Father sues grandmother of Rockland boy whose hand was severed in freak accident

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff
Posted July 26, 2012, at 7:04 p.m.

ROCKLAND, Maine — The father of a 5-year-old Rockland boy whose hand was severed in a freak accident last month has sued the child’s grandmother over the incident.

A lawsuit was filed July 18 in Knox County Superior Court by Anthony Pignone of Dennis, Mass., against Sharon Setz of Rockland.

Setz was the driver of a car on June 26 in downtown Rockland in which her 5-year-old grandson Noah Keene was a passenger. The boy had tied a jump-rope around one of his wrists and dangled the other end out the window. The rope got caught on the wheel of the vehicle and severed his hand.

Rockland police initially had said the rope had become caught in the wheel of a passing vehicle, but that later was determined to be incorrect.

The boy was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and surgeons were able to reattach his hand.

The community has come out in support of the boy and his mother. More than 500 people turned out for a July 9 event at the Trackside restaurant in Rockland to raise money for medical expenses. Fundraisers have collected more than $30,000.

Pignone’s lawsuit claims that Setz acted negligently in her care and supervision of her grandson. Pignone claims that the negligence included allowing the boy to dangle the rope out the window.

The lawsuit says Pignone is suing as parent of both Noah Keene and his twin brother, Patrick Keene. Pignone’s lawsuit claims that the twin was in the car when the accident occurred and suffered emotional and psychological trauma.

The lawsuit does not specify the amount of damages being sought.

The Bangor Daily News sent a message to Setz through Facebook on Thursday and she said she had no comment.

Pignone is represented by attorney Daniel Kagan of Lewiston.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/07/26/news/midcoast/father-sues-grandmother-of-rockland-boy-whose-hand-was-severed-in-freak-accident/ printed on July 25, 2014