Extension cord malfunction cause of Glenburn mobile home fire

An onlooker stands on the periphery as firefighters from Glenburn, Hudson, Levant and Corinth respond to a fire at this home on Hudson Road in Glenburn on Tuesday afternoon, July 10, 2012. The residence sustained smoke damage.
An onlooker stands on the periphery as firefighters from Glenburn, Hudson, Levant and Corinth respond to a fire at this home on Hudson Road in Glenburn on Tuesday afternoon, July 10, 2012. The residence sustained smoke damage. Buy Photo
Posted July 10, 2012, at 4:04 p.m.
Last modified July 10, 2012, at 9:11 p.m.

GLENBURN, Maine — An electrical problem involving an extension cord in the basement was cited as the cause of a fire Tuesday that damaged the basement of a Hudson Road home and part of the ceiling above it.

The fire at was reported shortly after 3 p.m. by the the couple who live there, whose names were not immediately available, Glenburn Fire Chief David Braley said Tuesday night.

The wife was outside in the garden and the husband was mowing the lawn when the husband saw heavy smoke coming from their mobile home, which has extensions on each side.

Neither were injured, Braley said, adding that their pets — two dogs and two cats — also survived the blaze. The dogs made their way outside and the cats were found underneath the homeowners’ bed, he said.

None of the firefighters who responded were injured, Braley said.

The thick smoke initially made it difficult for firefighters to locate the source of the smoke, however, after opening some windows to ventilate the building, fire crews found the fire in the basement and extinguished it.

Firefighters from several communities assisted at the fire. They were called to a residence on Hudson Road after receiving a report of heavy smoke coming from the residence.

The fire was reported shortly after 3 p.m. Fire crews were advised to use caution because a relatively large amount of ammunition was stored inside the mobile home.

As a precaution, the section of Hudson Road running from Lewis Auto Sales to BJ’s Market was closed to motor vehicle traffic. The roadway reopened around 6 p.m.

Fire crews from Glenburn, Hudson, Corinth, Levant and Bradford turned out to help extinguish the fire, Braley said. A crew from Bangor Hydro-Electric Co. was called in to turn off the power supply.

Braley said the mobile home is insured and appears to be repairable.

CORRECTION:

An earlier version of this story contained an error. Fire crews from Carmel did not assist at the scene. Fire crews from Glenburn, Hudson, Corinth and Levant responded and were working to locate the source of the smoke.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor