Man wanted in connection with spate of Bangor burglaries arrested in Florida

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Posted Aug. 02, 2012, at 2:24 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — The man responsible for numerous burglaries in downtown Bangor has been arrested in Florida, according to police.

Jonathan Matute, 18, of Bangor was taken into custody on Wednesday evening in Broward County, Fla., Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said in a statement.

Matute had been identified as a person of interest in the burglaries last week, according to Edwards.

On Wednesday, Broward County Deputy Detective Michael Baldwin informed Bangor police Detective David Bushey that Matute had been arrested in Florida after a Sears store contacted police about a theft of tools, the sergeant said.

When officers arrived at the store, Matute assaulted a security officer before being taken into custody, Edwards said.

A four-door Buick Century reported stolen from the University of Maine on July 26 also was recovered, Edwards said.

Matute is facing charges of battery and grand theft auto in Florida, along with one count of burglary in Maine, although Edwards said more charges are expected. Matute is expected to be extradited to Maine soon.

Edwards said that tips from the public were “extremely helpful” in the apprehension of Matute.

The downtown burglaries were reported on July 21 at the Coe Building on Main Street and on July 23 at a Harlow Street office building, with cash, cameras, computer equipment and other electronics among the items stolen.

Matute’s criminal history includes a disorderly conduct conviction in February, and a $300 fine for assault in June.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/08/02/news/bangor/man-wanted-in-connection-with-spate-of-bangor-burglaries-arrested-in-florida/ printed on December 26, 2014