Aerosol can injures two in Greenbush after it explodes in campfire

Posted June 29, 2012, at 2:52 p.m.
Last modified June 29, 2012, at 3:55 p.m.

GREENBUSH, Maine — A woman and her son suffered severe burns early Friday when an aerosol can exploded after it was put on a campfire.

Larry Shirland, 42, and Carrie Twitchell, 28, both of Greenbush, and Twitchell’s 11-year-old son were enjoying a campfire at Shirland’s Greenfield Road home just after 2 a.m. Friday when Shirland went inside to get a cardboard box to keep the fire going, according to Sgt. Ken Grimes of the fire marshal’s office.

Shirland was unaware the box contained an aerosol can and when he put the box on the fire the can ruptured, Grimes said.

Shirland suffered minor burns and refused medical treatment at the scene, but Twitchell and her son suffered severe face burns, according to Grimes. They both were taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

The incident still is under investigation, Grimes said, and it’s unknown if Shirland will face charges.

A hospital spokesman said Friday afternoon Twitchell has been transferred to an undisclosed location.

CORRECTION:

An earlier version of this story contained an incorrect age for Carrie Twitchell. She is 28, not 22.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Penobscot