June 25, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Red Meat Allergy | Foraging | Ranked-Choice Voting

Camden man admits to robbing Rockport pharmacy

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

ROCKLAND, Maine — A 31-year-old Camden man faces up to three years in prison after he pleaded guilty Wednesday morning to robbing a Rockport pharmacy last fall.

William Glaude entered his guilty pleas in Knox County Superior Court before Justice William Brodrick.

Under terms of a sentence agreement between Glaude and the district attorney’s office, the sentence will be seven years in prison with all but three years suspended. The three years is a cap and the defense can argue for lesser time at the sentencing hearing. Glaude also will be placed on probation for three years under the agreement.

The sentencing is expected to be held June 29. Defense attorney Justin Andrus said he wanted time to prepare for defense arguments at the sentencing hearing.

Glaude also pleaded guilty to possession of oxycodone, failure to appear, unauthorized use of vehicle and violating a condition of bail. Justice Brodrick noted that the maximum sentence that Glaude could have faced without the sentence agreement would have been 15 years and six months in prison.

Glaude was arrested after the Nov. 8 robbery at Kennebec Pharmacy. Assistant District Attorney Chris Fernald said that evidence would have been presented at a trial to show that a man wearing a cap and sunglasses, with a star tattoo on his neck, gave a note to a pharmacist asking for all the oxycodone and to be quiet and do it quickly.

The suspect also had his hands in his pockets, which caused the staff to be in fear because of previous robberies in the area.

He then was given the oxycodone and fled the pharmacy. A witness spotted Glaude leaving and got a description of the vehicle and a license plate number.

A still photo taken from a pharmacy surveillance video then was published in various local newspapers, Fernald said. A resident recognized Glaude and his tattoo and contacted police.

Police went to a mobile home in Camden where Glaude lives and found him hiding in a bedroom closet. Oxycodone from the pharmacy was found and Glaude was arrested.

Glaude was later released on bail but failed to adhere to terms of the release and was arrested again. He remains in the Knox County Jail. He appeared in court in orange jail garb, shackled at the waist and ankles.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like