June 20, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Police still interviewing people involved in First Street fatal stabbing

Kevin Bennett | BDN
Kevin Bennett | BDN
Bangor Police officer Rob Angelo and his K-9, Karan, search for clues near 67 First St. during the stabbing investigation on Tuesday, May 22, 2012, which left one man dead.
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Police continue to piece together what happened two weeks ago when a man was fatally stabbed on First Street during a disturbance involving a group of people, Bangor police Detective Sgt. Paul Kenison said Tuesday.

“We’re working on it. This isn’t ‘CSI,’” the detective said, referring to the popular TV show. “It doesn’t end in an hour.”

No arrests have been made and police are releasing few details about the homicide of Andy D. Smith, 38, who was mortally stabbed with some type of weapon at around 1:45 a.m. May 22. He later died at Eastern Maine Medical Center and the state medical examiner’s office determined his death was a homicide.

“It takes time to sort through everything and figure out who did what,” Kenison said.

Noting that “not everyone tells the truth,” he said police are using interviewing techniques to try to figure out what happened.

Police are not releasing any information about the weapon, including whether it has been taken as evidence, Kenison said.

“I can’t really talk about that,” the detective said. “It’s all evidence.”

Police arrived at the scene of the stabbing, the area of 69 and 71 First St., within minutes of the 911 call, he has said.

Several people were interviewed the night of the incident, and “we’re re-interviewing some of the same people,” Kenison said.

Some of the people involved in the fight don’t have permanent addresses, which has slowed the process, the detective said.

“It takes a lot of time to track people down,” Kenison said.

An eyewitness and friend of Smith told the Bangor Daily News that Smith was arguing with a woman he once lived with out in the street when another woman intervened.

The second woman, who lives at 71 First St.,“came out with a two-by-four and she hit him,” apparently in defense of the first woman, said Eugene “Shawn” Cox, a resident of 69 First St. “He got the two-by-four away from her and she called for her friends. They all started on him.”

Seconds later, Smith was bleeding from a wound to his left rib area and was trying to get away. Cox did not see who stabbed his friend, whom he had met in middle school.

“I ran down with a pipe” and met Smith at the bottom of the steps, he said.

The last thing Smith said to his longtime friend was “to tell his kids that he loved them,” Cox said.

Smith was a 1992 graduate of Hermon High School and had studied at the University of Maine Augusta, then known as the University College of Bangor, according to his obituary.

“Andy was a dive master instructor in the Florida Keys and worked in construction in the family business,” the obituary said. A celebration of his life was held on May 27.

Smith recently had lived in Mendocino, Calif., according to his Facebook page, and moved back to the area three or four months ago because he has two children, ages 7 and 11, who live in Orono, his friend said.

All of the department’s detectives responded to the scene initially, and Detectives Brent Beaulier and Tim Cotton now are heading up the investigation.

People following the case should “just hold on” because homicide investigations take time, Kenison said.

Police still are looking for people who have information about the fatal stabbing. Those with information about the case may call the Bangor Police Department at 947-7382. The department’s anonymous tip line can be reached by pressing ext. 6.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like