May 25, 2018
Penobscot Latest News | Poll Questions | DHHS Report | Islesboro Ferry | Election 2018

Personal belongings hinder Hudson firefighting efforts

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

HUDSON, Maine — Personal items stacked inside a trailer that caught fire early Friday morning got in the way of firefighters trying to extinguish the blaze, which gutted the rented residence, according to Hudson Fire Chief Mike Simmons.

“The homeowner had a lot of belongs and personal stuff hindering us from getting to the scene of the fire,” the chief said.

The items also provided fuel for the fire, which was reported about 5:45 a.m. by several people who called 911 using cellphones, Simmons said.

“It came in as a working structure fire and when the first unit arrived on scene they found a mobile home three-quarters fully involved,” the fire chief said.

The two people who rent the residence from Robert Hall got out safely, but their pets were not as lucky.

“Two dogs and I believe four cats perished in the fire,” Simmons said.

No injuries were reported among the firefighters who arrived to help.

“We probably had 25 guys from Hudson, Glenburn, Corinth, Charleston and Bradford” on scene, Simmons said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire about 8:30 a.m. and called in investigators from the state fire marshal’s office.

“The fire marshal is investigating right as we speak,” Simmons said about 10 a.m. “The home is gutted.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like