April 27, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Eugene Cole | EMHS | Turkey Hunt

Drunken fight over money at Bangor’s Griffin Park leads to robbery charge

Jeremy Sigouin
By Andrew Neff, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A complaint about two men who apparently were drunk and fighting over money last week resulted in a Class A robbery charge after one of the men reportedly dropped a set of brass knuckles while fleeing from a Bangor police officer.

Hampden resident Jeremy M. Sigouin, 24, was arguing with an unidentified acquaintance when officers saw both men on their hands and knees counting money on the ground at 194 Griffin Road just before midnight on July 9.

According to Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards, who referred to reports filed by three different officers, Officer Kyle Pelkey arrived on the scene first and hung back to listen to both men — neither of whom were aware of Pelkey’s presence.

One man had a bloody gash on his head but seemed unconcerned about it.

The two men were talking about “letting bygones be bygones” if Sigouin returned money that Sigouin may have stolen.

When Pelkey identified himself and approached Sigouin, Sigouin allegedly ran away, but bounced into a hedge and fell face down. Brass knuckles reportedly fell out of Sigouin’s clothing when he fell. Pelkey placed him in handcuffs, arrested him and charged him with Class A robbery.

“Apparently there was a fight and the victim said he’d forget everything if he got his cash back,” said Bangor police Lt. Tom Reagan.

“It’s Class A because it involves an assault with a theft,” Reagan explained. “The DA’s office will review the case to determine appropriate charges, but it could wind up with charges for possession of a concealed weapon and maybe a theft.”

The victim told at least one officer he had been hanging out with people who knew Sigouin and that Sigouin suddenly hit him without provocation and tried to take money — which turned out to be $10 — from him.

“Two officers interviewed the same guy and got two different stories out of him,” said Reagan. “What’s certain now is that one guy had a gash in his head and the other had the knuckles.”

The money was recovered and, according to jail officials, Sigouin is still incarcerated at Penobscot County Jail. He’s being held on $750 cash bail for charges of refusal to stop and submit to an officer, robbery, carrying a concealed weapon and on a warrant for unpaid fines from Lincoln District Court.

According to Bangor Daily News archives, Sigouin was given a $300 fine for criminal threatening in Lincoln District Court last July. In June 2010, he was given a seven-day jail sentence and ordered to pay $29.99 in restitution for theft by unauthorized taking, and in March 2010 was handed a six-month jail sentence and $300 fine for assault. In 2009, he was indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury for robbery and served a three-day jail sentence for theft by unauthorized taking. He also has been convicted of underage drinking, disorderly conduct, theft and operating without a license.

Sigouin has been scheduled for a Sept. 6 court hearing.

BDN writer Dylan Martin contributed to this report.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like