Greater Bangor Open Golf Tournament to open with pro-am, driving contest

Posted July 17, 2012, at 7:11 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — The 46th Greater Bangor Open Golf Tournament will kick off Wednesday at Bangor Municipal Golf Course with the pro-am starting in the morning followed by the driving contest at 5:30 p.m.

Twenty-four teams will take part in the pro-am, which is made up of foursomes that include a pro who is competing in the GBO plus three amateurs who have received the spots through tournament sponsors.

The regular portion of the three-day, 54-hole tournament gets under way Thursday morning with a field of 103 competitors, up slightly from last year, according to Bangor assistant pro Rob Jarvis.

After the occasional brief thunderstorm and humid conditions Monday and Tuesday, the forecast for the remainder of the week is much better.

“It looks like nice moderate days right through Saturday,” said Jarvis.

That will be a pleasant contrast to last year when the pros were allowed to wear shorts one brutally hot day for the first time in GBO history.

“No shorts [this year],” said Jarvis.

Between the early week precipitation and watering by the club, Jarvis expects the course to be in great shape for everyone.

“We like it to be a touch softer for the pro-am,” said Jarvis. “It’ll just firm up a tad by Saturday.”

Sweet to play for ODU

Maine Amateur champion Seth Sweet will be going south in the fall to play golf.

The 17-year-old from Madison has accepted a scholarship to attend Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va.

“They came after me,” said Sweet.

A friend of Sweet’s, Jameson Randall from Rhode Island, is playing there already and he suggested that ODU coach Murray Rudisill take a look at Sweet.

“A bunch of schools were looking at me,” said Sweet.

Other college programs that showed an interest included Idaho, Minnesota, Connecticut and Methodist, but Sweet was impressed with what ODU offered and liked what he saw in Norfolk.

“It’s an awesome area,” he said.

Harris wants one more shot

JJ Harris of Bath, who finished in a tie for second at the Maine Amateur, hopes that next year’s Amateur does come before the Maine Open next year.

“I might have one more chance to win this before I turn pro,” said Harris, who was also runner-up in 2011.

For the past couple of years the Open has been held in June, about three weeks before the Amateur. Next year, the Maine State Golf Association, which conducts both tournaments, plans to move the Maine Open back to August while keeping the Amateur in early July.

Harris will be a senior at Johnson & Wales University in North Miami, Fla., this fall and wants to turn pro next summer.

He said he wants to play the 2013 Maine Open as a pro, and the proposed schedule change would set him up well for a third straight try to win the Maine Amateur.

“It would be good to have one more shot,” he said.

SEE COMMENTS →

View stories by school

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Sports