June 24, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Bail hearing for Presque Isle man charged with murder postponed

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

CARIBOU, Maine — A hearing to address bail for a man accused of killing a woman who has been missing for nearly 13 years did not take place as scheduled Wednesday.

The hearing for George Jaime Sr., 75, of Presque Isle, was continued to an as yet unspecified date.

Deputy Attorney General Bill Stokes said Wednesday evening that the case has been assigned to Justice Ann M. Murray, who works out of the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor. Stokes said that scheduling conflicts prevented Wednesday’s hearing.

Jaime remains at the Aroostook County Jail in Houlton, where he is being held without bail.

He was arrested and charged on July 12 with intentional or knowing murder in the death of Starlette Vining, who last was seen alive in October 1998 in the Presque Isle area and who would have been 38 years old at the time. Vining and Jaime were in a relationship in 1998, according to Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

State police, working with the Presque Isle Police Department, arrested Jaime at The Star City Trading Post in Presque Isle. The trading post, a pawn shop, is located in a large apartment house at the corner of Main and State streets, which police searched for four days last week.

Vining’s body has not been found.

According to Vining’s missing person profile on the state police website, she last worked at Smythe’s IGA in Presque Isle. That store closed in July 2007. Described as a dependable employee, Vining suddenly stopped going to work in the fall of 1998 and never returned to pick up her last paycheck.

Vining’s former husband and her three now-adult children told police that they last saw her in 1998.

Maine State Police Detective Josh Haines said that family members reported her missing in October 2006. The detective said the family was not close and Vining tended to relocate often. She did not always keep in touch with her family but she never was out of their lives for more than a few years at a time.

Jaime was represented at his initial appearance last Friday in Aroostook County Superior Court in Caribou by Alan Harding, a Presque Isle attorney. Jaime did not enter a plea.

Few details about the case are known, as Harding successfully argued for a judge to seal an affidavit and search warrant filed by Maine State Police. Harding also filed a motion to preserve evidence in the case.

Stokes said that Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson has been assigned to the case and that his office will not release any more information. More details will be available when the affidavit is unsealed.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like