VEAZIE, Maine — The state fire marshal’s office has been asked to help pinpoint the cause of a fire early Saturday morning at a three-unit apartment building on Olive Street.
The fire at 1026 Olive St., which housed four tenants, was reported about 2 a.m., when a second-floor tenant was awakened by a smoke detector and found her apartment filled with smoke and called for help, according to a news release issued Saturday by Capt. Pete Metcalf of the Veazie Fire Department.
Metcalf said everyone escaped without injury and that firefighters from Veazie, Orono and Old Town contained the fire within 20 minutes of their arrival. Because of the building’s age and construction style, firefighters remained on scene for several hours making sure the fire did not reignite.
The Pine Tree Chapter of the American Red Cross was called in to assist the tenants, Metcalf said. Though the building had significant smoke and water damage, damage from the fire itself was contained to the area of origin, he said.
It was not immediately clear if the building was insured or if any of the tenants were covered by renters’ insurance.