May 22, 2018
Obituaries Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft


HARRINGTON – George Hammond and his wife, Beatrice Hammond, passed away within one week of each other. Beatrice Leona "Bea" Nichols Hammond passed away peacefully May 30, 2012, with family at her bedside at Maine Veterans Home, Bangor. She was born March 4, 1926, to Henry Owen Nichols and Roseanne Beatrice Dolan, and was the fourth of seven children. George Herbert Hammond passed away peacefully Wednesday, June 6, 2012, at Maine Veterans Home, Bangor, just seven days after his wife, Beatrice, passed away. George was born Feb. 20, 1925, to Charles Herbert and Marjorie Bernice (Dorr) Hammond, and was the third of seven children.

They were married May 15, 1945, for 67 years, and lived in Harrington all their lives. They raised five children together. Bea graduated salutatorian of her class in 1944. Bea had a very close relationship with her brothers and sisters, and hosted Nichols family reunions every year from the early 1950s until about 2005. In the 1950s and 1960s, when the children were all small, they had a gathering on Memorial Day and Labor Day. As the children grew older and became more independent the Memorial Day one was dropped. Year after year these events drew 60 to 80 family members. At the age of 50 Bea went to college at the University of Maine at Machias, graduating in 1976. After graduating she was employed by a bank in Machias. George quit high school during World War II to join the Army, Sept. 8, 1943. He was in Company F, 329th Division of the 83rd Infantry – the "Thunderbolt Division." He went ashore in Normandy on D-day plus three. In August he was wounded in Northern France. In fall 1945 he was shot while deer hunting. Soon after the war he went into the oil business with his brother, Elijah. In the late 1940s he shipped out on the great lakes and Gulf of Mexico. Between 1950 and 1955 he went lobstering and moved the whole family to Fosters Island for the summers. In the mid-1950s he became a carpenter and was a member of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters LU 621. He worked on construction all throughout New England. In Maine he worked on the Winter Harbor, Bucks Harbor and Cutler military bases, and Woodland Paper Mill. He started Hammond Construction Co. in the 1960s. He plowed the roads for the town of Harrington for 20 years. He was a hard worker and seemed to enjoy working. In the 1960s George and Bea bought a small lot on Guard Point, Harrington, and camped there often while raising their three youngest children. He hauled fill while Dave cleared the land and Bea dragged the brush to the burn pile. They built the camp together. George enjoyed lobster fishing and he would often dig a mess of clams right in front of the camp. George and Bea retired in 1988 and moved to a new home on their beloved Guard Point oceanfront property. She loved baking, writing short stories, assembling Heathkit electronics, crosswords and Scrabble. During the 1980s she bowled weekly as a member of the Roadrunners. For most of her adult life she belonged to a local ladies social club simply called Club. She was a member of United Methodist Church, Columbia Falls, and United Methodist Women. During her retirement she worked out almost daily at Harrington Fitness Center. George’s hobbies included photography, boat model building and model trains. George and Bea loved to travel. Together they traveled throughout the U.S., Eastern Canada and Europe. They took cruises to Bermuda, the Caribbean and Alaska. They often traveled with his brothers or Bea’s sisters, and their spouses. They spent many winters in Florida living in their RV and often spent vacations at Myrtle Beach with George’s brothers and their spouses.

George is survived by a brother, Wayne Hammond and his wife, Alice; his sister, Eloise and her husband, Douglas Look; and sisters-in-law, Hilda and Betty Hammond. He was predeceased by seven days by his wife, Beatrice; his parents, Charles Herbert and Marjorie Bernice (Dorr) Hammond; and his brothers, Elijah, Bernard, Arnold and Francis Hammond. Bea is survived by a sister, Natalie Nichols Wass and her husband, Robert, of Hampden; and a sister-in-law, Hilda Nichols. Bea was predeceased by her parents, Henry and Rose Nichols; her brothers, Chester, Henry Jr. and Robert Nichols; sisters, Madeline Nichols Kennedy and Gwendolyn Nichols Faulkingham. George and Bea are survived by their children, Charles H. Hammond and his wife, Roberta, of Columbia Falls, Starr Elaine Snyder of Houston, David P. Hammond and his wife, Wanda, of Milbridge, Linda Spaulding and her husband, Myron, of Waldorf, Md., and Gayle Bragg and her husband, James of Georgetown; grandchildren, Karen Snyder Olmstead and her husband, Scott, of Sealy, Texas, Corey Snyder of New York City, Derek Snyder of New York City, Chadwick M. Hammond and his wife, Carol Vose, of Columbia Falls, Christopher N. Hammond of Brunswick, Barrett Hammond and his wife, Deb, of Orono, Jeremy Hammond and his wife, Elise, of Auburn, Benjamin Helinski of Portland and Amanda Helinski of Georgetown; and great-grandchildren, Emma Elz-Hammond of Orono, Rufus Hammond of Columbia Falls, Geoffery Olmstead and Greggorie Olmstead of Sealy, Texas. They were predeceased by a grandson, Daniel Helinski.

A combined funeral ceremony for George and Bea will be held 1 p.m. Wednesday, June 13, at Columbia Falls United Methodist Church. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Columbia Falls United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 72, Columbia Falls, ME 04623 and Alzheimer’s Association, P.O. Box 96011, Washington, DC 20090-6011. Arrangements by Bragdon-Kelley Funeral Home, Milbridge.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like