May 23, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

Jury visits Rockland crime scenes in Arnold Diana murder trial

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

ROCKLAND, Maine — Jurors in the Arnold Diana murder trial took two field trips Tuesday morning to visit locations crucial to the case.

The jurors met at the Knox County Courthouse at about 8:30 a.m. before getting on a rented Luce Transportation bus and being taken one block away to the Thorndike apartment building. The Thorndike is where the 37-year-old Diana was living in November 2010.

Diana is charged with murder in the Nov. 20, 2010, death of 47-year-old Katrina Windred of Friendship.

The jurors were met at the rear of the Thorndike building by prosecutors, the judge, defense attorney, court officers and Diana, who was in a wheelchair and accompanied by two Knox County Jail corrections officers.

The jurors were not allowed to ask questions but were shown what the rear of the building looks like. They then were walked up Tillson Avenue to the Main Street entrance of the Thorndike.

The jurors were then bused to Thompson Meadow Road where Windred’s body was discovered on Nov. 23 by a man walking his dog.

After the second site visit, the jurors returned to the courthouse where testimony began in the murder trial.

Among the witnesses to testify Tuesday was Windred’s son who is now 12 years old. The Bangor Daily News is not identifying the boy because he is a juvenile.

The boy said on Nov. 20 that his mother left him and their pit bill Anson in the car while she was dropping off groceries to Diana. He said his mother did not return. He could not estimate how long he remained in the vehicle but said he read hundreds of pages of comic books before Diana appeared and told him his mother had gone to sleep because she had received a telephone call and was excited about it because she was going to go out that night.

The boy had testified that his mother, however, had planned on dropping off the groceries and then returning to their Friendship home to have dinner with him and her new boyfriend.

Windred’s son said it was unusual for his mother to not have returned, to leave him and the dog in the car and to sleep during the day.

The boy said when Diana brought him to the apartment at the Thorndike, the door to the bedroom was closed. He said Diana told him not to wake her up. The boy watched an Indiana Jones movie until Diana asked the boy to come with him as he went to the bank to withdraw money from an ATM. Jurors were shown photographs taken from the bank shortly after 6:30 p.m. The boy said it was the same bank his mother used.

After watching more of a movie, Diana said the boy could sleep on the floor in the bedroom. The youngster said he could not see his mother because she was covered on the bed. He said she normally sleeps sitting up because of after effects from cancer that could cause her arm to swell.

When the boy said he could not sleep, he said Diana asked him to leave the bedroom and Diana closed the door. Soon after, Diana let the boy back in to sleep on the bed and the youngster said he saw a figure covered on the floor that he believed was his mother.

When the boy woke up, Diana told him his mother had not returned. They went to breakfast at the Rockland Cafe and then the boy went to Dunkin Donuts with Diana where Diana met a minister. The two then went to the church and Diana was able to find someone to take the boy to his father’s home in Thomaston.

Opening statements were presented Monday afternoon. The prosecution claims that Diana was unable to handle the break up with Windred and killed her in his apartment.

The defense, however, has suggested that another girlfriend of Diana’s is an alternate suspect.

The trial is expected to continue through next Wednesday.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like