View Lebanon, Me. in a larger map
LEBANON, Maine — A Milton, N.H., toddler who fell into a fire pit Sunday morning while camping with her family and who was later airlifted to a Boston hospital suffered second- and third-degree burns to approximately 12 to 14 percent of her body in the accident, according to the Maine fire marshal’s office.
The 2-year-old, who authorities have not identified, was outside playing with family members at the Flat Rock Bridge Family Resort in Lebanon when she accidentally fell into the fire pit, which was still hot with smoldering coals from the previous night.
“The child was outside playing with family when she apparently fell backward into the fire pit,” said Jason Cole, assistant chief of the Lebanon Rescue Department. “The had put the fire out the night before and it continued to smolder all night.”
“Her parents quickly pulled her out,” said Sgt. Joel Davis, of the state fire marshal’s office, who said what happened seemed to be an accident.
Bystanders and campground staff provided first aid until Lebanon Rescue units arrived. The incident was first reported at 6:28 a.m.
Due to the nature and seriousness of her injuries, a medical helicopter was called to assist.
Lebanon paramedics worked to stabilize the girl at the scene before Lebanon Rescue Two transported her to Skydive New England on Upper Guinea Road.
The ambulance met a Dartmouth-Hitchcock Advanced Response Team helicopter at Skydive New England. From there, the child was transported to Boston for her injuries.
“It appears the child was just playing outside with siblings and family, the mom was there with the child outside,” Cole said. “It appears to just be a tragic accident.”
Everyone, including bystanders and campground staff, did an excellent job treating the patient until response teams arrived, he added.
On Monday, Davis said the investigation behind the incident is almost complete, and that officials at the fire marshal’s office still need to interview the toddler’s parents, who had been tending to their child at the medical facility.
“Once the interviews are done we will close it out,” said Davis.
Late Tuesday night Cole issued a statement that late that afternoon, the father of the toddler contacted the rescue and advised that the girl is resting at the hospital in Boston.
According to the father, Tuesday afternoon the child was transferred out of the intensive care unit and into another hospital room. She has many specialists working with her and her family to see what treatments will be necessary.
Her recovery is expected to take a long time, her father related, but she is doing well. The family called to thank all of the rescue members who helped with their daughter.
The family is appreciative of all the support of the community and friends and family.
Staff writer Liz Markhlevskaya contributed to this report.
(c)2012 the Foster’s Daily Democrat (Dover, N.H.)
Visit the Foster’s Daily Democrat (Dover, N.H.) at www.fosters.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services