WINSLOW, Maine — A cigarette that was carelessly discarded into a trash receptacle triggered a fire here Wednesday afternoon.
Winslow Fire Chief David LaFountain said the 20-foot-long container was being used to discard items from a house on Barton Street that was in preparation for resale.
“One of the workers, he tossed the cigarette up over the edge and it landed on a garbage bag,” LaFountain said.
The fire, which broke out at about 1:30 p.m., spread quickly, according to LaFountain, and the crew working on the house attempted to extinguish it with a garden hose without success.
When firefighters arrived, flames were reaching 20-25 feet in the air, LaFountain said.
“If it was closer to the house and the wind was blowing it could’ve easily gotten into the porch and it could’ve been disastrous,” he said.
Crews were able to contain the blaze quickly, LaFountain said. No charges are expected to be filed.