Three-car pileup slows traffic on Maine Turnpike, police say

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Posted June 15, 2012, at 3:22 p.m.

SCARBOROUGH, Maine — Four people escaped serious injury Friday afternoon in a three-car pileup on the Maine Turnpike near mile marker 40, according to police.

Maine State Police Trooper Anthony Keim said the trouble started when Andrew Hunter, 28, of Cumberland attempted to pass a military convoy and didn’t see a pickup operated by Matthew Graber, 35, of Saco approaching in the middle lane.

After Hunter’s vehicle struck Graber’s, his Subaru hit a military Humvee driven by Philip Reynolds, 24, of Westbrook. All three vehicles were heading southbound.

In the wake of the crash, Hunter’s and Reynolds’ vehicles wound up in the shoulder while Graber’s came to rest in the median, said Keim.

In the aftermath, a piece of debris flew across the highway and hit the windshield of a box truck driven by Charles Lafreniere, 42, of Bethel.

None of the drivers suffered injuries in the crash, Keim said, but it did hinder busy southbound traffic for much of the afternoon. The crash was reported around 1:30 p.m.

“Right now traffic’s getting heavy,” Keim said. “It’s the start of our [tourist] season out here.”

Keim said an unsafe lane change by Hunter was the primary factor in the accident. His vehicle was totaled, while Graber’s pickup had minor damage to the passenger said, and the Humvee had minor scratches.

This marks the second turnpike crash troopers handled Friday after a motorcyclist was injured in a collision in Auburn earlier in the day.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/06/15/news/portland/three-car-pileup-slows-traffic-on-maine-turnpike-police-say/ printed on November 22, 2014