BREWER, Maine — A local man was taken to the hospital early Tuesday evening for treatment of injuries he suffered when a fire broke out in his second floor apartment on Center Street.
Police Chief Perry Antone said the man’s name and age were being withheld Tuesday night pending the notification of family members.
Fire Lt. Mike Mullen said the victim, who was having breathing problems immediately after the fire, was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor for treatment of smoke inhalation.
In addition, the man’s face was burned and his hair was singed before he made his way out of the two-story building, located at 248 Center St., Mullen said. No further information was available about the victim’s medical condition.
Everyone else who was inside the two-story apartment building made it out safely.
According to Antone, the fire was reported about 7 p.m. after the tenant opened the door to his apartment, where the fire is believed to have been smoldering for some time. The infusion of new oxygen fed the fire, causing it to flare up.
Although the fire was put out shortly after fire crews arrived, the building had extensive smoke damage as well as some fire damage.
The building owner’s name and whether it was insured was not immediately available, Mullen and Perry said.
Antone said the state fire marshal’s office has been called in to help pinpoint the fire’s origin and cause.
Mullen said the investigator was on his way to the hospital shortly after 8 p.m. to interview the victim before visiting the fire scene.
Correction: An earlier version of this story contained an error. The address of the fire was erroneously referred to by the Brewer Police Department as 248 Somerset St. The fire occurred at 248 Center St.