Errant fireworks spark blaze in Ellsworth

Posted July 21, 2012, at 3:46 p.m.
Last modified July 21, 2012, at 4:49 p.m.

ELLSWORTH, Maine — Errant fireworks being set off Saturday afternoon behind a house on Route 230 caused a fire that burned maybe a third of an acre, according to officials.

John Cousins of the Maine Forest Service said that he expects to issue a summons to the homeowner for accidentally starting the blaze.

Boys who live at the Bayside Road home were setting off fireworks behind the house when a small rocket misfired, tumbling into the underbrush instead of taking off into the sky. It set the grass and bushes on fire, sending a plume of smoke wafting into the sky and into neighboring yards. Several neighbors called the local fire department to report the fire.

Firefighters arrived at the scene within a few minutes of the call and quickly had it under control. A few minutes later the flames were extinguished and the smoke dissipated into the air.

Story continues below advertisement.

According to Lt. Daryl Clark of the Ellsworth Fire Department, Saturday’s incident was only the second one the department has responded to involving fireworks since they became legal in Ellsworth on July 1. He said Saturday’s weather and fire conditions were considered moderate.

Follow BDN reporter Bill Trotter on Twitter at @billtrotter.

Recommend this article

SEE COMMENTS →

Similar Articles

More in Hancock