseman does not need surgery.

“We’ll see how it goes for a few weeks,” Middlebrooks said Sunday. “They (doctors) said it should heal just fine without surgery.”

Middlebrooks said he is “not sure” if he will be able to return this season, however.

Middlebrooks hit .288 with 15 homers and 54 RBIs in 75 games.

“I almost felt the crunch, though I don’t know if was just the Velcro on my batting glove,” Middlebrooks said of getting hit by a pitch from Indians reliever Esmil Rogers in the ninth inning Friday night.

“I felt it and heard it. … I think that’s what it was.”

The 23-year-old Middlebrooks said he was in a lot of pain and knew he was in trouble the instant he got drilled by a wayward fastball.

“I’ve been hit in the wrist before, but never had it broken,” he said. “But here we are, trying to win games, get to the playoffs and I can’t help.”

Dolphins’ Chad Johnson out of jail on $2,500 bond

DAVIE, Fla. — Dolphins receiver Chad Johnson was released from jail Sunday on $2,500 bond, a day after his wife accused him of head-butting her during an argument in front of their Florida home.

Johnson, 34, had been charged with domestic violence. Broward County jail officials said he was released Sunday afternoon.

Johnson’s defense attorney, Adam Swickle, said a no-contact order has been issued that prevents Johnson from contacting his wife, Evelyn Lozada, who is on the reality TV show “Basketball Wives.”

Such orders are common in domestic violence cases.

Swickle declined to comment further.

Police say Johnson was arrested Saturday. Davie police Capt. Dale Engle said the argument started when Lozada confronted Johnson about a receipt she had found for a box of condoms.

Sabathia insists he’ll pitch when DL stint over

TORONTO — CC Sabathia knew something was wrong when he woke up Aug. 4, one day after beating Seattle at Yankee Stadium, and couldn’t bend his swollen left elbow enough to put his hand on his shoulder.

“I didn’t really have any range of motion, so I was a little nervous,” Sabathia said Sunday, one day after landing on the 15-day disabled list. “Never having any arm injuries or anything like that, I didn’t know what to do.”

Sabathia’s wife did know, even if it wasn’t her husband’s preferred choice.

“I wasn’t going to say anything, but my wife was going to call (head athletic trainer Steve Donohue) herself if I didn’t say something,” Sabathia said. “She made me go in there and tell him.”

Not long after, Sabathia was undergoing an MRI exam then anxiously awaiting the results.

Fortunately for Sabathia and the Yankees, there was no structural damage, just inflammation. But when the pain returned during and after Sabathia’s start at Detroit on Aug. 8, and again after he threw on the sideline Friday, the Yankees decided he needed time to recover. Despite Sabathia’s insistence that he could keep pitching through the pain, they put him on the DL and recalled right-hander Ryota Igarishi from Triple-A.

The 2007 AL Cy Young Award winner, Sabathia is 12-3 with a 3.56 ERA in 20 starts this season.

Urlacher says he will play in season opener

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. — Injured Chicago Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher expects to be ready for the regular-season opener against the Indianapolis Colts.

Urlacher has left knee pain and has not practiced since July 31. He had not talked about his injury situation until Sunday.

“September 9 I’ll be ready to play,” he said. “I’m pretty sure. That’s really all that matters to me.

Urlacher sprained his medial collateral ligament and partially sprained the posterior cruciate ligament in the Bears’ regular-season finale against Minnesota. There was no need for surgery, and he rehabbed the injury throughout the team’s offseason workouts before returning to practice at the start of training camp.

Padres sign Kotsay to 1-year contract

PITTSBURGH — The San Diego Padres have signed first baseman/outfielder Mark Kotsay to a one-year contract that keeps him with the team through 2013.

Kotsay was eligible for free agency at the end of the season. The 36-year-old went into Sunday’s game against the Pittsburgh Pirates hitting .275 with one home run and nine RBIs in 55 games.

Kotsay has made 15 starts in left field, five in right field and two at first base.

San Diego general manager Josh Byrnes says Kotsay provides versatility, a very good late-game at-bat and “invaluable leadership.”

Kotsay is in his 16th season and has also played with the Florida Marlins, Oakland, Atlanta, Boston, the Chicago White Sox and Milwaukee. He is a .278 lifetime hitter with 125 homers.

Konerko to undergo concussion exam, Youkilis out

CHICAGO — Chicago White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko could resume baseball activities as early as Tuesday.

The team made the announced on Sunday.

Konerko sustained a mild concussion on Aug. 7. He will undergo a thorough concussion-related exam at Rush University Medical Center on Monday. He can be activated from the 7-day disabled list as early as Friday at Kansas City if all goes well.

The 36-year-old is hitting .316 with 18 homers and 54 RBIs on the season.

Third baseman Kevin Youkilis was also out of the lineup for the first-place White Sox on Sunday after being hit on the left arm by a pitch on Saturday. Manager Robin Ventura said Youkilis’ arm is swollen and he is considered day-to-day.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/08/12/sports/bostons-middlebrooks-does-not-need-surgery/ printed on August 22, 2014