June 19, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Rockland home heavily damaged by fire

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

ROCKLAND, Maine — A home on Broadway was heavily damaged by a fire Thursday morning that was caused by an overloaded extension cord, Fire Chief Charles Jordan Jr. said.

There were no injuries, but Jordan estimated damage to the home of John Mullett at 319 Broadway at $50,000.

The fire was reported at the same time by a neighbor and by South Thomaston Fire Chief Bryan Calderwood, who was driving by shortly before 11 a.m.

The fire was confined to the living room, but the heat was intense and caused extensive damage downstairs and considerable smoke damage to the second floor of the home. Jordan said modern furniture includes a lot of petroleum-based products that can make fires burn more intensely.

The Rockport Fire Department sent two trucks and crews to the fire, but the Rockland department had extinguished the flames within a few minutes, Jordan said.

A state fire marshal investigator was called in and confirmed the finding of the Rockland department that the fire was caused by a stereo system being plugged into an outlet not designed for such equipment.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like